Notices
Shanghai, Tokyo and Hong Kong Theme Parks Shanghai, Tokyo and Hong Kong Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 29 Jan 19, 05:14 PM  
Link to this Post
kk20
Imagineer

Tokyo and JR Pass

We plan on using a 7 day JR pass, buuuuut we only want to activate the JR pass from day 5 (day 1->4 will be disney and onsite so pointless). However, we want to book the shinkansen on day 5 (to kyoto) and the return to tokyo.

How easy is this to accomplish with pigeon japansese? I know I will need to go to a JR ticket office and exchange the voucher for a pass(planned to do this in Narita on the day 1) but is it possible to book on day 1 for a train on day 5 only activating/starting the JR pass on day 5?
kk20 is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Jan 19, 06:18 PM  
Link to this Post
Pumpkin Pie
Imagineer

See extract from the Japan Guide website. Is this the info you need?

japan-guide/e/e2361.html

Where and how can the voucher be exchanged?

The voucher can be exchanged at designated major JR stations across Japan, including the JR stations at Narita Airport and Kansai Airport. See this page for a list of designated stations and opening hours. Hand your voucher and passport (photocopy not accepted) to the ticket counter staff. After some processing, you will receive your Japan Rail Pass.

Selecting a starting date in the future

When you exchange your voucher to the actual pass, you do not need to start using the pass from the same date. You can select any date within a one month period as your starting date. However, once the actual pass is issued, the starting date cannot be changed.
Pumpkin Pie is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Jan 19, 07:18 PM  
Link to this Post
MissVincent
Imagineer

Mobile

Are you only using the jr pass for those journeys? Wouldn't it be easier just to book tickets for those trains individually?
MissVincent is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Jan 19, 11:17 AM  
Link to this Post
kk20
Imagineer

I saw the JR bit about putting the start date at the time of exchange, however this is what I would like to do:

land on day 1, exchange the voucher at the JR office in Narita Airport, put the "start date" as day 5 - but crucually at the same time book a shinkansen train for day 5 (and day 10 and day 11). I didnt know if you could book trains on a "not yet started" JR pass (for trains within the JR start date). It does seem logical that you can but wanted to know if others had done the same.

JR pass is worth it as we are using the shinkansen to go from tokyo->kyoto->osaka->tokyo as a party of 4 and we want to book the fuji facing seats on the way out and the same on the way back.

If it doesnt work then i'll have to get up early on day 5 (the listed/deferred start date of JR) and book a train for that day + the other legs - they are regular enough that im not worried about not getting train, I just want to book at the point of exchange (in the airport) - plus there is a higher likelihood of having better pantomime/english/pigeon japanese interaction at the midori no madoguchi in the airport...

Edited at 11:30 AM.
Old 5 Feb 19, 01:22 AM  
Link to this Post
RT7
Imagineer

Originally Posted by kk20 View Post
How easy is this to accomplish with pigeon japansese? I know I will need to go to a JR ticket office and exchange the voucher for a pass(planned to do this in Narita on the day 1) but is it possible to book on day 1 for a train on day 5 only activating/starting the JR pass on day 5?
We were in Tokyo for 2 weeks at Christmas and exchanged our pre-paid voucher when we landed at Narita airport. Like you we had opted for the 7 day pass and didn’t want to activate it until 2 days later. The young lady on the desk was very helpful and her English was good. Told her where we wanted to travel to on day 2 and that we wanted the return journey back to Tokyo 3 days later. She gave us a choice of train times then booked our seats.
We did have to show our passports when we exchanged the voucher and did expect to have to show them when we used the pass but we were never asked. (We did carry our passports around with us at all times).

Hope that helps
Old 5 Feb 19, 09:51 AM  
Link to this Post
kk20
Imagineer

perfect. Thanks for the reply - another tick in the planning box!