Notices
General Trip Reports Reports that don't fit in to the other categories

Old 18 Jul 18, 09:14 PM  
Link to this Post
EJSakaAnna
Imagineer

Toddler Trials sponsored by Timmies, Canada 2018 Day 4 Breakfast & Date Night! Don't Stop Believin'

Toddler Trials sponsored by Timmies, Canada 2018 Day 4 Breakfast & Date Night! Don't Stop Believin'

I’m Emily, my husband is Gary and this was our first overseas holiday with our 17 month Libby. We visited family near Toronto and spent a few days in Montreal too.

We met Gary’s cousin Damian at 10.30 for breakfast at The Egg & I on Upper James in Hamilton. He’d suggested going for breakfast when they’d been over the night before as he doesn’t work Fridays. We would never refuse breakfast .

Ready to go
Let's take a nice selfie...

We arrived at the same time and headed in. It had a local diner type atmosphere, and man it smelled good! It was busy too, always a good sign.

The food here was fantastic. Lots of free flowing coffee for the guys, although they only had filter (no fancy machines here ) so I just had some water and made myself drink one cup of filter stuff.

Libby picked at all our plates but loved the pancakes (she gets that from me!). The plates were huge, no way on earth was I finishing but Gary helped me out.

We got the bill and left $60 including tip.

We said goodbye to Damian and headed to a nearby Winner’s & Marshalls.

Winner’s is like another TK Maxx, it’s in the same group of companies I think but it’s not quite as good as Marshalls. I got a handbag (just a black one I thought would be handy, it was only $30) and Gary got a jacket. I also picked up this huge Coffee Snob mug when I was in the queue. I love it!

Whilst we were paying, we noticed the heavens had opened and it was pouring down. We hung around inside for a while with a few other people, waiting on it calming down. The raincoats were in the car, obviously. As was the changing bag, as we’d only popped in for a quick look. We could smell the familiar waft of a little lady who needed her nappy changed though .
It's raining it's pouring...

After a while, Gary decided to run to the car and bring it over to the door for us to jump in. I got in the back with Libby and quickly changed her, then got her into her car seat. We headed home, stopping off at Timmies to grab a raspberry lemonade and an iced cap. It was so humid today and the rain hadn't done anything to lift it, so frozen refreshments were needed.

Libby fell asleep in the car on the way home and slept for nearly an hour .

Lorraine had come home from work early because she was on babysitting duties tonight. We were escaping for date night . We had tickets to see Journey and Def Leppard at the Rogers Centre in Toronto. Gary loves both bands, he’s seen them before and I’ve seen Journey once. Don’t stop believing was actually our first dance at our wedding (a slower cover version to start then into the actual track where everyone joined us!).

We got ourselves ready and left the house at 3.30. This was the first time we’d left Libby with someone other than my parents or Gary’s mum, so it felt a bit weird! I had no reservations at all about leaving her with Lorraine and Stevie, their kids have turned out alright haha and Lorraine works with additional needs children every day so Libby was a breeze, but I still felt a bit of mum guilt . Libby’s not a strange child though, she doesn't bat an eyelid when we leave her with grandparents or when I leave for work etc, so that helped.

We headed to Burlington Go station and got the train into Toronto, getting into Union Station just after 5pm. Thats one thing the UK have over Canada, the trains there are soooo slow!

Parent's night off

Toronto was busssssy. It was rush hour and there was lots of people heading to the gig. It was good to be back in the city though!

All the restaurants and bars on the walk along towards Rogers Centre were blasting Journey/Deff Leppard. It was such a great atmosphere ! Everywhere looked mobbed and we didn't want to go too far away from the Rogers Centre. We headed into Boston Pizza just across the road. The host said it would be a 20 minute wait but we only waited 10. I think we were quite lucky, loads of people came in after and it was queued out the door.

I can’t remember what my original decision was, but I was quite settled on what I was ordering then our neighbouring tables order came. They both had the same thing and it looked reeeeally good so I ended up ordering the Boston Brute Sandwich. From the menu this is ‘A deli-style sandwich served hot, loaded with Genoa salami, pepperoni, smoked ham, pizza mozzarella, onions and our signature pizza sauce’. So good!

