Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 19 Feb 19, 01:32 PM  
Link to this Post

Mobile

We have done a week 4 times now and would happily do it again. Managing 6 parks with a 2 year old depends on your child. It's probably ok if he will nap and stay in the buggy when you want to move around quickly.

The main thing with a shorter trip is accepting that you can't do everything. If a queue is too long, or a ride happens to be closed during your one day in that park then you have to accept that you won't get another chance that trip. We tend to do a week as an extra trip so we know we're going back if we miss something.

I have done both direct and indirect for a week. I normally go with whatever is cheapest, but would say that direct is easier for a short trip.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Feb 19, 04:17 PM  
Link to this Post
Bridget
Imagineer

No, if it was me and my first time I would save up and go the year after.
Old 19 Feb 19, 04:30 PM  
Link to this Post
WhereIBelong
Imagineer

We go at Easter time.

Easter is too busy to go for a week. In the parks and on the roads.

Most of the time would be spent in queues - BTMRR - 90min average, IASWAA - 25min average (for IASW! ). When you have one day at MK, 90min in a line is a big chunk - and that is for one ride...
WhereIBelong is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Feb 19, 06:32 PM  
Link to this Post
looloomoomoo
Apprentice Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 37
Guidebook Reviews: 5
Another thing I would add is that Easter is crazy busy - Our first two times were at Easter, thinking that summer would be just too hot, and first Easter was good weather, like a nice summer here, but second was very hit and miss with the weather - we had rain most days and it didn't always feel warm enough to wear shorts. So we reluctantly decided to go for July - worrying about the heat and thinking it would be a disaster - we couldn't have been more wrong - we loved it - the weather is pretty amazing in July and August - yes it is hot but they are so geared up for it everywhere. You can see that apart from our first two times, the next visits were always July or August. Would always opt for that now. Just a thought.

looloomoomoo is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Feb 19, 06:45 PM  
Link to this Post
Firsttimers2018
Getting Excited

Mobile

We went for the first time last year for 3 weeks and even that wasn't long enough. We did universal Disney and seaworld parks. Going back this Oct for 9 days just to do universal. Postpone and go for longer your first time. You'll end up going again anyway.
Firsttimers2018 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Feb 19, 09:09 AM  
Link to this Post
Bestbubba
Imagineer

OP, it probably sounds as if we're all raining on your (Disney&#128521 parade but truly we're not. You obviously have valid reasons for just going for a week and of course everyone on here respects that. It's just that we all know how hugely expensive these holidays are and how once in a lifetime turns into a yearly "surely it's only MARGINALLY dearer than Majorca and much better value for money " discussion as we're wrapping the Christmas presents! A week is probably doable, lots of Dibbers are giving you examples, but it's not going to be the best trip it could be. Whatever you decide, when you do go, have a magical time x
Bestbubba is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Feb 19, 09:30 AM  
Link to this Post
Firsttimers2018
Getting Excited

Mobile

Originally Posted by Bestbubba View Post
OP, it probably sounds as if we're all raining on your (Disney&#128521 parade but truly we're not. You obviously have valid reasons for just going for a week and of course everyone on here respects that. It's just that we all know how hugely expensive these holidays are and how once in a lifetime turns into a yearly "surely it's only MARGINALLY dearer than Majorca and much better value for money " discussion as we're wrapping the Christmas presents! A week is probably doable, lots of Dibbers are giving you examples, but it's not going to be the best trip it could be. Whatever you decide, when you do go, have a magical time x
I concur. We did 3 weeks as said "once in a lifetime". Spent an absolute fortune. Don't regret a dollar of it as never going again. Got home August. Was booked again by October for this year. 😁 you will love it however long you go for but you need time to enjoy it so if a week is all you have this year do one park or the other. Enjoy.
Firsttimers2018 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Feb 19, 10:15 AM  
Link to this Post
Em4owen
slightly serious Dibber

Mobile

We did 2 weeks for our honeymoon and it exhausted us - rope drop and fireworks every day! This was in 2007 and the parks are much bigger and busier this time. We've waited a long time to book for our family holiday in 2020. After years of dibbing, we decided on 3 weeks in August as we're restricted to school holidays but want to make the most of it without exhausting the kids. We've been saving for years and have a budget of about £8000-£9000 without spending money - this includes villa, Disney hotel, universal hotel, tickets for both, indirect flights and car hire. If you need to save and wait longer, then I'm sure you won't regret it. But if you're set on 1 week next year, I figure you could do it in your budget if you stay offsite and fly indirect, then go for it - life's too short. Good luck with whatever you decide to do.
Old 20 Feb 19, 10:17 AM  
Link to this Post
TerryYa
Excited about Disney

Mobile

I think I'd definitely choose the two weeks in the summer.

Whether you go for 1 or 2 weeks the main costs of flights and tickets are the same so the only extras are accommodation, food and spends.

They obviously depend on where you stay but going for 2 weeks would get you 100% more holiday for about 20% more money.
TerryYa is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Feb 19, 12:41 PM  
Link to this Post
Burgmeister
Imagineer

Burgmeister's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 4
OP, we have been with DD 6 times (IIRC) and she has still not been to Universal. We have been for trips of 2 weeks or more for 5 of those visits. We are going for 3 weeks this summer and we still won;t be going to Universal.

That is not to say don't go for a week if you want - I'm sure you will enjoy it, but I think you should certainly consider whether you want to try and do all the parks. If you want advice (and you certainly didn't ask for it!) then you can save money and stress by just concentrating on either Disney or Universal.