Notices
Christmas Temporary forum for Christmas seasonal topics

Old 19 Dec 18, 12:02 PM  
Link to this Post
Fimble
Proud to wear my Ears

I'm going to give you the most valuable trick I have ever learned, and that is to have a tray of water on the bottom of the oven.
Turkey dries really easily, and having a tray of water to keep the turkey hydrated keeps it moist and tender when it's done!

Just avoid opening the door, as this will let the steam out so you'll need to top up the tray again.

Also works well for cakes too.
Fimble is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Dec 18, 09:11 PM  
Link to this Post
waiting4disney
Imagineer

Mobile

Update.
2 of my guests have cancelled on me and my plan to support the local farm hasn't quite gone to plan as didn't read small print so the 7kg turkey I ordered wasn't available to I'm getting a 9.2 kg turkey for 6 people ! I'm hoping it will fit in oven 😵😵😵😵

Goodness knows how long it will take to cook.
I might be eating turkey for a week... can you freeze something like cooked turkey curry?
Not the best size for cooking my 1st turkey 😂
Old 21 Dec 18, 09:49 PM  
Link to this Post
hermione25
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by waiting4disney View Post
Update.
2 of my guests have cancelled on me and my plan to support the local farm hasn't quite gone to plan as didn't read small print so the 7kg turkey I ordered wasn't available to I'm getting a 9.2 kg turkey for 6 people ! I'm hoping it will fit in oven 😵😵😵😵

Goodness knows how long it will take to cook.
I might be eating turkey for a week... can you freeze something like cooked turkey curry?
Not the best size for cooking my 1st turkey 😂
Oh my. A 20lb turkey! That’s the average weight of an 18 month old toddler - that’s a LOT of turkey curry Out of interest, being nosey, how much would a free range 20lb turkey cost? I’m guessing £100+?
Old 21 Dec 18, 09:57 PM  
Link to this Post
waiting4disney
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by hermione25 View Post
Oh my. A 20lb turkey! That’s the average weight of an 18 month old toddler - that’s a LOT of turkey curry Out of interest, being nosey, how much would a free range 20lb turkey cost? I’m guessing £100+?
Ended up costing £90 direct from the turkey farm 😵🙀🙀 luckily my Christmas bonus just covers it.
Next time I think I'll stick with a supermarket...
Old 21 Dec 18, 10:11 PM  
Link to this Post
Vinniecat
Imagineer

We all love Turkey and really enjoy having several meals from it. Post us some pictures of the end result.
Vinniecat is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Dec 18, 10:11 PM  
Link to this Post
olgaandcoda
Imagineer

olgaandcoda's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Mobile

I once cooked a 22 pound turkey, fine lifting when cold, but bloody lethal when hot! I nearly put my back out! Make sure you get help to lift it about!
To save space in the oven, I prepare my pots and veg the night before and then finish them off on the day. Peel, parboil, drain and cover in foil. Roast until
They are nearly done. Twenty minutes or less on the day to complete.
Old 22 Dec 18, 11:19 AM  
Link to this Post
waiting4disney
Imagineer

Mobile

Instructions from the turkey farm.
Taken ideas from expert dibbers
Cook turkey breast side down
Use water

Though in contrast to everything else I've read it says don't use foil!

Old 22 Dec 18, 11:24 AM  
Link to this Post
hermione25
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by waiting4disney View Post
Ended up costing £90 direct from the turkey farm 😵🙀🙀 luckily my Christmas bonus just covers it.
Next time I think I'll stick with a supermarket...
I know it must feel expensive but for that weight of turkey, a free range farmed one, I actually think it’s a good price.

Turn on the oven now...

(If it’s any consolation I’ve just taken my 4.5kg ham out of the pan it’s been simmering in since 7.20am this morning, and transferred it to the oven - where it will bake until nearly 2pm this afternoon!&#128580

Happy Christmas x

Edited at 11:37 AM.
hermione25 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Dec 18, 02:53 PM  
Link to this Post
scottishnellie
VIP Dibber

scottishnellie's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 2
Mobile

If it were me I would remove the legs and back to make it into a turkey crown. Easier to cook evenly, easier to fit in the oven and lighter weight to manoeuvre.

Joint the legs into drum and thighs and freeze to use for a casserole another day. That size of crown would still leave you loads of leftovers for curry or something.

Unless you really want the whole table effect of a full turkey to carve of course.

Helen xx

Here's a link to all my previous trip reports since 2015
trip report list by year
scottishnellie is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Dec 18, 03:00 PM  
Link to this Post
coggie
Imagineer

Mobile

Yes you can freeze cooked turkey
coggie is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List