Notices
Walt Disney World and Florida Trip Reports Trip Reports and Videos

Old 10 Jan 19, 03:30 PM  
Link to this Post
Milpston
Imagineer

Thumbs up 5 do Florida for the 1st time - October 2018 - Day 23 - Travel home, Highs, lows and future plans

Index

So it was the day no-one likes to think about. The entirety of my notes read, "the long trek home", so I will keep it relatively brief.

The car was all loaded up and we left Sunset Lakes just after 10:00. I had done a great job in supervising Sally this morning and nothing was left behind.

We set the sat nav for Fort Lauderdale Airport. It had provided us a decent saving on our flights by flying home from here so for us it was worth the drive today. Sally had made some rolls for the journey.

She then set about her last bit of photography expertise on the drive down to Fort Lauderdale.

There were some pretty glum faces on the drive down but we were all in pretty good spirits really.

Luckily there were still some snacks on hand to get us through.

We did stop at some services for a toilet break and a leg stretch. Strangely it was the same place we stopped on the same journey in 2011.

I waited with Benjamin at the car whilst Sally, Chloe and Emma went in. I took the opportunity to top up the nicotine for later.

Our original plan for today had been to have lunch at a restaurant we ate at in 2013 called Bimini Grill but it had now shut down. We thought we would just have a drive into Fort Lauderdale and grab a bit for lunch. On the drive down we heard on the radio that the international boat show was on in Fort Lauderdale today and all weekend.

We drove past the hotel we stayed at on the first night of our honeymoon in 2013 pre-cruise.

Last time we were on this bridge we were walking and looking at the cruise ship we were getting on in a few hours. It was a whole lot less exciting today.

Unfortunately as we were heading down towards the beach the traffic was heavy which should have been no surprise with the International Boat Show in town.

It took an age to get around although it did give us a chance to reminisce about our honeymoon. It reminded me to have a read back through my trip report on cruisecritic when we got home

Due to the heavy traffic we decided not to stop and fought our way back to the airport.

It was a shame we didn't have time to stop as it would have been nice to buy a boat to go with our new beach house at St Petes Beach.

We arrived at Fort Lauderdale Airport around 14:00. We followed the signs for the car return and it was quick and easy. I got our receipt with a £0 to pay on it and we had to catch the bus across to a different terminal. The detail I am including there is incredible It was a bit of a pain lugging all the luggage onto and off of the bus. If I did it again I would drop the rest of the family with the luggage at the correct terminal and then dump the car on my own.

On checking in we, of course, still had a couple of overweight cases despite buying an extra one. We were that family with cases all over the floor moving things from case to case. I like to be tight right to the very end!

Once through airside we got some lunch. There wasn't a fantastic array of choice but we filled a gap and a bit of time whilst waiting.

We sat back and let the kids have a bit of a run around to hopefully try and wear them out for the flight home.

As far as I recall the flight home was pretty much on time. I sat with Emma on the way home this time and all went fairly well. I have one rubbish photo of a plane meal and don't really remember anything about it.

Not long after we left Emma set about opening all her things from the keep 'em quiet pack.

Unfortunately I chose the wrong child for the flight home. Sally had Benjamin who fell asleep about 20 minutes into the flight and woke up about half an hour before we landed. Emma on the other hand was awake for virtually all the flight home despite my desperate attempts at trying to get her to sleep. She did fall asleep about an hour and half before the end and then woke up with the hump and a tantrum when we landed. She soon got over it though.

Luggage collection and passport control was all fairly straight forward. We called Maple Manor who delivered our car back to us with only a short wait. The drive home back from Gatwick was not a difficult one. even if I probably did have my eyes half shut.

Our fantastic and long awaited trip was all over and it had been brilliant! We and the kids had an absolute blast and had no regrets whatsoever!

HIGHS

I just wanted to make a little reference to some of our highs from the holiday... there were lots and try to think of a couple of lows... just for a bit of balance

1. Disneys Beach Club - We loved the location and it felt like a good quality international hotel. (horrifically over priced really but then I am tight)
2. All the extras... Dessert Party, illuminations Cruise, BBB, HHN RIP tour. They were all fantastic. I wouldn't necessarily feel the need to do them again but am glad we tried them.
3. HRH with express passes at Universal. Made our couple of days there easy and really enjoyable.
4. Our Villa's owners. Debra of Hibiscus Ridge and Geraldine of Disney Sunset Villa. Both were so easy to deal with and helpful in every way.
5. Hibiscus Ridge. The villa was just perfect for our family.
6. Our car. The Lincoln Navigator was a fantastic motor. I'm still scared to look and see what one of these would cost us in the future.
7. Opal Sands and our whole stay at Clearwater including Little Toots.
8. DDP. The only thing that would tempt me back on site. We loved all the character meals with the kids without breaking the bank.
9. Family time and keeping it flexible. Taking the kids at this age is an experience we will never forget. They loved it and so did we. Not being pressured into doing to much and relaxing when we needed to was our best decision and being there for 22 nights made this much easier to do.

