General Trip Reports Reports that don't fit in to the other categories

Old 9 Jan 19, 09:59 PM  
Link to this Post
EJSakaAnna
Imagineer

Toddler Trials sponsored by Timmies - Canada 2018 Day 14 Port Dover

Toddler Trials sponsored by Timmies - Canada 2018
Day 14 Port Dover

I’m Emily, my husband is Gary and this was our first overseas holiday with our 17 month Libby. We visited family near Toronto and spent a few days in Montreal too.

We left just before 10 today. We were heading to Port Dover to meet my Dad’s cousin Janet. I had never met her but my Mum and Dad and Aunt are in contact with her and when she’d said she’d love to meet us when we were over, we thought it would be a great opportunity to meet some of my extended family.

We were meeting at 11.30. Gary had been to Port Dover once as I child but I hadn’t. Janet had suggested it as an option and then invited us back to her house after for a BBQ with the rest of the family, who all wanted to meet the Scottish relatives! Port Dover is on the north shore of Lake Erie and the pictures showed palm trees on the beach, so I was looking forward to it . Always nice to visit the beach!

The sat nav took us a silly way that didn’t pass a Timmies which was annoying. We did eventually find one after a good half hour…I was grumpy and in need of caffeine . We stopped at one in Halderville where everyone looked at me as I was the obvious outsider!

It was really sunny again today but a bit cooler.

We passed more Walking Dead farms on the way into the countryside and noticed so many places with Scottish names including Caledonia and Selkirk.

Not being on the highway meant Libby wouldn’t nap and she fussed most of the way.

We got to Port Dover about 11 but weren’t meeting Janet until 11.30 so we were early. We drove around a bit and Libby finally fell asleep at 10 past. It was such a beautiful little town. We parked up down at the water while we let her snooze and I got out to take a few photos.

We were meeting in The Arbor, a known diner/hot dog place that Janet said we couldn’t miss. She’d asked what we were driving so she could spot us.

Janet arrived just after 11:30 and we did introductions and caught up. Despite having never met her, she was so so friendly and we got on really well. She’s my Dad and Aunts cousin and reminded me so much of my Aunt! Libby took to her straight away too and I always think small children are great judges of character!

She doesn't do this with many people, its like she knew

We wandered down to the beach as Janet told us about Port Dover and how busy it gets in the height of summer.

We decided on lunch at The Beach House Restaurant and were given a lovely table over looking the beach .

I had chicken tenders with honey garlic sauce and Gary had a Pickerall Poboy. Janet had a lovely looking salad. The food was absolutely delicious, sorry no photos as we’d just met Janet and I didn’t want her to think I was completely loopy! Janet very kindly paid for lunch .

Once she’d paid the bill, we wandered down the pier to the lighthouse, letting Libby run around. I also went into a cute wee shop which was full of nautical style homeware, I could have spent a fortune!

We then headed up into town. Janet explained all the Friday 13th shops to me. Every Friday 13th, thousands of bikers descend on Port Dover. Google tells me that in the summer months, over 100,000 bikers attend. It sounded crazy for such a peaceful little town but quite a cool tradition!

We walked down the other side of the main street and decided on some ice cream. The shop was nothing fancy but huge and had obviously been in business for years. I could imagine it packed during the height of summer.

I took this to send to my Aunt!

We left Port Dover just before 3pm, via the actual Port to see the boats and expensive houses in the fancy part of town!

There was a tantrum and a half taking her away from throwing stones in here!

We followed Janet back to her house in Burlington, about 30 minutes away. I don’t have many photos really because we were guests in her home and I didn’t want to be rude but her house was absolutely beautiful! We picked up 2 of her Grandsons on the way home from Day care and Libby started playing with them as soon as we got back.

Everyone else arrived between 4 & 5 for a BBQ, including Janet’s brother John, my Dad’s other cousin. My mum had said he was very like my Dad and as soon as he walked into the garden, Libby started running towards him. As she got closer, she realised it wasn’t actually Grandpa like she thought. She adores my dad and genuinely thought it was him ! Despite realising it wasn’t Grandpa, she still took to him very well and it was the absolute cutest thing.

Libby had a ball playing with her extended cousins in the garden and Gary and I absolutely loved meeting and talking to my 2nd/3rd/4th/5th cousins (who knows!).

We got Libby in her PJs and left about 9pm, exhausted from a great day. Honorary Grandpa John got special cuddles .

She was asleep in the back of the car in minutes. When we got home we successfully transferred her from the car to her cot, phew.

We’d had such a good day at Port Dover and meeting everyone, it was a great day .

Thanks for reading xx
EJSakaAnna is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Jan 19, 06:09 AM  
Link to this Post
Melbatb
Imagineer

What a fabulous day - how very lovely to meet new relatives and how cute was Libby!

Index of my trip reports
2016 Quebec - Kuala Lumpar - New York City 2017 Dubai - Eurocamps France - Ontario and Quebec - So-Cal 2018 Montreal - Bangkok - New England 2019 Argentina - Quebec City - Hong Kong - 2020 Switzerland 2022 Arizona - Costa Med Cruise - Oslo 2023 Hong Kong - Gothenburg
Melbatb is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Jan 19, 07:29 AM  
Link to this Post
Nesbits
Very Serious Dibber

What a special day meeting your distant relations.

Your daughter is lovely, a character.
Nesbits is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Jan 19, 12:42 AM  
Link to this Post
disney owl
Imagineer

disney owl's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 5
how lovely to meet more of your relatives
June 2001, August 2003,2007 &Sept 2010 - WDW Offsite
June 2005 - DLP Davy Crockett Ranch
disney owl is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Jan 19, 08:36 PM  
Link to this Post
EJSakaAnna
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Melbatb View Post
What a fabulous day - how very lovely to meet new relatives and how cute was Libby!
Thanks Mel, it was a great day!

Originally Posted by Nesbits View Post
What a special day meeting your distant relations.

Your daughter is lovely, a character.
Aw thank you, she's a wild one for sure .

Originally Posted by disney owl View Post
how lovely to meet more of your relatives
It was such a great day, we'll definitely catch up with them when we go over again! Thanks for commenting x
EJSakaAnna is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List