Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 18 Feb 19, 05:34 PM  
Link to this Post
caj
VIP Dibber

caj's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by Jack Daniel's View Post
I eat bacon everyday, its a protein & fat, there's no carbs or sugar I don't think,
I do too .. infact, eggs, bacon and mushrooms would all be OK, its the carbs that are the problem, not the fats. .

OP I can't recommend the 8 week blood sugar diet highly enough. Buy the book to understand it and get the basic 8 week plan, the recipe book to give you ideas to vary it. And join the 8 week blood sugar diet friends on FB. (That group is pretty friendly, there is another group which is less so!) .

I lost two stone very quickly doing it, bloods dropped to normal range. You can only do 8- 12 weeks, then you can go back up some calories, before having another round.

Post round 1 I have then stuck to basic principles, but can sort of eat normally. (No rice, pasta, potatoes, sugar or bread) So for breakfast I had porridge with bluberries, Sunday lunch yesterday i did a roast dinner, the rest had roast potatoes, I had roasted butternut squash. For pudding i might have greek yoghurt with berries, tea was oatcakes with cheese and salad.
caj is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Feb 19, 05:35 PM  
Link to this Post
britishgirl
Relaxing at the Grand Floridian

Originally Posted by Jack Daniel's View Post
I eat bacon everyday, its a protein & fat, there's no carbs or sugar I don't think,
At the moment he is at the diet stage, we are hoping to introduce a more lenient eating plan when his weight and blood sugars are back under control so bacon should come back but maybe as a treat rather than a staple,we are still learning the ropes at the moment
britishgirl is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Feb 19, 06:47 PM  
Link to this Post
caj
VIP Dibber

caj's Reviews
Originally Posted by britishgirl View Post
At the moment he is at the diet stage, we are hoping to introduce a more lenient eating plan when his weight and blood sugars are back under control so bacon should come back but maybe as a treat rather than a staple,we are still learning the ropes at the moment
I strongly suggest you look at Michael Mosely ... its about not having too many carbs ... the bacon won't up his blood sugars. The fat will help to keep him feeling more full.

Oh and aim for 3L of water per day ... it helps to flush the cells out .. again MM explains it!
caj is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Feb 19, 07:03 PM  
Link to this Post
Posiesmum
VIP Dibber

Posiesmum's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 3

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 2
Guidebook Photos: 3
Originally Posted by britishgirl View Post
My husband was dignosed just after new year with type 2 diabetes just after new year,and he too is trying to reverse it with a strict diet at the moment we are all on 800 calories a day diet and this can fluctuate between 800 and 900 calories most days and we seem to be doing quite well but it is boring,we mostly fill up on veggies and make vegetable based meals,vegeterian chilli,and veggie soups etc.keep at it,it does get easier but the problem is boredom with food choice.But the scales telling us that we have all lost over a stone each in 4 weeks is a good incentive to keep going
Originally Posted by ERICSMUM View Post
I still eat tasty curries but instead of rice I have roughly-mashed steamed cauliflower. It absorbs the curry sauce and is delish, I actually prefer it to rice.
I reversed type 2 diabetes by using the same very low carb diet. If you google Dr Michael Moseley you’ll find a lot of info.
800 calls a day is brutal, but better than type 2 diabetes. Also, it’s not forever, it’s for a limited time and it’s real food, not shakes or diet stuff. We now eat very few carbs/refined grains etc and feel better for it.

Villefranche-sur-Mer/Monaco - June and July 2024
Orlando for Thanksgiving - November/December 2024
Belfast/Dublin/Vancouver - June 2025
Posiesmum is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Feb 19, 07:12 PM  
Link to this Post
YorkshireT
Imagineer

Originally Posted by FlorayG View Post
Yes you can reverse it with the right diet but you have to stick with it. Two weeks in Disney eating stuff he shouldn't will just make it all that much harder to get back on track as well as making him ill again. The problem is, all that cake and stuff he likes is bad for you, full stop. Many people get away with dietary abuse for years but once it catches up with you then you have to pay the price. You can't 'cure' diabetes - only reverse or manage it. You still have it, waiting for you to fall off the wagon
It amazes us what people feed the kids in particular. Yes I know you are on holiday but giving 10 year olds adult meals on dining plan, snacks, and now even gourmet milkshakes on top at up to 1000 calories a piece is ridiculous. If you add up the calories a kid can eat on the dining plan it can quite easily hit 4000 a day (twice recommend for an adult), and that can do some damage for a solid 2 weeks.
Disney needs to get some corporate responsibility in this area and stop forcing 10 year olds onto adult portions.
Mine are 11 and 14 and find the kids meals more than enough mostly, another reason we don't do dining plan.
The dining plan is way too much food. We had a constant battle with the kids to get some fruit etc last time we were on DDP in 2016- never again.
I wouldn't do dining plan if you have type 2 diabetes really. My dad has it and wouldn't do it.

Edited at 07:28 PM.
YorkshireT is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Feb 19, 07:16 PM  
Link to this Post
kc1
Imagineer

Mobile

Brother in law has diabetes and has lost 1 1/2 stone since Christmas he’s doing the 800 cal using my fitness pal and logging everything yeah it’s hard but he says he’s determined to get rid! Today he had a check up he’s now pre diabetes they r cutting down his tablets he’s delighted cos he knows it’s starting to pay off x
kc1 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Feb 19, 07:16 PM  
Link to this Post
meboo
Imagineer

Have a look at this for inspiration in the hard moments

Edited at 07:17 PM.
meboo is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Feb 19, 07:19 PM  
Link to this Post
meboo
Imagineer

Mobile

Oops - link doesn't seem to work on here so seek out 'Sarah & Glinys Managing Diabetes into remission Jan2019' on Youtube. Its an NHS video, so not spam!
meboo is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Feb 19, 07:38 PM  
Link to this Post
sully301
Imagineer

i'll probably get slated for this but i really think he needs to come to terms with his diagnosis, adjust his diet now, lose weight if he needs to and have some bad things in moderation when on holiday etc. I work on a hospital ward that deals with people who have not managed their diabetes well. Believe me you don't want the consequences in the future.
sully301 is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Feb 19, 08:14 PM  
Link to this Post
tigerfee
VIP Dibber

Mobile

Thanks everyone
You really motivated him..I've shared your comments for everyone that has it under control and he's determined to adjust his eating habits.
Hopefully it will get easier in time and we learn what he can and can't have...it's definitely been a wake up call. X
tigerfee is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List