Notices
Additional Support Needs & DAS Help & advice

Old 27 Dec 17, 11:47 AM  
Link to this Post
ansi41
VIP Dibber

DLA to PIP for 16 year old...Update page 2

Hi there folks, hope you all had a lovely Christmas.
The dreaded time has come as my DS is 16 in April next year so I had a letter a couple of weeks ago asking if he needed an appointee for filling the forms in etc. Just before Christmas I had a phone call from DWP (I think ) saying they will need to come out and see us both so they are coming on DS first day back at school...great :angry:
So what does this interview entail? DS has aspergers and gets very nervous and anxious so just a bit of a heads up for him so I can explain what will happen.
If I don't reply straight away we are having DS girlfriend round and as she is similar to DS in many ways (possible aspergers too) it gets a bit chaotic, so thank you in advance for any replies x

Edited at 04:53 PM.
ansi41 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Dec 17, 12:07 PM  
Link to this Post
Love*my*hols
Imagineer

Mobile

It is just to see if he can manage his money,benefits etc and if not to check you are a suitable person to do it.it is nothing to do with his actual benefits,just who will be managing them,money,forms,phone calls etc
Old 27 Dec 17, 03:12 PM  
Link to this Post
MargaretMouse
VIP Dibber

When I had this for my son when he was 16, they were here, no longer than 10 minutes. They asked why I needed to be his appointee, my son can not read or write and is autistic. My son was sitting in the chair and he had no idea what was going on and was hiding under a blanket at the time as he won’t talk to anyone he does not no. The man was very kind and said I understand and gave me a form to sign and that was it. My son is 20, now and I have never heard anything since.
Old 27 Dec 17, 03:15 PM  
Link to this Post
ansi41
VIP Dibber

Thanks for your replies, I was panicking they would be giving him the third degree which would panic him as he would have no idea what to say.
Glad it's quite short so he can get off to school, which he will be pleased about... not
ansi41 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Dec 17, 04:09 PM  
Link to this Post
amandajane10
Imagineer

amandajane10's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Restaurant Reviews: 3
As above. The criteria for PIP is different to DLA. I think its more about what they can do themselves ie cook some food or travel independently etc.
Villa Holiday May 2018
Planning Easter 2020
amandajane10 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Dec 17, 04:20 PM  
Link to this Post
LOU LOU DISNEY
VIP Dibber

Following this, my son turns 16 in June so I’m awaiting a phone call or letter in the post, saying that his DLP is awarded up to December 2018, does this mean I won’t hear anything till then?
LOU LOU DISNEY is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Dec 17, 08:05 PM  
Link to this Post
ansi41
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by LOU LOU DISNEY View Post
Following this, my son turns 16 in June so I’m awaiting a phone call or letter in the post, saying that his DLP is awarded up to December 2018, does this mean I won’t hear anything till then?
As far as I am aware children have to swap over to PIP at 16 no matter how long your award is for. DS award lasted longer than April (when he turns 16) but I can't remember when.

Thanks for the replies everyone x
Old 28 Dec 17, 11:58 PM  
Link to this Post
jen10
Excited about Disney

everyone gets a visit prior to turning 16 for a check on "appointee" being continued, this is regardless of your length of award. The majority of people are now being transferred over to PIP as they reach age 16, however it is still very much a postcode lottery. One thing I would advise all parents of youngsters about to turn 16 is to look into their benefits properly as rules change at age 16 and young people are entitled to claim benefits in their own right. As a family we don't qualify for any form of tax credit as our wages are too high. When my kids were 16, they both got high rate DLA (PIP) and they were entitled to claim ESA in their own right and got roughly £247 per fortnight each. This money was paid to them even although they were both in school full time - crazy I know but thats the law! ps I did loose child benefit as they were no longer classed as a "child"
jen10 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Jan 18, 12:55 PM  
Link to this Post
LOU LOU DISNEY
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by jen10 View Post
everyone gets a visit prior to turning 16 for a check on "appointee" being continued, this is regardless of your length of award. The majority of people are now being transferred over to PIP as they reach age 16, however it is still very much a postcode lottery. One thing I would advise all parents of youngsters about to turn 16 is to look into their benefits properly as rules change at age 16 and young people are entitled to claim benefits in their own right. As a family we don't qualify for any form of tax credit as our wages are too high. When my kids were 16, they both got high rate DLA (PIP) and they were entitled to claim ESA in their own right and got roughly £247 per fortnight each. This money was paid to them even although they were both in school full time - crazy I know but thats the law! ps I did loose child benefit as they were no longer classed as a "child"
Thanks
We get child benefit here (n.iteland)till the age of 19 if the child is still in full time education, my son stayed behind a year so will be leaving when he turns 19 after his a levels in 2021.
Not sure if pip has fully rolled out here atm, so I will definitely speak with someone from the RNIB who helps me with things like this, my son is blind so has had DLA from the age of one.
LOU LOU DISNEY is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Jan 18, 05:57 PM  
Link to this Post
ansi41
VIP Dibber

Thanks for your replies. Our appointment is at 10am so hopefully she will explain things for us as we have absolutely no clue about benefits after 16. I will pop back on tomorrow evening to update x