Old 17 Feb 19, 07:35 PM  
Link to this Post
lottie89
Imagineer

Lottie & Dickie visit Mickey - Oct 2016 - Day 13: AK, MK & Victoria & Albert's

<<< Day 12 – Libby & Ben's wedding day

Day 13 – Animal Kingdom, Magic Kingdom, Victoria & Albert’s

Thursday 20th October 2016

Our alarm was set for 7.15am this morning and we actually seemed to get off quite lightly hangover wise! Was probably all of the carbs we ate to accompany the excessive booze.

Beautiful room view

We got ready and left the room at 8.30am, and were on a bus to Animal Kingdom at 8.43am (thank you, notes).

The plan was to head straight for Expedition Everest but unfortunately it was closed, so we decided to do Tough to be a Bug. I remember doing this in 1998/1999, brought back so many memories of our family trips.

Bug eyes

The park didn’t feel too busy today, so we managed to walk straight onto Expedition Everest when it did open, and we decided to wait for the back this time. I think I prefer the front on this ride though, especially with the broken track part. Can’t wait to take my sister and her boyfriend on it later this year and not tell them about that part!

Beautiful day today

Our carriage awaits

At 9.45am we headed to see Festival of the Lion King – this is another show we saw back in the 90s. When we came in 1998 it was a soft opening of AK for onsite guests, and FotLK was almost 100% ready, except for some of the costumes. The monkeys just wore gymnastic leotards! This show is an absolute WDW highlight for me and I obviously cried. Another one I can’t wait to do this year with my sister – she was 8 when we last went and remembers the show.

Great view from the warthog section

We thought about doing Kilamanjaro Safaris next but the wait was 45 minutes so we decided against it, and went to get a Mickey pretzel instead. Unfortunately it wasn’t very nice, so that was disappointing.

You're cute, but you taste bland

Atmosphere shot

Photopass stop

We had planned to watch Finding Nemo but by the time we’d had a toilet stop, it was too late. I’ll have to make sure we see it next time!
We had a lovely morning at AK and were really glad we’d visited and seen FotLK.

Next stop was MK – we got a bus directly from AK. I was so happy to be back in the Magic Kingdom – we were getting to the last few days of the trip and I was making sure to really soak it in.

From one park...

To the next

Happy place

We found a Splash FP at 12.35pm so we decided to cancel our 1.05pm Haunted Mansion one. This was a result as it was a lovely day and we really fancied a ride on Splash!

There was a 25 minute queue to meet Mickey, and I really wanted to check out the talking version so we got in line. It was really fun meeting him, but definitely a tad odd. I don’t want to say creepy because Mickey isn’t creepy…but it was strange having him talk!

Guess he was complimenting the ears?

Look into my eyes

I guess he got the trick right!

Caught the trolley show

Yay

Lunch was at Columbia Harbour House – I hadn’t been in here before, it’s quite cute and we really liked the upstairs. I really fancied chicken nuggets but decided to order the pot pie. It was great to have some broccoli, my body was definitely craving some nutrients.

Looks like Rich had some kind of lobster or crab roll? Sorry for sideways photo

My pot pie

Splash was next, it’s so much fun in the blazing sunshine, although I got a wet bum as usual.

Splashin' down

I like buying a Christmas decoration to remember each trip, so we had a browse of the Christmas shop. Unfortunately I’m the world’s worst decision-maker so we left empty handed and headed over to the Hall of Presidents instead.

I can’t believe how much Americans LOVE America. So much cheering and whooping. Guys, they’re animatronics. Both of us had a nice nap though!

After a quick Dole Whip stop (delish), we queued to meet Gaston as Rich was wearing a Gaston t-shirt. It was a brilliant interaction – I don’t normally like meeting face characters but it was a laugh.

Dole Whip time

Obviously a totes hilair meeting

We had a 7DMT FP next, and waited for the back. It’s definitely worth waiting, as you get a more thrilling ride at the back on this relatively tame coaster.

I really wanted to watch the parade next but Rich was getting grumpy so we gave it a miss and started to head out. I wanted to look for a keyring but couldn’t find a nice one, and Rich was getting more grumpy so I gave up and just bought some pens for my family.
On the way out we caught the brilliant Dapper Dans – they were different men from the wedding the day before, but they obviously cast the same ‘type’ of men: one short and dumpy, one tall, and two middlies.

We decided to get the boat back to the hotel, but we just missed one. When the next one arrived we were unlucky enough to have the cut off just before us. We gave up at this point and went to get the monorail. We waited 5 minutes for the next one, got on, and then the driver had to restart the train and we were waiting another 15 minutes to get going. You can imagine an already grumpy Rich was not happy about this.

We got back to the hotel at about 4.45pm and spent a lovely hour chilling with a beer by the pool, before heading up to get ready for our meal at Victoria & Albert’s.

Chillin' with my beer

Unfortunately I’ve not written super detailed notes. I know we had a really lovely evening, and ate some delicious food. The waiters were really knowledgeable and passionate about food – ours was about to go to France for a 3 week cuisine tour. For the price, I don’t quite think the food lives up to some of the 2 and 3 Michelin star restaurants we’ve been to, but that’s not to say it wasn’t fantastic, and the service wasn't world class, because it was. Our bill was $727, $110 of that being the tip! Which is just extortionate anywhere. Last year we got engaged at Mirazur in France, which is currently 4th in the world’s top 50 list (was 3rd when we visited), and has 3 Michelin stars. We had the fanciest tasting menu and the wine pairing, and the bill was £500, which is the most we’ve ever paid for a meal outside of V&As. The food was memorable and innovative and many dishes were totally mindblowing. I just don’t think V&A had that same level of constant ‘WOW’ in the food. If money was no object, I’d 100% return, because it was still totally amazing, but it’s hard to justify a bill that big a second time!

I’m not trying to throw shade at all, because it was a truly amazing evening, unlike any I’ve ever experienced in Disney World. We left feeling so full (and poor!) that we couldn’t face a nightcap, so headed straight to bed!

I am actually in this picture

Handy Photopass photographer in the lobby

Ready for a feast

Food pics incoming, with no descriptions!

Tha damage

Cute photo on the way out

Spends
Harambe Fruit Market: $6.06
Columbia Harbour House:$30.11
Aloha Isle: $5.64
Emporium Merchandise: $26.62
GF pool bar: $20.68
V&A: $727.70
TOTAL: $816.81

Day 14 - US, IOA & MNSSHP >>>
California ~ 2015

Edited at 07:08 PM.
lottie89 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Feb 19, 09:09 PM  
Link to this Post
collybird
Imagineer

I can't believe you were up and about so early after the wedding, I bet Rich thought you were exaggerating when you told him that Disney holidays aren't relaxing.

Enjoyed reading about your time at V&A, eye-wateringly expensive but it's great to be able to say you have experienced it.

P.S. Congratulations on your engagement, that's exciting news!
collybird is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Feb 19, 10:07 PM  
Link to this Post
Emily90
Excited about Disney

Fab day! The 3pm parade is one of my fave things to do at Disney but we only ever see it once if that as we're usually so hot and drained by that time!

Love the V&A outfit!
Emily90 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Feb 19, 06:11 PM  
Link to this Post
Palm trees
Apprentice Imagineer

What a lovely day, those food pictures look stunning.
Palm trees is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Feb 19, 07:39 PM  
Link to this Post
Cinderella
Imagineer

Great day 👍
Cinderella is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Feb 19, 08:10 PM  
Link to this Post
ILoveDaveLamb
Imagineer

Gorgeous frock at V&A’s! Congratulations on your engagement:-) x