LOWS

1. My main low has to be the weak pound. Although we did absolutely everything we wanted to do it did make the cost a little eye watering. On checking when we got home I had actually spent £30 more than I budgeted. Having said that I did secretly think I'd be at least £1k under that.
2. Yachstsman steakhouse food. I was just underwhelmed and I think this is mainly based on the fact I had very high expectations.
3. I suppose I have to include fracturing my ankle in two places
I cannot think of any more lows but I will add them if anything comes to me.
4. Our arrival at Tampa Airport and the massive queue for immigration.

I've just asked Sally for her highs and lows. She says everything was a high and her lows were: me busting my ankle and the long trek in and out of MK. It was also her that remembered our Tampa airport arrival although it would not put me off flying there again as I've yet to see anyone else who hasn't had a good experience flying into there!

FUTURE PLANS

So I guess the only way to finish off it to mention future plans. We did discuss thoughts of a future trip whilst we were out there. I thought it would be a tough task to talk Sally into going back again especially as it would most likely mean a new kitchen would be put on hold. Pretty much as soon as we got home we discussed it and we'd had such an amazing time I immediately got the green light.

It prompted the whole onsite/off site debate! We loved our stay on site and we loved the DDP and have fantastic memories of our first week that we would not change for the world. However, for us, with there being 5 of us we loved the space and freedom of a villa. We loved the fact that our longer stay than average allowed us to take our time and relax when it was needed.

As I have already said our over all cost for this holiday was a little painful and, although we have no regrets at all and it was all paid up before we went, I would like to keep a slightly tighter control on the budget next time (I think I said that last time )

So a little before Christmas we booked up for 2020

We have booked Hibiscus Ridge again as we loved the villa and found the owner so easy to work with. I spent a few weeks searching hundreds of villas and eventually decided we couldn't find anything better for us.

We have booked this from 4th JULY 2020 to 25th JULY 2020. The owner is kindly holding two days either side for us until we can get our flights booked later this year. I'm fairly sure we will add a night or two.. or three so will be there for somewhere between 21 and 25 nights.

We will get 21 day ultimate tickets for Disney again. We will not be doing Universal as although we loved our two days there I do not think it will offer good value for us and will wait until the kids are old enough for more of the bigger rides there before returning. We will most likely do the three SeaWorld Parks too. I have seen the early discount offer for 2020 for Discovery Cove. I am tempted to do a non swim day there as Emma and Benjamin will not be old enough for the swim. I just have to decide if a non swim day there will be worth doing.

I am happy to fly anywhere in Florida so will be looking for a bargain. I don't think I will consider anything other than a non-stop flight unless I save an absolute fortune. We will most likely do a BA fly drive again as they offer decent value most often.

I think it is likely we will add a night or two on the west coast somewhere at some point during the trip and I won't rule out a night at Disney at the start to get 60 day FP+ bookings if we can get a good deal for a different deluxe or by renting DVC points (not that I even understand that at this point). So there's the budget growing slightly but I will only do these things if I can get the right pricing.

Our Disney countdown chalk board is up and reads 542 days... but its nice to know we will have another fantastic experience to look forward too. I'm sure it will be completely different with Emma being 5 and a half by then and Benjamin being just over 3. (can't wait to have to pay for the flight seat and Park tickets for him this time )

Thank you to everyone who has read along and especially to those who have commented and kept me going. I would like to think I will do a trip report next time as I think it will be amazing to read back on in years to come as the kids get older.
August 2021 - Anthem of the seas UK mini cruise Trip report *completed*
Vegas/LA Aug 22 - Trip Report In Progress

Edited at 03:58 PM.
Milpston is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Jan 19, 03:46 PM  
Link to this Post
caitlinsmummy
Imagineer

Mobile

Fab last day shame about the traffic though.

I love the highs and lows but the thing I love the most is that you've booked up again! Thanks for the report it's been fab following along xx
caitlinsmummy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Jan 19, 04:00 PM  
Link to this Post
Milpston
Imagineer

Originally Posted by caitlinsmummy View Post
Fab last day shame about the traffic though.

I love the highs and lows but the thing I love the most is that you've booked up again! Thanks for the report it's been fab following along xx
It was a shame we didn't get a stroll and lunch in Fort Lauderdale but these things happen.

Thank you for following. I may now have some time to read trip reports instead of typing rubbish myself
Milpston is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Jan 19, 05:40 PM  
Link to this Post
R3D4
Getting Excited

Great trip report!

