Notices
Disney Cruise Line and Other Cruise Planning Cruise Questions and Tips.

Old 17 Feb 19, 05:56 PM  
Link to this Post
grannyed
Very Serious Dibber

Does anyone have experience of river cruises

We are thinking of booking one for July. We have never cruised and just wondering if there are any pitfalls. Are they cramped, noisy etc

My insurance won’t cover me for ocean cruises.

We like the idea of the Danube, or something similar in Europe. Looked at brochures but someone with experience may give a different view.
grannyed is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Feb 19, 10:57 PM  
Link to this Post

Mobile

I remember a couple of threads on this a few years ago so might be worth a search.

I haven't been but my mum has, she loved them. Most recent trip was with Viking - on Danube. Last time she talked about it she said good to really look into itinerary carefully and make sure stops and order suit you. She also goes one way and has a couple of days stop on at the end, rather than sail back.

Only others comments, take comfy trousers as eating big deal. First trip she regretted getting cheapest cabin as it was near engine. Second trip she regretted paying extra for balcony. This was great whilst cruising itself, but when got to berth boats often moored up side to side, so her balcony was unusable as she was looking straight into another cabin on another boat.

She has been on ocean cruises but prefers this.

Lastly. Go on websites and express interest obtain brochures. Discount emails follow. Might not be for money off cruises but might be for reduced price excursions - excursions might or might not be included in the cruise price.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Feb 19, 11:23 PM  
Link to this Post
Kat11
VIP Dibber

Mobile

My parents love them! They go on one every year. I even went on one myself (river Douru in Portugal) I fully recommend them! Some companies are more pricey than others but not necessarily better. Riviera are good.

Kat
WDW: Onsite: HRH/POFQ - October 2019
WDW: Partner Hotel: Hilton LBV @ DS & RPR - April 2022
DLC: LA - San Fran inc: DLC & Universal - Aug/Sept 2023
Kat11 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Feb 19, 10:25 AM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by grannyed View Post
We are thinking of booking one for July. We have never cruised and just wondering if there are any pitfalls. Are they cramped, noisy etc

My insurance won’t cover me for ocean cruises.

We like the idea of the Danube, or something similar in Europe. Looked at brochures but someone with experience may give a different view.
I have done two, one in Egypt and one in China, also done a lake cruise in Vietnam. No reason to assume it will be cramped, like anything need to check the cabin size as they will vary.

I have been more cramped on sea cruises although these were small boar cruises, I have never done a big ocean liner cruise.
Old 23 Feb 19, 12:36 PM  
Link to this Post
Jet
Imagineer

We have done three Nile cruises...really loved them ...so much to see and do.
And not crowded.
Would do one tomorrow but a bit scared to go back to Egypt at the moment.
So I would imagine the France and Germany ones would also be good.
Jet is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Feb 19, 12:45 PM  
Link to this Post
catlady
VIP Dibber

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 4
I'm interested in one of these after watching Jane MacDonald on one last year on her cruise programme! We're in our 50's though and wondered if everyone would be a lot older? 🤔
Old 23 Feb 19, 12:48 PM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by catlady View Post
I'm interested in one of these after watching Jane MacDonald on one last year on her cruise programme! We're in our 50's though and wondered if everyone would be a lot older? 🤔
I did each of my mentioned cruises when I was in my 30s. Each had a range of ages, I definitely did not feel out of place.
Old 23 Feb 19, 12:55 PM  
Link to this Post
catlady
VIP Dibber

theDIBB Guidebook
Originally Posted by Claudette View Post
I did each of my mentioned cruises when I was in my 30s. Each had a range of ages, I definitely did not feel out of place.
That's good to know many thanks! Which company did you use? I'd like to do one for our 30th wedding anniversary in September. Dh is taking some persuading
Old 23 Feb 19, 01:14 PM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by catlady View Post
That's good to know many thanks! Which company did you use? I'd like to do one for our 30th wedding anniversary in September. Dh is taking some persuading
In all honesty I do not remember what company I used, too long ago. The Asian ones I did whilst I decided to take a career break and do some travelling, so they were booked on the fly. I wasn’t doing the back-packing thing though (which could have brought age down), I was 34, didn’t use a back pack or step foot in a hostel, I was travelling as a normal person.
Old 23 Feb 19, 02:18 PM  
Link to this Post
catlady
VIP Dibber

theDIBB Guidebook
Sounds fab! I often say to my hubby I need a 'gap' year 🤣