Notices
Disneyland Paris Trip Reports Trip Reports

Old 2 Dec 18, 06:35 PM  
Link to this Post
DevonPumpkin
Earning More Ears

Finally going back... 19 years later! Travel Day 1 - London and The Lion King

Pre-trip report here

So sadly me writing this trip report can only mean one thing - my DLP trip is over . We had the most amazing time and got home shortly before midnight on Friday, and spent all day yesterday unpacking and recovering from the 41 miles we walked over the course of our six day holiday!

We decided to split our travel to Disneyland Paris over two days so we wouldn't be rushing to get to London during Monday morning rush hour. We booked an early coach so that we could make the most of our day in London, and I surprised Mum with tickets to see The Lion King as a thank you, as she had paid for the trip.

It was a very early start for a Sunday morning as the alarm went off at 04:25am. I got ready and packed my final bits and then it was time to go pick up Mum from her house. My boyfriend didn't join us on the trip so he was taxi service and catsitter for the week! Surprisingly he didn't seem to mind the early wake up call though. We got round to Mum's at about 05:45am so with plenty of time before our coach. Suitcase in the car and a quick goodbye to her cats and it was time to go!

Too interested in breakfast to say bye!

The bus stop where we were getting on the coach was only a five minute drive, and the coach hadn't arrived yet so we sat in the car for a bit and waited, it was freezing! Our coach was due to leave at 06:30 so when a coach pulled up at 20 past 6, we assumed it was ours, jumped out the car, grabbed the suitcases and said bye to my boyfriend and headed to the coach. As my boyfriend drove away, we discovered this coach was going to Blackpool, not London and worryingly our coach had broken down and hadn't even left it's starting point yet!

Fortunately there was a 24hr Subway right next to the bus stop, so we headed inside to get out of the cold. We had a cookie each and I had a hot chocolate too.

The first of many healthy breakfasts!

Our coach eventually arrived 45 minutes late at 07:15 and we were finally on our way! The journey was uneventful and I think we both had a little snooze and read a bit when it got lighter.

The early start catching up with Mum

We arrived into London Victoria an hour later than planned at 11:40 and attempted to find the nearest tube station. We don't know London at all and navigating busy, uneven pavements with extremely heavy suitcases was so stressful! I had planned to pack light but my suitcase was nearly 20kg before I even got to Disney

We did eventually find our way and got off the tube at Euston but went out the wrong exit and had to walk the long way round to our hotel, so what should have been a quick and pain free tube journey took us an hour! We got to the Premier Inn at 12:45 and even though check in wasn't until 2pm, our room was ready and we could go straight up No photos of the hotel room but everyone knows what a Premier Inn looks like anyway!

After a quick change we were back out at 20 past 1. We decided to get the tube from Kings Cross St Pancras this time so we could see how the walk to the station would be the following morning. It was much easier than the walk to Euston which was a relief! Kings Cross really is an impressive looking station so I stopped to take a couple photos.

A much easier tube journey this time, and we arrived in Covent Garden. We had planned to spend a couple of hours here but as our coach was late it was a bit of a mad dash to the Lyceum Theatre. We did have time to stop in MAC though and bought a lipstick each in the Black Friday sale.

We were quickly though security outside the theatre, and thanks to Mum's flirting, the security guard was happy to take a picture of us by one of the posters

We bought a programme before going to our seats as this is a bit of a tradition for us, and we have a programme from every musical we've been to. We were sat in the stalls in seats S13 and S14 which were aisle seats and even better than I was expecting!

The view from my seat

Tired but excited!

It was a matinee performance so the show started at 2:30pm. I was sat in the aisle seat with Mum next to me, and we had a teenager and a child in front of us so a pretty good view throughout!

We've wanted to see The Lion King for years but never been able to so we were so excited! The curtain came up, The Circle of Life started and so did the tears! By the time the animals came down the aisle next to me (we had a rhino and the birds come past us) I was in a bit of a state and one of the actresses playing the birds looked like she had to try not to laugh as she walked past me

The show was amazing and we had an ice cream in the intermission (another tradition!) I had chocolate truffle and Mum had stem ginger. They were delicious but pricey at £4.50 each. By the time we came out of the theatre it was dark and all the Christmas lights in Covent Garden were on. It looked so pretty and I especially liked the mistletoe in the indoor part of the market.

We watched a couple of street performers and popped into the Mulberry shop. The handbags were amazing but you know if there's no prices on them, they're too expensive!

We had a dinner reservation for 7:30 in a Prezzo that was next to our hotel, so we got the tube back to Kings Cross St Pancras. While we were there we had a wander around and I saw Platform 9 and 3/4s. I would have loved to get a photo with it but the queue was insane so I just took a picture in between people.

We also had a look at where we would have to go in the morning for Eurostar departures before heading to the restaurant.

The food at Prezzo was lovely. Me and Mum shared baked mozzarella and garlic mushrooms for starter, then she had the chicken spaghetti al forno for main and I had the tre carni calzone. We both had a soft drink each too and the meal came to £43 for us both.

After dinner it was back to the hotel to get ready for the following morning and try to get a good nights sleep! Tomorrow was going to be a busy and exciting day!

DevonPumpkin is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Dec 18, 12:29 AM  
Link to this Post
DizzyDisneyMum
Excited about Disney

Sounds like a great first travel day despite the delays. It always takes me longer to get around London than I think it's going to!
Looking forward to day 2. X
DizzyDisneyMum is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Dec 18, 09:06 PM  
Link to this Post
DevonPumpkin
Earning More Ears

Originally Posted by DizzyDisneyMum View Post
Sounds like a great first travel day despite the delays. It always takes me longer to get around London than I think it's going to!
Looking forward to day 2. X
We got there in the end and I was just glad we didn't miss our theatre tickets!

Thanks for commenting I'll try have Day 2 up sometime this week
DevonPumpkin is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Dec 18, 08:46 AM  
Link to this Post
flo-tinka
Apprentice Imagineer

Just catching up. Lion King what an excellent way to start a Disney hol
flo-tinka is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Dec 18, 08:48 PM  
Link to this Post
Animagus
Imagineer

I’m just catching up too. I’d love to see The Lion King. There’s nothing like a West End production. A fab way to start your trip.
Animagus is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Dec 18, 11:08 PM  
Link to this Post
DevonPumpkin
Earning More Ears

Originally Posted by Animagus View Post
I’m just catching up too. I’d love to see The Lion King. There’s nothing like a West End production. A fab way to start your trip.
It was so good! I'd definitely go again if it ever goes on tour down our way. It was so much better than I was expecting.
Old 21 Jan 19, 10:50 PM  
Link to this Post
kadypants
slightly serious Dibber

Mobile

Sounds like a fab travel day! And an excellent excuse to squeeze in a Lion King performance (it's amazing isn't it!)

Can't wait to read the rest!
kadypants is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Jan 19, 06:31 PM  
Link to this Post
DevonPumpkin
Earning More Ears

Originally Posted by kadypants View Post
Sounds like a fab travel day! And an excellent excuse to squeeze in a Lion King performance (it's amazing isn't it!)

Can't wait to read the rest!
It was so good, just seen it's finally going on tour again too so might try and get tickets to see it again this year!
Old 22 Jan 19, 10:00 PM  
Link to this Post
kadypants
slightly serious Dibber

Mobile

Originally Posted by DevonPumpkin View Post
It was so good, just seen it's finally going on tour again too so might try and get tickets to see it again this year!
I thought the same. Might try and take DS. He'd love it!
kadypants is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List