Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 23 Oct 21, 11:55 AM  
Link to this Post
unixgirl
VIP Dibber

Use Global Entry or not?

So I have GE and have done for years but my family don't. When going through immigration would you stay with family (3 travelling together) and does this cause any issues) or just use GE and then wait at baggage reclaim?
unixgirl is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Oct 21, 11:58 AM  
Link to this Post
Dr.JumbaJookiba
VIP Dibber

In February we'll be separating from the kids and their friends and going claiming the luggage. I think, but have never tried it, that you'd be ok in the regular line with them but you can ask a host when you get there for peace of mind.
Dr.JumbaJookiba is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Oct 21, 12:02 PM  
Link to this Post
Gryff
Imagineer

Yes we just leave toes who haven’t got global entry go through and collect the bags
Last time we took gds through with us and Mum and Dad did the long line
The gkds have entry
Gryff is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Oct 21, 12:05 PM  
Link to this Post
SteveC
VIP Dibber

We have it and go ahead and collect all the cases of any family we’re travelling with but when just us, our son and his girlfriend went - she doesn’t have GE - he obviously decided to wait in the regular line with her with no issues. The border officer never mentioned to him that he knew he had GE.
SteveC is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Oct 21, 01:11 PM  
Link to this Post
loldis
Imagineer

I don't have GE but have done this in Australia (dual citizen) when travelling with others. It's just my job to go collect the bags while they're waiting to go through immigration.

I can't see it being a problem to go into the regular queue, but presumably you don't live together so you'd have to go up separately anyway. Why stand in a line that you don't have to?

Edited at 01:13 PM.
loldis is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Oct 21, 01:41 PM  
Link to this Post
sha9
VIP Dibber

sha9's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 5
Restaurant Reviews: 1
I was wondering if GE was worth it for my sister and I. Next year when we’re going with our parents we could go and get the luggage/car hire sorted and in future years we’ll just benefit as normal.

Trip Report Index
sha9 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Oct 21, 02:25 PM  
Link to this Post
unixgirl
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by loldis View Post
I don't have GE but have done this in Australia (dual citizen) when travelling with others. It's just my job to go collect the bags while they're waiting to go through immigration.

I can't see it being a problem to go into the regular queue, but presumably you don't live together so you'd have to go up separately anyway. Why stand in a line that you don't have to?
Exactly - we don’t live together so would have to go up separately. I think I’ll just do GE as normal. Thanks everyone.
unixgirl is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Oct 21, 02:39 PM  
Link to this Post
Peko
Imagineer

It is no issue if you choose not to use the GE path and go via the regular desks. The CBP officer might or might not comment on it, but no more than that. My non-GE family likes me to stay with them, so I do, though as mentioned above, maybe less relevant if you don’t live together.
Peko is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Oct 21, 02:45 PM  
Link to this Post
bighal
Imagineer

Originally Posted by sha9 View Post
I was wondering if GE was worth it for my sister and I. Next year when we’re going with our parents we could go and get the luggage/car hire sorted and in future years we’ll just benefit as normal.
I think it would depend on how many times a year you travel to the US. Going once a year I would say its not worth it.
The longest we have had to wait over the last 15 years worth of trips was only 45 minutes and that was because we where at the back of the plane. We always pick flights that don't arrive when several international flights arrive to reduce wait times, it works for us.

Next Trip Feb '24
Jun98 Apr99 Dec99 Apr00 Mar03 Jun/Jul04 Dec/Jan05/06 Jul06 Dec06 Jun/Jul08 Jun/Jul09 Jul/Aug11 Sep13 Jun/Jul14 Nov15 Sep16 Villa/BWV May18 Villa/BLT/AKL Sept19 Villa/AKL Feb/Mar20 AKL/SSR Sep22 AKL Apr/May 23 CS/CC/AKL Nov 23 SSR Feb/Mar 24 RR/BR
bighal is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Oct 21, 07:14 PM  
Link to this Post
sha9
VIP Dibber

sha9's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 5
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by bighal View Post
I think it would depend on how many times a year you travel to the US. Going once a year I would say its not worth it.
The longest we have had to wait over the last 15 years worth of trips was only 45 minutes and that was because we where at the back of the plane. We always pick flights that don't arrive when several international flights arrive to reduce wait times, it works for us.
Maybe but we’ve waited 2 hours in recent years - an hour on the plane and another in immigration.

Trip Report Index
sha9 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List