Your trip is similar to the one we have booked for this summer. We're starting at the Beach Club then moving to a villa at Sunset Lakes so it's been interesting reading along and seeing if I could pick up useful info.
R3D4 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Jan 19, 05:44 PM  
Link to this Post
Eccle
Imagineer

A good smooth journey back for you, though a shame Emma wouldn't sleep, I think I've been lucky that mine have always slept most of the way on the flight home. I got the impression reading through that you'd be back, impressed you have already booked up again! 5 and 3 will be great ages for it all, though I feel the pain on having a 3 year old, everything for our trip this year seems a lot more expensive with one child a Disney adult (at the grand old age of 10!) and all of them now being over 3.

I know you listed Beach Club as one of your highs, do you think it was worth it over any other Disney hotels?

Thank you for the report, I've really enjoyed it
Eccle is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Jan 19, 05:50 PM  
Link to this Post
Palm trees
Apprentice Imagineer

Thanks for sharing, and great news to have your next trip on the horizon too!
Palm trees is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Jan 19, 06:11 PM  
Link to this Post
DisneyDaffodil
Imagineer

Successful travel day to end your wonderful trip. Shame you couldn’t stop to buy the boat though 😂

I imagine your next trip will be fabulous too, especially with a 3 and 5 year old with you. Possibly the best ages to go (although I think any age is the best, even as old as me 😂 ) I can’t wait to see how they will have grown by then.

I agree for a larger family a villa is definitely a good idea, nice to have space to spread out and the pool to relax by. We love onsite for the transport and dining but the villas you stayed in did sway me a little, and you have definitely tempted me to try a few days at a beach when we return (possibly 2021/22)

Thanks for taking the time to write your report. Ours will be completed, you have inspired us to get back onto it this weekend now 😀

Edited at 06:12 PM.
DisneyDaffodil is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Jan 19, 08:47 PM  
Link to this Post
Hel22
Trainee Dibber

Thank you so much for doing this report, I've loved following it and it has made me laugh many times. Happy planning for the next adventure!
Hel22 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Jan 19, 02:15 PM  
Link to this Post
Milpston
Imagineer

Originally Posted by R3D4 View Post
Great trip report!

Your trip is similar to the one we have booked for this summer. We're starting at the Beach Club then moving to a villa at Sunset Lakes so it's been interesting reading along and seeing if I could pick up useful info.
You will have a great time. Thanks for following
Old 11 Jan 19, 02:30 PM  
Link to this Post
Milpston
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Eccle View Post
A good smooth journey back for you, though a shame Emma wouldn't sleep, I think I've been lucky that mine have always slept most of the way on the flight home. I got the impression reading through that you'd be back, impressed you have already booked up again! 5 and 3 will be great ages for it all, though I feel the pain on having a 3 year old, everything for our trip this year seems a lot more expensive with one child a Disney adult (at the grand old age of 10!) and all of them now being over 3.

I know you listed Beach Club as one of your highs, do you think it was worth it over any other Disney hotels?

Thank you for the report, I've really enjoyed it
It was a smooth enough day and I would have no issues with flying from FLL or MIA again. We fully expected both the kids to sleep all the way home. Schoolboy error on my part to pick the wrong kid
I have to say I have had it in the back of my mind just to pretend he's not 3 yet but really can't be done with the grief.

The Beach Club is a lovely hotel and the location really is superb being able to walk to two parks so easily. It's impossible or me to say if it is worth the money over other Disney options as I haven't stayed anywhere else. We also go the free upgrade from Saratoga Springs to BC. For me, it was worth what we paid I'm not sure I would justify too much more. If I had got a room with no view or no balcony then I think I would have been a bit underwhelmed even though we barely went on our balcony. Stormalong Bay was really lovely and I think if we had more than 7 nights on site we would have been able to make more of it.
For next years trip we considered other on site Disney options and nothing really grabbed me. My problem with holidays has always been that I have champagne tastes and a lemonade budget! As such none of the Value or moderate hotels have really grabbed my attention having read lots of trip reports over the last couple of years. I think I would like AKL but only if I could stretch to a savannah view and by that time you are at BC/YC money. I want to try some of the other Deluxes at some stage to compare but 5 us in a room for 3 weeks knowing the space we could have at a villa is difficult. The prices o 1 and two bedroom suites etc is just extortionate on site.

I like the idea of trying to get a night at a couple of different deluxe resorts during our next trip just to see what they are like and have a different experience. I have had a brief look and to rent a 1 bedroom villa at AKL with Savannah view by renting DVC points will cost not far off what our 5 bedroom villa will cost or a week so I will only do that if I find some bargains.

How's that for a rambling answer? You can tell I have no trip report left to write