Notices
Disney Cruise Line and Other Cruise Planning Cruise Questions and Tips.

Old 16 Oct 21, 11:08 AM  
Link to this Post
SloanRangers
Excited about Disney

SloanRangers's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 5
Restaurant Reviews: 8
Getting to Miami port from Orlando

We are due to take our first cruise in September on the Dream out of Miami. The cruise will follow stays at WDW and US so I’m looking at how best to get from Orlando down to Miami.
The original plan was to hire a car the night before and set off early morning to drive down and drop the car off near the port.
Now, as car hire prices are really high, I’m wondering if we’d be better to fly down. Based on current car hire prices I suspect even allowing for cab/Uber from the hotel to airport and then to the port, it still might be cheaper?

I’d be interested if anyone has experience of either option they can share?

TIA 🙂
2010- Port Orleans Riverside/ Royal Pacific
2013- Saratoga Springs/Portofino Bay
2015- Saratoga Springs/Sandpearl/Hard Rock Hotel
2017 - Beach Club/Sandpearl/Hard Rock Hotel
2018 - Las Vegas and Florida East Coast
2019- Los Angeles and Las Vegas
SloanRangers is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Oct 21, 12:35 PM  
Link to this Post
2point
VIP Dibber

We've hired a car one way (to Port Canaveral) before.

Next September I've booked a one way from Orlando (Renaissance Hotel) to Miami. We've got a cruise from Port Canaveral first (4 nights on the Wish), it's worked out cheaper for us to hire the car for 8 days (2 night in Orlando, 4 nights parking at the port ($66) then 2 nights before dropping the car in Miami prior to another cruise - Dream for 5 nights).

Booked car through HolidayAutos - could be worth sending an email to Andy at DCHF as he seems to able to get decent prices.

I've just put an example search in for September 17th 2022 to September 18th 2022 - MCO to MIA.

£34!

Includes zero CDW and $1m SLI with Hertz (I've seen via Autoeurope.ie that Hertz has a much lower SLI)
2point is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Oct 21, 03:15 PM  
Link to this Post
SloanRangers
Excited about Disney

SloanRangers's Reviews
Originally Posted by 2point View Post
We've hired a car one way (to Port Canaveral) before.

Next September I've booked a one way from Orlando (Renaissance Hotel) to Miami. We've got a cruise from Port Canaveral first (4 nights on the Wish), it's worked out cheaper for us to hire the car for 8 days (2 night in Orlando, 4 nights parking at the port ($66) then 2 nights before dropping the car in Miami prior to another cruise - Dream for 5 nights).

Booked car through HolidayAutos - could be worth sending an email to Andy at DCHF as he seems to able to get decent prices.

I've just put an example search in for September 17th 2022 to September 18th 2022 - MCO to MIA.

£34!

Includes zero CDW and $1m SLI with Hertz (I've seen via Autoeurope.ie that Hertz has a much lower SLI)
Thanks 2point that’s worth looking into. We might be on the same cruise - 5 night double dip from Miami on 26 Sept?
HolidayAutos are quoting £40 with 0 CDW and £1m SLI for one day hire from MIA to get us to Orlando. That would certainly be worth doing for the beginning of the holiday.
I tried a quote for hiring the car from Universal Studios and keeping until we fly home from Miami (8 days) and it came back at over £1400! Andy replied to say that for 1 day hires he can only offer the prices available on his website so I might see if he can do any better on an 8 day hire and just factor in parking at the port…

Thanks for your help 🙂
SloanRangers is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Oct 21, 05:44 PM  
Link to this Post
SloanRangers
Excited about Disney

SloanRangers's Reviews
Originally Posted by SloanRangers View Post
Thanks 2point that’s worth looking into. We might be on the same cruise - 5 night double dip from Miami on 26 Sept?
HolidayAutos are quoting £40 with 0 CDW and £1m SLI for one day hire from MIA to get us to Orlando. That would certainly be worth doing for the beginning of the holiday.
I tried a quote for hiring the car from Universal Studios and keeping until we fly home from Miami (8 days) and it came back at over £1400! Andy replied to say that for 1 day hires he can only offer the prices available on his website so I might see if he can do any better on an 8 day hire and just factor in parking at the port…

Thanks for your help 🙂
Update: with a little playing around on the HolidayAutos site, I’ve managed to get a deal to pick up the car from a hotel near SeaWorld on the Sunday afternoon so we can head off early Monday and drop it at MIA the following day - £40. We’ll just get a cab/Uber to the port from the airport.
Old 16 Oct 21, 08:02 PM  
Link to this Post
2point
VIP Dibber

Great result - yep we're on the same cruise!
2point is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Oct 21, 10:29 AM  
Link to this Post
jas72
VIP Dibber

Can't you just drop it at the port?

Old 19 Oct 21, 11:30 AM  
Link to this Post
SloanRangers
Excited about Disney

SloanRangers's Reviews
Originally Posted by jas72 View Post
Can't you just drop it at the port?
That would be easier but a lot of the car hire places don’t seem to make clear whether they have a desk at the port. I presume most of the main ones would but I was having difficulty identifying them and some seemed to require a bus transfer which was only available until about midday which would be no use if we were delayed en route from Orlando. I might have another look as the date I’ve booked allows a full refund up to 48 hours before the booking…
Old 22 Oct 21, 03:55 PM  
Link to this Post
jas72
VIP Dibber

Ah I see perhaps have a read of Cruise Critic boards or Royal Caribbean Blog they have more US cruisers and would know much more than on here.