Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 17 Feb 19, 10:28 AM  
Link to this Post
DISNEYALI
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 1
Mobile Please tell me all about British Airways club world

Looking at Virgin they only have the later flight available where I would prefer to go earlier both ways. And they cannot say either way if an earlier flight will be available or would possibly be merged so I am looking at BA club class.
Please give me details of your experiences of the cabin food etc anything really thank you
DISNEYALI is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Feb 19, 11:17 AM  
Link to this Post
neilhd
Imagineer

We've done it a few times. It's not as good as, say, Emirates, but it's still perfectly enjoyable. Not all seats have direct aisle access so you might either have to step over someone's feet (if they have their footstool down) or have someone step over your feet. The layout is 2-1-2-1-2 with a mix of forward and backward facing and the 1-2-1 portion being in the middle. As a couple, we like the middle 2 which are rear-facing but have a good amount of privacy and are like your own private little area.

Food is good - no complaints about it at all. Service has always been good, too. Seats lie flat, and are comfortable. nice White Company linen and pillows.
Old 17 Feb 19, 03:24 PM  
Link to this Post

It is our usual flight; AM flight in CW from LGW. In truth it isn’t our favourite (Virgin UC is the better direct flight option) but it is usually much cheaper based on when we want to travel.

Landslide at LGW (not sure where you are flying from) is decent. Priority check in but no real benefit if using twilight check in. Priority security but it saves 10min at most as security at LGW has always been quick in our experience.

The lounge is very decent. And much better than what they had when based out of the North terminal.

CW seats are really comfortable. Within the last 18months they have upgraded their bedding, duvet and pillows - love that pillow. Food is very good but pre-order if you know what you want in advance as they give priority based on ranking within the exec club.

To our horror they don’t provide clotted cream with their scones anymore. Probally the worst thing about out last outbound flight ha!

Avoid the aisle seats for night flights; even if travelling as a couple the window seats are the more private and comfortable option.

Edited at 03:33 PM.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Feb 19, 03:25 PM  
Link to this Post
Peko
Imagineer

The comparison will depend to some extent on which route/aircraft you’re talking about, since some aspects vary. Assuming LGW-MCO, this is a comparison of Virgins 747 Upper Class vs BA’s 777 Club World.

> Check-in: no major difference, both have dedicated check-in and offer twilight bag check at LGW.

> Lounge: I haven’t seen the new VS Clubhouse at LGW, but generally they are a step up from BA’s Club Lounges. The new BA Club Lounge at LGW is actually quite nice, but I would expect Virgin to maintain advantage here.

> Cabin: on the refurbished 777 (which are more likely on the MCO route), you’ll have a 32 seat cabin in the layout mentioned by the poster above. The Virgin layout on the 747 offers more privacy, but I’m personally not a fan of their “herringbone” layout with the sidewalls giving a slight coffin-like feeling. BA window seats offer a lot of privacy, the others less so for a solo traveller (especially the centre pairs, these are really for people who know each other well, or would like to ). My preferred seats as a solo traveller would be the window seats at the back of a cabin section, since these also offer direct aisle access.

* Be aware that unless you have status with BA/oneworld, buy a flexible fare or are eligible through disability / travelling with an infant, you will have to pay for advance seat slelection with BA. If you want a window seat, advance booking will probably be essential. Factor this cost into your price comparison, it can be up to £100 each way.

> Seat: the Virgin seat is slightly wider, though unlikely to be a big issue unless you are quite large. The BA seat is much more adjustable for lounging positions. As mentioned above, you may find yourself stepping over people or being stepped over, though it’s not usually very frequent.

> can’t make a recent comparison on the Virgin food, though others I know say it has gone downhill a bit. BA’s went quite far downhill, but has recently improved. You can preorder main course on the outbound, but not the return. Wines and other alcoholic drinks on BA are good, soft drink choice a bit basic. BA doesn’t have an onboard bar like Virgin.

> IFE: the refurbished BA LGW 777s have been fitted with the latest IFE, which is very good. The IFE in the unrefurbished 777s isn’t great (a bit less choice and a lot less quality of picture). Some of the aircraft have WiFi, your chances of this on the MCO route are currently a bit under 50%, but increasing all the time.

As you go up the cabins in air travel, a lot of it comes down to personal preference and what is important to you, since there are many elements to consider. Price and schedule also matter, which of course is why you’re asking the question.

Hope this helps, though some advice will change if you have a different route/aircraft comparison.

Edited at 03:29 PM.
Peko is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Feb 19, 03:40 PM  
Link to this Post
loldis
Imagineer

I'm not a fan of the Club seat layout so prefer Virgin in this category, but I'd fly it as long as one of the good window seats was available.
loldis is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Feb 19, 07:31 PM  
Link to this Post
Wordsworth
Very Serious Dibber

Others have already said much of what I would, but I last flew Club with BA in Nov/Dec. I have pics in my food report of the meals and I’m pleased to say that we did get clotted cream with our scones LOL. It’s not the best business class on offer but it’s good enough to be comfortable for the duration of the flight, and that’s what I want really. DH and I will always take a pair of seats at the window side on the aisle, as we don’t mind flying backwards.
Wordsworth is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Feb 19, 08:06 PM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by Wordsworth View Post
Others have already said much of what I would, but I last flew Club with BA in Nov/Dec. I have pics in my food report of the meals and I’m pleased to say that we did get clotted cream with our scones LOL.
This is big news lol. I think half the cabin made some reference to the cabin crew on our flight.. they must have undone the change since
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Feb 19, 12:29 AM  
Link to this Post
Wordsworth
Very Serious Dibber

Originally Posted by WorldDrive View Post
This is big news lol. I think half the cabin made some reference to the cabin crew on our flight.. they must have undone the change since
Not surprising, I would have kicked off if there had been no clotted cream. It was bad enough they ran out of baileys on the return!
Wordsworth is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Feb 19, 07:53 PM  
Link to this Post
Pussycat Doll
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 1
You can see the seats and food in my latest trippie ‘whilst shepherds watch their flocks, we’ll fly to florida’

I prefer virgin UC but their prices have been scary recently so we’ve flown Club a couple of times and again next Christmas
Pussycat Doll is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List