Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 18 Feb 19, 11:37 AM  
Link to this Post
Nimbus
Imagineer

Nimbus's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 8
Restaurant Reviews: 21

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 36
Guidebook Reviews: 2
Originally Posted by novocastrian View Post
no idea why people brings massive bags/cases into the cabin & lug them about the airport, especially long haul...
The OP was talking about a holiday to Lanzarote, not long haul. And for European flights, some airlines charge extra for hold luggage. So, one reason people take cabin-sized cases into the cabin is quite simple - to save money. In addition, having no hold luggage means that you don't have to join the queue at the departure airport to check-in your hold luggage and you don't have to spend ages waiting for that same luggage to appear on the carousel at the arrival airport - therefore it also saves time. The potential to save time and money doesn't give you any idea why people would do this?

I've made several short haul flights with just a small cabin case and it is far more convenient than taking hold luggage. The case I use is not massive by any stretch of the imagination and has wheels so is easier to lug around than a small backpack.

However, I agree that for a 2 week long haul holiday I would take a proper suitcase and stow it in the hold.

~ Trip Report Indexes ~

Edited at 11:40 AM.
Nimbus is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Feb 19, 11:50 AM  
Link to this Post
novocastrian
Imagineer

^^

fair enough im happy to pay extra if needs be to not have to cart a case about an airport/cabin even short haul

the OP had a lot products she needed to take, so my suggestion would be to check the bag for a fee and not worry about it...
novocastrian is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Feb 19, 12:03 PM  
Link to this Post
familybell
Apprentice Imagineer

Mobile

We travel regularly with low fare airlines and always take hand luggage, it’s amazing what you can actually fit and if it means saving £50 odd each then it’s well worth it.

Who are you flying with op?
As Ryanair now give you the option to pay £10 to put your cabin bag in the hold, you have to pay £6 for a decent size bag anyway so might be worth it so you don’t need to worry about liquids at security. EasyJet do something similar I think for £6, or £14 for a group of 3 or more, another option, much cheaper than paying for a hold bag but eliminates the problem of liquids
familybell is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Feb 19, 12:36 PM  
Link to this Post
taylaboo
Imagineer

Mobile

You are allowed 10 x 100ml bottles. This includes make up, hair gel and wax. And thats if you can get them all in the small zip lock bags. I took two thru last October and was told you are only allowed one per person.
Villa at Champions Gate -2019
Rosen Hotel May 2023
taylaboo is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Feb 19, 12:43 PM  
Link to this Post
sammykitten
Imagineer

Originally Posted by taylaboo View Post
You are allowed 10 x 100ml bottles. This includes make up, hair gel and wax. And thats if you can get them all in the small zip lock bags. I took two thru last October and was told you are only allowed one per person.
yep thats true, only one bag per person.
sammykitten is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Feb 19, 12:47 PM  
Link to this Post
coggie
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by taylaboo View Post
and they must be sealed too...I have seen people take things out and throw away as they couldn't seal the bag
coggie is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Feb 19, 12:57 PM  
Link to this Post
duchy
Imagineer

personally anything over a night or two, pay for a hold bag

all round less hassle and no joining the locker scrum on board
What scrum ?
The scrum I avoid is the check in scrum and the carousel scrum at the other end . Much more fun wheeling your bag past both

I've still not fully converted OH to hand luggage only so as NA have a low weight allowance I've reluctantly booked one bag between two of us for two weeks in Florida . I just know we will over pack just because we can. We've already had a "discussion" on the merits of a large suitcase over a medium sized one !

Edited at 01:03 PM.
duchy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Feb 19, 01:03 PM  
Link to this Post
FlorayG
Imagineer

FlorayG's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 3
Restaurant Reviews: 9

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 1
Guidebook Reviews: 2
^^
the OP had a lot products she needed to take, so my suggestion would be to check the bag for a fee and not worry about it...
Is shampoo, conditioner, moisturiser and sun cream 'a lot' of products?
FlorayG is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Feb 19, 01:05 PM  
Link to this Post
duchy
Imagineer

Originally Posted by FlorayG View Post
Not if less than ten bottles none exceeding 100 ml that will all fit in one baggy !
What about lip balm, lipstick, eyeliner , mascara, antiperspirant etc , they count as liquids too.

Edited at 01:06 PM.
duchy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Feb 19, 01:07 PM  
Link to this Post
sammykitten
Imagineer

Originally Posted by FlorayG View Post
when we're talking about fitting it into your hand luggage, yes. When I'm doing European destinations hand luggage only I don't take those things with me, I go to a pharmacy or supermarket when I arrive and buy them. But I like the idea of doing an advance click and collect order at Boots airside if you prefer specific products.
sammykitten is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List