Notices
Shopping in Florida For all those Shopaholics out there.

Old 5 Feb 19, 01:44 AM  
Link to this Post
dreamisawish
slightly serious Dibber

Mobile Here now- can we use Apple Pay here?

We are here now, but I did something pretty stupid in the rush of leaving- I left my debit cards in my pocket of my coat which I didn’t bring with me.

Luckily I have quite a bit of cash, but it hasn’t stopped me worrying about the possibility of running out.

So are there any work around? We aren’t staying on site at WDW so I can’t connect my card with a magic band.

I tried to use Apple Pay earlier and I was declined, I’m with NatWest. I did contact them late yesterday to say I was going aboard but it did say the process could take 24 hrs so possibly that hasn’t gone through yet and will by tomorrow.

So has anyone used Apple Pay in the parks? Has it all been fine?

And is there any other work arounds we can use? Could I buy a gift card online ?

DLP | June 2015 | Dec 2016 | Sept 2017 | Oct 2017 | Nov 2018

WDW | April 2009 | Feb 2019
dreamisawish is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Feb 19, 01:53 AM  
Link to this Post
Griff_389
Very Serious Dibber

NatWest seem to say...

Whichever card you use abroad, register it for travel. Let us know online, over the phone or in a branch that you're going away at least 24 hours before you leave and we'll do our best to make sure none of your payments are blocked.
If your debit card is contactless, you can use it abroad like you can in the UK. Just look for the contactless symbol. Limits can vary when you’re abroad.
It would suggest you could use it if you can use your card abroad.
Hopefully someone that has used it will confirm.
Griff_389 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Feb 19, 09:27 AM  
Link to this Post
wanye
Imagineer

you can use them, but it doesn't mean you should! most UK standard debit cards charge additional fees for paying in other currencies.

when we went just over a year ago, apple pay and (to a lesser extent) android pay were available out there, but only in a few places. i can't really say about disney though, as we only did MNSSHP last time.

again though, if your apple/android pay is tied to a uk debit card, you'll still get hit with fees because they are charging you in dollars, not pounds. ideally, use a fee-free credit card (santander zero, halifax clarity) or debit card (monzo, revolut) tied to your apple pay account

hth
wanye is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Feb 19, 10:33 AM  
Link to this Post
stevo25
Very Serious Dibber

Slightly off topic, I have attached my Revolut to Google Pay and will try it in late April
stevo25 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Feb 19, 12:03 AM  
Link to this Post
CookieMonster54
Excited about Disney

You can use it exactly the same way you do in Britain. However, less retailers take it in the USA as they deliberately block contactless on their terminals so you use their app to pay Walmart in particular do this although if you want to make sure you can use Apple Pay you can look on apple maps and it will show which places accept Apple Pay in the info.
CookieMonster54 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Feb 19, 02:32 AM  
Link to this Post
dreamisawish
slightly serious Dibber

Mobile

Originally Posted by CookieMonster54 View Post
You can use it exactly the same way you do in Britain. However, less retailers take it in the USA as they deliberately block contactless on their terminals so you use their app to pay Walmart in particular do this although if you want to make sure you can use Apple Pay you can look on apple maps and it will show which places accept Apple Pay in the info.
This is useful but I’ve had places that say that do accept Apple Pay and offer me the terminal and my payment is declined. It has now been more then 24 hrs since I registered me as being abroad with NatWest so I will have to call them tomorrow.
dreamisawish is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Feb 19, 11:26 AM  
Link to this Post
Fancealot
Getting Excited

Now there could be a workaround, bear with me it may or may not work:
This does assume 2 things - 1. you have card data stored in icloud and 2. you have a magic band

Log into MDE on the web not the app, go to profile and add payment card, from there you should be able to import card details stored on icloud into MDE which would then allow you to use your card at home via your magic band.

Now as i've said I could be wrong i'm at home in the UK and haven't got a magic band yet to try it out.

if not could you get a prepay card over there and use the similar method (stored details on icloud) to top it up for you to use?
Old 7 Feb 19, 11:35 AM  
Link to this Post
dreamisawish
slightly serious Dibber

Mobile

Originally Posted by Fancealot View Post
Now there could be a workaround, bear with me it may or may not work:
This does assume 2 things - 1. you have card data stored in icloud and 2. you have a magic band

Log into MDE on the web not the app, go to profile and add payment card, from there you should be able to import card details stored on icloud into MDE which would then allow you to use your card at home via your magic band.

Now as i've said I could be wrong i'm at home in the UK and haven't got a magic band yet to try it out.

if not could you get a prepay card over there and use the similar method (stored details on icloud) to top it up for you to use?
It actually has my card details already because I’ve made an ADR and booked a dessert party. It says the details stored are for ‘select app and website purchases only’ and that if you are staying on site you can set up a pin code and use your magic band to buy throughout the resort. Sadly I am not staying on site.

It was worth a try though!

Hopefully one day Disney will realise that making it easier for all guests to spend money with them is better for their bottom line!

Three days in and I’m feeling a lot less anxious about money now, and I’ll be fine with the amount I have in cash, but if by some disaster I do run out I have found one work around- you can buy e-gift cards from Disney online that you can spend in the resort, apparently they just send you the code by email once it’s been bought. If I get close to running out I’ll have a go!

Thanks for your help!