Notices
Walt Disney World and Florida Trip Reports Trip Reports and Videos

Old 28 Jun 18, 12:56 AM  
Link to this Post
walt4it
VIP Dibber

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 8
:) A Decade of Disney Dreaming - 2017- Day 19 - From Blizzard Beach to Fantasmic, in a day!

Welcome back and many thanks to those who keep demanding the next day - I know you are watching my countdown

Yesterday - if you missed the golf and dehydration fest is just a click here away.

If you are new to the whole report the index is here.

Welcome to DAY 19 -

Monday 14th August

We were up and ready to go this morning, amazing what an early (ish ) night does and also a day out of the parks.

After a brief work update – yes, I still have work influencing what we do on holiday – it was important today though,so many an email later and a few texts too, we were then in the car and ready to hit Blizzard Beach.

As we pulled into the car park we were astounded to see there were very few cars and having bailed out of here last year due to crowds we were hopeful of a better result already.

We paid the 15 dollar locker fee (there goes the free parking then ! ) and put the bags away with the towel and the water park mug from the villa.

We got the chairlift up to. a near empty queue for summit plummet, now that's a way to start your day off!

It would have been a shame to miss out and it proved a very telling early morning wake up call!
First ride of the day and it was Summit Plummet - ouch

As we exited, we then found the desk ( well really it was a couple of fold up tables but that does not sound quite as Disney though!) offering 'fast pass' / virtual queuing. This was a trial and involved having an allotted time to ride – FP in the water parks in testing – it really helped us and was a great help on what was seeming to be a very quiet BB day.

We got an allocated time to ride Summit Plummet again and another for the place we were about to ride. I have to admit – if you could have a guarantee that you had a slot at have a ride at the best slides without a queue I would gladly accept this as part of my 60 day FP planning.

The three of us then had to get the chair lift back to the top of the park, where Alison had been sitting enjoying/ frazzling in the sun. – I’m sure we had that gag last week! I will let you look back at that one

However there was lighting incoming ( some many miles away) so the chairlift was swiftly closed. We climbed and stepped in order to meet again as a family.

That climb to the top of Blizzard Beach allowed a bit of thinking time – always dangerous!

If they shut the ski lift up to Blizzard Beach , whilst weather is very clearly many, many miles away , why are they investing mega millions in a gondola system that will close in similar weather situations?

I can’t provide an answer to that and will hopefully assume that it will not close when the weather is so far away and for the rest of our visit was not evident in the immediate vicinity - An observation that only time will be able to answer.

We were then straight onto the family raft ride and had forgotten just what a great experience this was.
Found this picture of Josh and it made me giggle as to his ‘enjoyment!’

It is so hard to make notes whilst at a water park – I have used my mobile as my greatest recorder using my notes whilst in any queue – that is difficult on a day like today, thankfully I got a bit of time when we experience d the rest of the day.

Wedgied beyond belief, we had a great day – when quiet this is the best water park imaginable – we had such a fab time and knew that if we stayed we would be pushing the whole day. It does have to be said though that for all of the annoying overly busy days we have ever been to BB – we were paid back in abundance today. It is noted forever!

We departed around 2-30 with the chair lift still closed – which brought about a serious discussion – no I was not complaining , I just saw something that despite the amount of money being thrown at it and the visual footprint of WDW being obliterated from what it was, I only hope they have lightning conductors on the top of every one of those new gondolas! you always know it is bad to have a thought whilst climbing up the hill at BB- as it often turns from my earlier observation into a full family conversation - this one was scientifically based and looked at how they could try to avoid the August weather patterns that we have seen in each August visit ( time for a bus or car then)

We replenished our food needs by a stop off at Millers near Orange Lake - this week Josh polished off all ,yes every single thing, of the huge fish and chips he had politely left a significant part of last week, whilst Joe enjoyed his pulled pork sandwich, with burgers for Alison and I.
It was needed, you forget just how much energy you burn off in a water park and BB is possibly the biggest challenge.
Once again another good Millers visit- have visited over three different locations in this and other trips and quality and consistency is really good , as its the customer service

We were turned around quickly and then off to the Boardwalk for a walk and explore, we also got the boat to the Studios- I quickly rearranged the final fast pass of today to a time happening now- it would mean that our final FP would finish in time for a fast pass to see Fantasmic!

That plan worked a treat, but we also had a visit to ToT and Rock and Roller to enjoy first.

We also took a rain opportunity to visit One Man's Dream - I have ranted before and will do so again for any new readers and for the sake of consistency - this place is a must see , a place where they need to show the film 365 days of the year just so every single person understand s why the whole of WDW and Disneyland was built in the first place.
In days of new rides , new build etc etc - I would only hope that there is a place in one park that will offer an opportunity to see how the place we all love actually got to being built.
Even if it was for an audience of 50 at a time on Main Street this would be keep Walt's vision and memory alive.

Ok I'm off track again but I am sure you see where I am coming from

Anyway we did load sand had photos taken that only a rain storm can bring - a Photo pass photographer indoors

and then some of mine...

Fantasmic was busy , and once again held us captivated for so long. A true family favourite and tonight was just exactly why we enjoy it.

There are photos I love to take and get rather frustrated at the results - tonight I nearly managed it!

With all of the water a photo at Fantasmic offers up more than my camera will extend to - pleased with these though

This is Josh's favourite show and I have to admit I love the whole theatre of it , and even more so the music that goes alongside.

We had an amazing day and then night - it is wonderful how time just moves so swiftly on a day like today.
After all of the BB experience and to finish with Fantasmic just brought about a buzz in the car as we headed back to the villa.