Gary got ribs.

I also got a Bellini cocktail too, in a fishbowl that wasn’t fishbowl shaped. There was a deal on with fishbowls that made them basically the same price as only ordering one glass you see . It was yum!

We got talking to the couple on the table next to us, bonding over cocktail/beer chat after the woman commented that my drink looked good and she was jealous that she was just sharing a jug of bud with her hubby. They were out for their wedding anniversary. I’m sure it was their 23rd anniversary but I didn’t think that was important enough to note down. I also have no idea what the woman was called , the guy was Mike though and they had 2 teenage daughters, one of which was called Emily Elizabeth which was a funny coincidence (my name and Libby’s together in case anyone isn't paying attention!). They’d been to the UK the year before so we talked about Scotland and how it was a complete travesty that they hadn't visited. They were really nice and we had a great time finishing our drinks with them, wishing them well and heading off to the concert . I have no idea how much the Boston Pizza bill was or what time we left, we were distracted by our new friends (not at all by the cocktail fishbowl I’d had…) .

We walked over the road to Rogers Centre and headed in. Paid $14.85 for a bottle of water and bottle of coke! Gary had to drive home when we got back to Burlington and there was nothing alcoholic on offer that I fancied anyway.

We took our seats, we were quite high and round the side. We’d been here once before, in 2010 for a Baseball game but it looked completely different with the roof closed and in the dark. I thought the roof would be open since it was a nice night but apparently its always closed for concerts because of the noise and the proximity of apartment buildings etc. This made me giggle a bit as I always think of the poor people who live near Hamden Stadium when a gig is on, there isn't a roof to contain the noise!

This was the most punctual concert we’ve ever been too. Journey played 7.30 till 9pm then they put a 30 minute countdown screen up for Deff Leppard and they came on at 9.30 on the dot. Genuinely appeared at 7.30 and 9.30 exactly, don't think i've ever been to a music concert where this has happened! The gig was great, the sound wasn’t amazing where we were and I wanted to move down a bit as there were loads of empty seats but Gary was happy where we were.

I won’t bore you with loads of photos but heres a few. The guitarist did the Canadian national anthem solo at one point which was pretty impressive.

We left just before 11pm to catch the 11.13 train. We were so tired, parenthood has killed our ability to party past 10pm haha. The train was quite busy so I’m glad we left to catch that one as I think the next 2 would have been mobbed. We got home at 12.40, absolutely exhausted.

Goodnight Toronto

Libby had been great for Lorraine and Stevie, no trouble at all, so they tell us anyway . She had nuggets and chips since it was Friday night then they went to play in the park after dinner. Lorraine messaged about 8 to say she was fast asleep in her cot, phew! I’d been a bit worried about her going to sleep, she still wasn't 100% sure on where she was in a strange cot/room so coupled with us not being there I wasn't sure how she would be. Successful night all round though .

Thanks for reading!

Edited at 09:20 PM.
EJSakaAnna is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Jul 18, 05:06 PM  
Link to this Post
Lisa_Lollipop
Imagineer

Oh those pancakes looked delicious... literally dribbling over my keyboard here!

So lovely you got to have a night out just the two of you, what a superstar Libby was for Lorraine and Stevie!

Also I am totally wondering if I could pull of a unicorn hat... totally the cutest thing ever!
Lisa_Lollipop is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Jul 18, 06:36 PM  
Link to this Post
mrsdjh
Imagineer

Glad poogate 2 was avoided

Great that you could have a night out together whilst on holiday.
mrsdjh is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Jul 18, 07:04 PM  
Link to this Post
Goldia
VIP Dibber

Goldia's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 5
Restaurant Reviews: 43
Another fab day. Libby looked so cute in her little hat. Breakfast always looks tasty, what a lot of food. I'm glad Libby is already into pancakes!

I love that Journey song, it's often one of the songs played before fantasmic starts and I always sing along at the top of my voice. The kids hate it and try and get me to stop but I ignore them.

