Notices
Car Hire & Transportation Discuss the best way of getting around Florida.

Old 16 Feb 19, 12:50 PM  
Link to this Post
skegby
Looking for my Ears

Originally Posted by cornishfrogboy View Post
I am hiring a Mustang Convertible (Holiday Inn Universal 29 July to MIA 09 August, Budget car hire £438). I have never hired a Mustang before, hence my question...

Clearly, we will be moving at some time from Orlando to MIA in order to collect our flight. This will be achieved by a gulf coast run and spending our last night in Naples before driving the Tamiami causeway to our flight. We will be carrying all of our baggage, plus our boys of 13 and 16.

We will have 4x Cabin bags only that are in the region of 55x45x25. I am guessing that with the roof down, the trunk will have more than enough length and width 90x 110 or similar. Will I have 25 cm or so of depth? I am guessing so, but wouldn't mind the opinion of a person with real experience.
We're doing the same in April with two girls (9+12) in the back. Bit concerned with the leg room also. I originally booked with Budget for £440 but have read a lot about poor condition cars, very long waits at the desk and extortionate toll charge fees. After advice on here I have booked with Alamo (via Virgin Holidays) for £570 which includes online check-in so that you go straight to your car and the cheapest toll costs. Most reviews say the cars are in really good condition also.

Edited at 12:59 PM.
skegby is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Feb 19, 01:23 PM  
Link to this Post
cornishfrogboy
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by skegby View Post
We're doing the same in April with two girls (9+12) in the back. Bit concerned with the leg room also. I originally booked with Budget for £440 but have read a lot about poor condition cars, very long waits at the desk and extortionate toll charge fees. After advice on here I have booked with Alamo (via Virgin Holidays) for £570 which includes online check-in so that you go straight to your car and the cheapest toll costs. Most reviews say the cars are in really good condition also.
I have used budget on our last 4 or 5 vacations, but never picked up from the MCO desk where most of the complaints seem to emanate from, rather

San Francisco by Bay Bridge and drop at LAX
Pensacola International and drop at Daytona Beach.
Holiday Inn Universal end and drop at Miami Int
Miami Int and drop at MCO.

We have always been very happy with them. This time we have 2 Budget hires.
1. A pick up at Dayton Int Ohio, 3 days use and a drop at Northern Kentucky Int.
2. The Mustang pick up at Holiday Inn Universal end , 11 days hire and a drop at Miami International.

Touch wood, once again all will be fine!

2005 onwards.. lots of times!

Index of all my Trip and Pretrip reports..https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho...6#post15662196
cornishfrogboy is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Feb 19, 05:18 PM  
Link to this Post
skegby
Looking for my Ears

Originally Posted by cornishfrogboy View Post
I have used budget on our last 4 or 5 vacations, but never picked up from the MCO desk where most of the complaints seem to emanate from, rather

San Francisco by Bay Bridge and drop at LAX
Pensacola International and drop at Daytona Beach.
Holiday Inn Universal end and drop at Miami Int
Miami Int and drop at MCO.

We have always been very happy with them. This time we have 2 Budget hires.
1. A pick up at Dayton Int Ohio, 3 days use and a drop at Northern Kentucky Int.
2. The Mustang pick up at Holiday Inn Universal end , 11 days hire and a drop at Miami International.

Touch wood, once again all will be fine!
Just grabbed the bull by the horns and sat in one and took our luggage at a local dealer who has one (a 5.0L GT at Cult Status Cars in Westbury, Wiltshire). See pictures in my profile album...

Conclusion:
Interior - can fit 4 with some careful seat adjustment but don't put anyone taller than 5' in the back.

Trunk - Squashy cases are the key as the trunk height reduces significantly towards the rear. Our large rigid side case wouldn't push all the way in but a squashy one would. In this case you could get a large, medium cases + a few rucksacks in no problem...
skegby is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Feb 19, 05:36 PM  
Link to this Post
lindaj
Imagineer

We have had two Mustangs. There was only two of us, with two medium suitcases and one cabin bag and we had to drive all the way to the villa with the hood down so we could put the suitcases on the back seat because they wouldn't fit into the boot (not even one on it's own would go in the boot' Still worth it though, my other half loved driving it.
Old 16 Feb 19, 05:42 PM  
Link to this Post
cornishfrogboy
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by skegby View Post
Just grabbed the bull by the horns and sat in one and took our luggage at a local dealer who has one (a 5.0L GT at Cult Status Cars in Westbury, Wiltshire). See pictures in my profile album...

Conclusion:
Interior - can fit 4 with some careful seat adjustment but don't put anyone taller than 5' in the back.

Trunk - Squashy cases are the key as the trunk height reduces significantly towards the rear. Our large rigid side case wouldn't push all the way in but a squashy one would. In this case you could get a large, medium cases + a few rucksacks in no problem...
That is awesome. Thankyou very much.

2005 onwards.. lots of times!

Index of all my Trip and Pretrip reports..https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho...6#post15662196
cornishfrogboy is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List