See you real soon DAY 20 is a click here away

Going out in a Blaze of Glory- Our Summer of Sorcery 2019 - COMPLETE! 4 Weeks, from The Yacht Club for 10 nights onto much more Florida fun too

All of our previous Trip reports and escapades can be read here.

Edited at 12:09 AM.
walt4it is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Jun 18, 05:42 AM  
Link to this Post
Goldia
VIP Dibber

Goldia's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 5
Restaurant Reviews: 43
I'm with Josh! Fantasmic is my favourite show as well. I like the pre show Buzz with the songs and the crowd all doing a Mexican wave, I like that you can actually sit to watch the show, ok so it's not exactly comfy seating but nevertheless you don't get that on Main Street or in the world showcase. Plus I love all the mix of characters and the Pocahontas bit and the sorcerer Mickey bit and then the bit where the boats come out and the characters are all waving! I can't wait to see it again.

Today sounds like it was utter bliss for you all. Such a good time at blizzard beach just having fun and without too many long waits, then a great meal by the looks of it and onto HS in the evening. It really does seem like the perfect day.

Link to all my completed trip reports
2017: NYC and Orlando. Salzburg. Boston.
2018: Orlando. Berlin.
2019: DLP. Orlando. Washington DC.
2020: DLP.
2021: Jamaica. Rome.
2022: Orlando.
2023: Orlando. Niagara and Toronto.
Goldia is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Jun 18, 09:31 AM  
Link to this Post
Palm trees
Apprentice Imagineer

We're going on our fourth family trip next year (I'd been before pre kids) and we've never been to a water park yet, nor have we seen Fantasmic. I think we need to change that next trip... It looks like you had a ball!
Palm trees is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Jun 18, 12:11 PM  
Link to this Post
collybird
Imagineer

I’ve had the same thoughts about the gondola system and the weather. As far as I can see the only benefit it will have to Disney is they can hike up the prices of the resorts boasting ‘improved’ transport links to the parks. For me, I think they’ll be a bit of an eyesore, and I don’t imagine they’ll have the capacity to drastically reduce congestion on the roads. Time shall tell.

Although we don't do water parks I'd definitely welcome a FP system there. The thought of long waits in the sun is part of the reason why we avoid them.
collybird is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Jun 18, 09:57 PM  
Link to this Post
walt4it
VIP Dibber

theDIBB Guidebook
Originally Posted by Palm trees View Post
We're going on our fourth family trip next year (I'd been before pre kids) and we've never been to a water park yet, nor have we seen Fantasmic. I think we need to change that next trip... It looks like you had a ball!
Depending on the ages of your children -if younger Typhoon Lagoon is a much better family day. If older, then Blizzard Beach is as good as a rollercoaster day

Avoid weekends for waterparks and guessing from your countdown you are aiming for Easter or thereabouts next year. Waterparks are much quieter then but will be weather dependent, although we did meet with a Dibb family who had a water park to themselves on a Christmas trip in 2009.

As for Fantasmic - once seen you will fall in love with it, a gripping storyline that shows that good always conquers evil in the end. It is always worth the wait and anticipation

Thanks for reading my Trip report and for posting, hope you enjoy the rest of the many days!

Going out in a Blaze of Glory- Our Summer of Sorcery 2019 - COMPLETE! 4 Weeks, from The Yacht Club for 10 nights onto much more Florida fun too

walt4it is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Jun 18, 11:32 PM  
Link to this Post
mouselover22
Imagineer

Day 19 brought a smile to my face How lucky and amazing to experience Blizzard Beach in August so quite

You have proven you are true adrenaline junkies by riding Summit Plummet before breakfast! I take my hat off to you Great photos

I totally agree with you about everything you said about 'One Man's Dream'

Perfect evening. Fantasmic is the perfect family show and proves that good really does conquer evil

Old 29 Jun 18, 07:40 AM  
Link to this Post
flo-tinka
Apprentice Imagineer

Well done for the serious water riding experience! Our boys did the big ride thing last year (Aquatica though but with one of this FP things)for a few hours and left we girls to do slightly calmer things.
Fantasmic: I’m interested to see the California version this year as comparison (some seem to say it is a better show? ) but no seats there so not going to be the same Big show event methinks.
Well done on TR writing btw, keep going 😂😂👍
flo-tinka is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Jun 18, 09:26 AM  
Link to this Post
mick
VIP Dibber

mick's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
What a great day at Blizzard Beach

Well done to Josh on eating that huge portion of fish and chips
( were they as good as Bamfords 😂&#128514 that’s giving my age away

Joan
Old 29 Jun 18, 08:06 PM  
Link to this Post
walt4it
VIP Dibber

theDIBB Guidebook
Originally Posted by collybird View Post
I’ve had the same thoughts about the gondola system and the weather. As far as I can see the only benefit it will have to Disney is they can hike up the prices of the resorts boasting ‘improved’ transport links to the parks. For me, I think they’ll be a bit of an eyesore, and I don’t imagine they’ll have the capacity to drastically reduce congestion on the roads. Time shall tell.

Although we don't do water parks I'd definitely welcome a FP system there. The thought of long waits in the sun is part of the reason why we avoid them.
Eyesore is definitely a good way to describe the gondola system - yes time will tell but I'm with you on it having no impact of reducing the congestion on roads around the theme parks.

We love the water parks but we don't do queuing - there was a day in a previous trip report when we got to the car park and headed for the exit before we even bothered going inside. A quiet day in a water park is fantastic and tiring, a busy day is a pain - tiresome and sun blazingingly boring as you hardly get on any of the rides.

As always appreciate your continued reading and your comments

Old 29 Jun 18, 09:27 PM  
Link to this Post
Cinderella
Imagineer

Great day👍 Interesting to see the fast pass trial.
Cinderella is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List