Notices
Disney Cruise Line and Other Cruise Trip Reports Trip Reports

Old 27 Jan 13, 11:25 AM  
Link to this Post

We are on the fantasy in nov and have booked 11006, we just wish that they had wheelchair accessible cabins on deck 12
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Jan 13, 04:50 PM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by loopy linda View Post
Oooooh,I am soo bad. I loved the look of the room,so we have just upgraded concierge 12510 which is a family room to 12506
ooh fab you will love it

remember to sign the book in the lounge, especially the little ones and there's also a ships bell to ring over in the corner, you can do this if as a family you have a special announcement or just for the heck of it i.e "photo opportunity" we had one little girl do this on our cruise to announce the start of the sail away with one of the ships officers
Old 21 Jun 13, 02:29 PM  
Link to this Post
Lottie2004
VIP Dibber

Just re-read your trip report and now I'm even more excited .. We have just booked stateroom 12508 for our 1st cruise next Aug... (This one has the larger balcony) just a quick question ... I read that tipping is normally $12 pppd .. Is this the same in concierge or is more expected ?
Lottie2004 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Jun 13, 03:10 PM  
Link to this Post

ahh the bugbear that is concierge tipping, the $12 pp per night is nothing to do with concierge, the staff in here or tipping them, what can i say except that it's left completely at your discretion and no guide is given

but i am going to pm you a link to a concierge tipping poll that was done over on another forum by mainly US guests, it makes for eye opening reading and gives a good guide, it will help

Edited at 03:25 PM.
Old 21 Jun 13, 05:37 PM  
Link to this Post
Bats
Disney Cruise Line VIP!

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 13
Originally Posted by mazz View Post
ahh the bugbear that is concierge tipping, the $12 pp per night is nothing to do with concierge, the staff in here or tipping them, what can i say except that it's left completely at your discretion and no guide is given

but i am going to pm you a link to a concierge tipping poll that was done over on another forum by mainly US guests, it makes for eye opening reading and gives a good guide, it will help
Could you just put the results on here Marie? No links, just the results.
I saw the poll myself and was shocked at what some people thought!
Old 21 Jun 13, 05:43 PM  
Link to this Post

Done Concierge on both Magic & Wonder - great isn't it? The Dream staterooms are certainly different in layout.
Old 21 Jun 13, 05:48 PM  
Link to this Post

I do ,however, agree with the comment made:
"None of those options covers my opinion. I would tip at the time, when a service is supplied. Amount would depend on what I asked to be done, and if it was done quickly/well/grudgingly/several hours later/etc."
Old 21 Jun 13, 06:32 PM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by mazz View Post

I have sailed concierge with DCL quite a few times, firstly a word of warning on that poll, people tend on that board, not to post if they do not tip or till a low amount they can tend to show off and if its a big tip post it.

I will firstly tell you a true tip, and you will ***gulp**.

I as said have sailed a lot with them in a suite and consider myself a good tipper, inter action with CMs and people who remember me would indicate that.

I had a back to back cruise in 2012, two weeks on the fantasy.

First week I had a lot pre booked but got some extras like Remy brunch just starting then and so considered a like tip.

I spent an evening in the Concierge lounge and listened in on the tips and they were all in the bracket of $100 to $140 for a seven night cruise. My tip was top end.

Second week we relaxed as we had done it all concierge didn't book anything for us, said hello that's it, now again I went to the CL and listened in last night and you can 'hear' wasn't going on.

I was quite proud of my tip and was going to go up, after a few $100 to $140s had gone through.

Funny I recall a guy in the most expensive suite complain about what is this on my stateroom account the CM Concierge host said its tips, he said he wasn't informed of that and its all inclusive and they wiped his off! I had seen him in the CL prior on a few days and was always using their services, so was tip free! They tried to explain but he wouldn't have it!

Anyway before I got up another man came in a nice guy I hadn't seen before, He said I want to post my tips.

For concierge host 1 $300 concierge host 2 $300 and the lady serving, he said your nice, you can have $400. So $1,000 in tips just for concierge!

Her reply was, you are very generous sir!.

Through embarrassment I retired at that point, I did increase my tip above the ball park quoted even though we hadn't used them much and then gave it in later at 10pm.

Anyway, no guidelines do what you think, and base on if you use the CMs and shore side Concierge at all for anything.
Old 21 Jun 13, 06:44 PM  
Link to this Post
Chilly80
Imagineer

The lounge and sun deck sure do sound nice.
Golden Triangle Trip Report
Chilly80 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Jun 13, 06:55 PM  
Link to this Post

Not only Concierge give great service. On our first cruise on the Wonder we had a steward who cleaned and attended to the room. That lad worked his spherical objects off every 18 hour day. He was trying to get enough money together to get an apartment in Rio for him and his partner. He would insist on calling us Mr Salt or Sir and when I said to use our first names he would only do so by saying Mr Darrin or Mr Geoff to conform with Disney policy. If we came back to get something from the stateroom he would stop whatever he was doing and leave immediately until we persuaded him it was fine to carry on. One day we found him on his knees scrubbing the shower stall with cleanser. We were only too glad to give him a good bonus on top of the suggested tip. He didn't to try to ingratiate himself and was quite shy to begin with but it was nice to learn what work patterns these guys do.
Likewise on our Magic cruise we had a server - Igor... wait for it... from Trannsylvania! He was just brilliant and had a terrific sense of humour. If you couldn't decide what desserts to have he would tell you - choose two! He even got me a Mickey Premium bar with sprinkles when I asked for one one night. One guest when asked what dessert would answer "Nothing, thanks!" and every night a plate would arrive with "Nothing" iced on it.
These guys make your holiday.

Edited at 07:03 PM.