Notices
Car Hire & Transportation Discuss the best way of getting around Florida.

Old 19 Feb 19, 02:29 PM  
Link to this Post
Swords_Dublin
Gone all Goofy

Avis collection time window

Hi, we have car hire in May booked through BA/Avis.
We were due to collect car at 20:00 but with a flight time change we will now be collecting it closer to 21:45.

I rang BA to see about amending it but cost is approx €90 and the agent said leaving it is an option as it's not a big time difference.

Does anyone know what sort of window Avis would allow for late collection?

Our flights are not booked with BA so Avis will not be aware of flight numbers etc.
Swords_Dublin is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Feb 19, 02:39 PM  
Link to this Post
mick
VIP Dibber

mick's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Absolutely no problem at all.

Assume you're into MCO which is a 24/7 operation and drivers picking up cars from 12.01am to 11.59pm constantly. They are used to planes being late.

Are you flying from the RoI as a domestic arrival? If not it could take anything between 15 minutes to 2 hours getting through immigration.

Don't waste your money amending the booking. The important thing to note is that car hire is charged in 24 hour increments timed from driving out through the barrier. Drive out at 22.00 just try and get it back for 21.59. Alamo have grace periods but not sure about Avis.

Mick
Old 19 Feb 19, 02:41 PM  
Link to this Post
Swords_Dublin
Gone all Goofy

Thanks, yes flying from ROI so will have customers cleared in Dublin
Swords_Dublin is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Feb 19, 09:55 AM  
Link to this Post
therealnitr8
I want to go now!

I believe Avis have a 30 min grace period, but you may not want to test that.

In 2017 my wife fainted going through customs and as such we were 2.5 hours late getting to our car. Avis had actually cancelled the booking thinking we were no shows. I am signed up with Avis preferred so went to the garage counter and said my name is not on the board and he said its been cancelled but not to worry I will recreate you one now for the same price and it was sorted within seconds.
therealnitr8 is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Feb 19, 12:14 PM  
Link to this Post
sotagals
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by therealnitr8 View Post

In 2017 my wife fainted going through customs and as such we were 2.5 hours late getting to our car. Avis had actually cancelled the booking thinking we were no shows. I am signed up with Avis preferred so went to the garage counter and said my name is not on the board and he said its been cancelled but not to worry I will recreate you one now for the same price and it was sorted within seconds.
I've never heard of that happening before.

I was more than 24 hours late once with no problem other than a lot of tutting and typing at the Preferred desk.

Also been early and late with no problems.

As Mick says the rental will start when you pick up the car. Don't waste money amending.
sotagals is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Feb 19, 01:17 PM  
Link to this Post
Mr Tom Morrow
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 3
This is the Avis USA T & C's

We understand you might be delayed, especially if you’re arriving by air. To keep your journey hassle free, we always work around you where possible.

Just remember to tell us your flight number when you book your vehicle so we can be prepared.

However much your flight is delayed, your hire vehicle will be ready for you.

If you're hiring a car from a location other than an airport and are delayed by more than an hour, please call. Our telephone number is on your booking confirmation, or look it up.

"PAGING MR MORROW, MR TOM MORROW..."

''I drink Wine and know things''

DVC Owners at SSR since 2003.
Multiple annual visits to America since 1976
Mr Tom Morrow is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Feb 19, 01:48 PM  
Link to this Post
Ridersmom
Imagineer

I am often late to pick up cars, both at an airport and at non airport locations and have never had a problem getting my reservation honored. While I think 24 hours may be pushing it, a few hours has never been an issue.
Ridersmom is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Feb 19, 01:55 PM  
Link to this Post
PPM
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by therealnitr8 View Post

So it wasn’t much of a problem in the end. I must admit I’ve never heard of this until your example here. Could it be that the name comes off the preferred board aftera certain time? Very unusual, glad it was sorted quickly.
PPM is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Feb 19, 01:56 PM  
Link to this Post
therealnitr8
I want to go now!

Originally Posted by sotagals View Post
I've never heard of that happening before.

I was more than 24 hours late once with no problem other than a lot of tutting and typing at the Preferred desk.

Also been early and late with no problems.

As Mick says the rental will start when you pick up the car. Don't waste money amending.
Dont get me wrong it wasn't a problem, it just meant i had to go to the counter instead of straight to the bay listed on the board.
therealnitr8 is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List