Christmas Temporary forum for Christmas seasonal topics

Old 30 Dec 18, 11:56 AM  
Link to this Post
Bozza
Imagineer

Bozza's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 49
Originally Posted by Powlay View Post
As a kid Christmas was awesome, a few weeks off school. Dark nights, everyone tree's and lights viable through the windows. Football on a morning, come back throw off our muddy clothes and get a shower and warm by the fire ready for the movies that would be coming on as it was dark.

Playing with new toys after father christmas came, new caseys (footballs), new tops, and if you were lucky new keepers gloves. Then the same through new year. Having family round, then going outside for 12 to bring in the new year. Looking down our street and walking to the wall to shake hands with the many other men and sons stood outside bringing in the new year to their homes. Passing about coal so we all had some, passing about silver coins, and breaking open loafs of bread. Then knocking and going in. (i also had to do this at a few other houses where women were single or had lost their husbands etc and of course i didnt mind this because there were two stunners on our street who would invite me in then id get a new years kiss and ahem... more as i got older haha )

Now as a adult, i see friends and family taking down the christmas decorations a few days after the day and boxing it all up and tidying up. They have kids and i think to myself whats the point? Why go to all the trouble of spending a huge amount to close Christmas down a day after?

Dont get me wrong i understand situations like the opening posters, youre going away dont want to come back to it.

But loads of people are not going away and do it. Sad times. Christmas is more than a day!
Agree with this wholeheartedly.

We're in no rush at all and, looking at the calendar, I suspect it will be the 5th January for us which is just after the kids go back to school.

I love the timelessness of the Christmas to New Year period when we lose track of times and days. Other than walking the dog, we may not leave the house during the day and the kids can stay in their PJs all day if they want.

It's a special time of no pressure and none of the regular demands that life asks of us all.

Part One
Part Two
Bozza is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Dec 18, 03:20 PM  
Link to this Post
suehen
Imagineer

Our will be coming down on the 5th or 6th Jan hate it when people put the up in November and take them down day after boxing day. I love taking the dog for a walk in the evenings with the trees in the windows and Decorations at the moment, last night I took our granddaughter with us for walk she loved looking out for lights and trees and counting them all.
suehen is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Dec 18, 05:30 PM  
Link to this Post
KFJames
Imagineer

KFJames's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Mine are down now...had a good clean round as they have been up since 2nd December. If I had little ones then I would keep them up. Christmas has changed so much now with everything open again on boxing day... it always used to be a big thing with the January sales but sales are all year round now
Old 30 Dec 18, 06:14 PM  
Link to this Post
sammykitten
Imagineer

mine will be up until 12th night, I love my Christmas lights and keep them up as long as I possibly can each year.
sammykitten is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 31 Dec 18, 10:06 PM  
Link to this Post
cdavenport
Imagineer

cdavenport's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 3
Our inside decorations came down today and are all back in the loft, would have done it at the weekend but we have to take DS back to his RAF base, so today was the only day available as DH is back at work on Wednesday.
Oct 93-Best Western, Oct '95-Villa Davenport, Oct '96-Hotel Kissimmee, Nov '98-Villa Westridge, Nov '00-Port Richey, Oct '02-Cypress Point/BlueTree Resort, Oct '03-Mystic Dunes, Dec '05-NYC/Westgate Resort/Regal Palms, Dec '07-Polynesian Isles/Regal Palms, May '09-Villa, Dec '09-Orange Lake Resort, Aug '10 SSR/Cypress Point/Indian Wells, Jul '12- Calabay Parc, Apr '14-Villa, Marbella Resort, Jul/Aug '15-SSR/Villa Cypress Point, Oct '16-Ramada Plaza Resort, Jul '17-OKW/Villa
cdavenport is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 31 Dec 18, 10:23 PM  
Link to this Post
Kd0758
Very Serious Dibber

Ours came down yesterday and I’ve been spending today saying stuff like ‘does something usually go in that gap?’.
Kd0758 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Jan 19, 09:00 PM  
Link to this Post
HappyPanda
Apprentice Imagineer

I really wanted to take ours down today - it seemed fitting as I'm back to work tomorrow but DD has convinced me to leave it up until twelfth night as it's traditional to do so! I just can't wait to have all that space back in my lounge!
HappyPanda is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Jan 19, 10:07 PM  
Link to this Post
djewkes
VIP Dibber

DH took the majority of the decs down on Sunday, partly because we had a family party last night and wanted to reduce the risk of breakages with the little ones (10 grandchildren)... still have the baubles on the tree but the “tree” is one of the lit branches and stays up all year round with different decs for Easter, Halloween etc... and the winter village is still up because it takes ages to put up and pack away...

May 2012 3 weeks Highgate villa, RPR & Barefoot Beach Resort
May 2010 2 weeks The Point Orlando Resort & Clearwater
djewkes is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Jan 19, 10:36 PM  
Link to this Post
Ciano
Imagineer

Ciano's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Mobile

All ours are down and back in the attic. Really enjoyed the Xmas and break from work but back to norm tomorrow so delighted they are all gone away. Hubbie scrubbed the house too with the kids while I washed and ironed. Very productive day!