A fun date night, yummy Bellini, I bet you were finding it hard to stay awake on the return journey after such a long day.

Link to all my completed trip reports
2017: NYC and Orlando. Salzburg. Boston.
2018: Orlando. Berlin.
2019: DLP. Orlando. Washington DC.
2020: DLP.
2021: Jamaica. Rome.
2022: Orlando.
2023: Orlando. Niagara and Toronto.
Goldia is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Jul 18, 07:13 PM  
Link to this Post
Melbatb
Imagineer

What a super day! Breakfast looks delicious! Got to love a pancake breakfast!

And what fun to get to go to a concert - couple time is such a treat when you have young children!

Index of my trip reports
2016 Quebec - Kuala Lumpar - New York City 2017 Dubai - Eurocamps France - Ontario and Quebec - So-Cal 2018 Montreal - Bangkok - New England 2019 Argentina - Quebec City - Hong Kong - 2020 Switzerland 2022 Arizona - Costa Med Cruise - Oslo 2023 Hong Kong - Gothenburg
Melbatb is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Jul 18, 07:43 AM  
Link to this Post
Pumba75
Imagineer

Pumba75's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 6
Restaurant Reviews: 23
DIBB Villa Reviews: 2
All caught up! What a great day/night. Those pancakes look delicious.

Libby is so cute.

M x
Pumba75 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Jul 18, 05:38 PM  
Link to this Post
disney owl
Imagineer

disney owl's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 5
great date night
June 2001, August 2003,2007 &Sept 2010 - WDW Offsite
June 2005 - DLP Davy Crockett Ranch
disney owl is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Aug 18, 07:52 PM  
Link to this Post
EJSakaAnna
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Lisa_Lollipop View Post
Oh those pancakes looked delicious... literally dribbling over my keyboard here!

So lovely you got to have a night out just the two of you, what a superstar Libby was for Lorraine and Stevie!

Also I am totally wondering if I could pull of a unicorn hat... totally the cutest thing ever!
Haha I think you could . Enjoy DLP lovely! x

Originally Posted by mrsdjh View Post
Glad poogate 2 was avoided

Great that you could have a night out together whilst on holiday.
It was a brilliant night, we were so grateful x

Originally Posted by Goldia View Post
Another fab day. Libby looked so cute in her little hat. Breakfast always looks tasty, what a lot of food. I'm glad Libby is already into pancakes!

I love that Journey song, it's often one of the songs played before fantasmic starts and I always sing along at the top of my voice. The kids hate it and try and get me to stop but I ignore them.

A fun date night, yummy Bellini, I bet you were finding it hard to stay awake on the return journey after such a long day.
It's such a feel good song isn't it?! Thanks for commenting x

Originally Posted by Melbatb View Post
What a super day! Breakfast looks delicious! Got to love a pancake breakfast!

And what fun to get to go to a concert - couple time is such a treat when you have young children!
Absolutely! A treat and a necessity lol to keep us sane x

Originally Posted by Pumba75 View Post
All caught up! What a great day/night. Those pancakes look delicious.

Libby is so cute.

M x
Thank you x

Originally Posted by disney owl View Post
great date night
Thanks for reading x
EJSakaAnna is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Aug 18, 09:16 AM  
Link to this Post
WileyCoyote
I am not a shopaholic

Great day, breakfast sounded awesome, the downpour not so much
How fab to get an evening and concert in.. Love a bit of Def Leppard , teenager of the 80s and all that . great that Libby was fine without you too. Let’s hope she has a lie in tomorrow for you ...
WileyCoyote is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Aug 18, 08:53 PM  
Link to this Post
EJSakaAnna
Imagineer

Originally Posted by WileyCoyote View Post
Great day, breakfast sounded awesome, the downpour not so much
How fab to get an evening and concert in.. Love a bit of Def Leppard , teenager of the 80s and all that . great that Libby was fine without you too. Let’s hope she has a lie in tomorrow for you ...
It was a great concert! Haha if only