Notices
General Trip Planning Other Holiday Planning.

Old 19 Feb 19, 01:54 PM  
Link to this Post
amarooney
VIP Dibber

amarooney's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1
We also stayed on the Riviera Maya at the Barcelo Maya Beach which is part of a large complex. Lovely hotel, spoilt on the last night when US teenagers come down for Independence Day weekend, saw that is not only Brits are a pain in the *ss when drunk. There was a small town/village nearby, cant remember the name no problems there. If you do go then book a trip to Chichen Itza, it's great day out.
amarooney is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Feb 19, 02:19 PM  
Link to this Post
jsl0801
Very Serious Dibber

We have booked 2 weeks in Luxury Bahia Principe Akumal Adults Only on 7th June, part of a large complex with 4 different hotels. I was seriously going to cancel yesterday as people keep puting on photos of all the wildlife they have saw including snakes, tarantulas - it is seriously giving me the heebie jeebies.. My sister is telling me not to cancel as it is truly amazing she has been 4 times... Got another 2 weeks before the balance is due so can still change holidays with TUI.
Old 19 Feb 19, 02:29 PM  
Link to this Post
Trouble3
Apprentice Imagineer

Trouble3's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by jsl0801 View Post
We have booked 2 weeks in Luxury Bahia Principe Akumal Adults Only on 7th June, part of a large complex with 4 different hotels. I was seriously going to cancel yesterday as people keep puting on photos of all the wildlife they have saw including snakes, tarantulas - it is seriously giving me the heebie jeebies.. My sister is telling me not to cancel as it is truly amazing she has been 4 times... Got another 2 weeks before the balance is due so can still change holidays with TUI.
I've stayed on the same complex at GP Coba. Please don't worry about the wildlife, it's always there (in other countries too) and most don't see it (I didn't in the 2 week holiday I was there). I did however have great fun watching the Iguana's, Racoons, Agouti and best of all the Coati... all from my sunlounger.

The location is fab for getting the local Collectivo to Playa del Carmen and Tulum (getting to Tulum ruins early, before the hordes arrive in the coaches is worth it).

Edited at 02:31 PM.
Trouble3 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Feb 19, 02:30 PM  
Link to this Post
Myakka17
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by jsl0801 View Post
This is where I was thinking not Cancun or somewhere nearer to Playacar so it'd be easier to get out.

I really don't want to feel like I'm on a site and can't get off.

I think I'll pyoderma this.
Old 19 Feb 19, 02:44 PM  
Link to this Post
Bellasmummy
Imagineer

We’ve been 4 times, staying in Tulum, Riviera Maya and Cancun.

Cancun is my least favourite and whilst I didn’t feel unsafe walking around during the day we didn’t venture away from the resort at night so I’m not sure what that would have been like.

My favourite is Tulum, slightly biased as we were married there, but it was a lovely place with plenty of sightseeing around, albeit not walkable.
Bellasmummy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Feb 19, 04:22 PM  
Link to this Post
novocastrian
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Bellasmummy View Post
We’ve been 4 times, staying in Tulum, Riviera Maya and Cancun.

Cancun is my least favourite and whilst I didn’t feel unsafe walking around during the day we didn’t venture away from the resort at night so I’m not sure what that would have been like.

My favourite is Tulum, slightly biased as we were married there, but it was a lovely place with plenty of sightseeing around, albeit not walkable.
this ^ we went to 'downtown' during the day but not at night

TBH Cancun didnt really feel like Mexico was more like the US*, its not somewhere i would rush back to to be honest, especially with the recent publicity. other areas might be perfectly fine

* this was 20 years ago
novocastrian is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Feb 19, 04:52 PM  
Link to this Post
DonnaD
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by Myakka17 View Post
This is where I was thinking not Cancun or somewhere nearer to Playacar so it'd be easier to get out.

I really don't want to feel like I'm on a site and can't get off.

I think I'll pyoderma this.
We stayed in a condo in Downtown Playa Del Carmen for two weeks over Christmas. Nothing like the big all inclusive hotels others have mentioned. We were out and about all the time and felt perfectly safe. There are lots of well organized excursions to book.
Years ago DH and I hired a car and went all over. There is a lot more traffic now and we are perfectly happy to walk and use taxis for longer trips.

There was a shooting just after we left but once again it was no where near the tourist areas.
Old 23 Feb 19, 04:39 PM  
Link to this Post
anna68
VIP Dibber

anna68's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Mobile

We went to Mexico as a couple in 2009 then again with our daughter in 2013. Both times to hotels about 45 mins south of airport on the riviera maya. We loved both trips. The first one we went out more into playa deal carmen, onto Cozumel and hired a jeep etc. I've looked to go back over the last year, I'm afraid the current climate out there doesn't make me want to take my daughter. There was a bomb attempt on ferry to Cozumel, there have been stabbings on tourist beaches albeit not aimed at tourists and there have been robberies in resort. Clearly this is still the minority in what is a massively tourist area. Our government are not advising against travel so in theory it's safe. Guess it's personal preference. We went to Antigua instead.
anna68 is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Feb 19, 05:52 PM  
Link to this Post
YorkshireT
Imagineer

I stayed in Playacar 20 years ago.
Back then it was a nice place on the 'Mayan Riviera'.
Had a day trip into Cancun, I couldn't wait to leave. It seemed like a third world Miami with touts trying to sell you every known tat under the sun. It may have improved since then.
We stayed in the Rui but lots of upset stomachs. I don't go anywhere with high food poisoning risks nowadays as my stomach has been bad ever since that trip, I'm not sure if it's coincidence or related to a dose I picked up there.

Edited at 05:54 PM.
YorkshireT is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Feb 19, 06:11 PM  
Link to this Post
macdonald
Imagineer

My Canadian friend was in Acapulco market about 10 years ago & was stabbed in the back by a local after taking her purse...I would only stay in the complex
macdonald is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List