Notices
Disneyland California and West Coast Trip Planning Disneyland California and West Coast Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 21 Aug 21, 02:04 PM  
Link to this Post
cornishfrogboy
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by cherub85 View Post
Cornish frog boy… will definitely be back on here asking for tips when we do decide to go! Also have a couple of old school guide books that we bought a few years ago when we first began thinking about the trip! It’s quite overwhelming as there is so much to see so will be a case of prioritising parts!
Glad to hear!

I wouldn’t worry over much with the guide books.

It does look overwhelming at first, but the easy way to look at it is that for most, it is a straight line from San Francisco to the northern edge of Los Angeles.. at this point, some stay on the coast whilst some go round the back (think M25). Round the back are 6 Flags, Universal, Warner Bros and then Anaheim whilst sticking to the Coast is the Beaches.
From then on, it is down the Coast to San Diego.

The main adjunct to this simple route is that some head off inland to Yosemite.

Like being on a self driven bus route, it is for you to decide where to stop off on the way and for how long. 90% probably follow exactly the same route until reaching Los Angeles.

As for the flying bit. You can arrive direct at San Francisco, Los Angeles or San Diego.
You can go indirect into or out of San Luis Obispo, Burbank (near to Universal and Warner Bros), John Wayne (Close to Anaheim) and doubtless others.

It really is simply about reading the trip reports of others and making up your own itinerary. Some reports are one day, one thread and others are a continuous running thread. Pre trips are also good sources of information.

I have the link to my 2018 report and my 2021 ore trip report in my signature and also my two California cancellations are in the California pretrip report section.
All are pretty short, single thread and hopefully a source of ideas involving Flights, Car Hires, internal flights , hotel choices and attractions.

Hoping that helps!

Edited at 02:07 PM.
cornishfrogboy is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Aug 21, 04:15 PM  
Link to this Post
landandword17
Imagineer

People have done it, people go to Vegas for long weekend stag/hen parties. I’m another who isnt interested in theme parks in California because there’s too much for us to do but yes I would do what you have suggested. I’d do 3 days in Disney max, probably 2, one day in Universal and then the rest visiting the coastal towns of Laguna and Newport Beach. Without a car I’d go down to San Diego. Pre Covid I probably would have said to you wait and go for 3 weeks in the future but now you just never know and with a 20 year old who may not want to travel with you in a few years? I’d be on the plane ✈️
landandword17 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Aug 21, 04:26 PM  
Link to this Post
cherub85
Very Serious Dibber

Mobile

Originally Posted by landandword17 View Post
People have done it, people go to Vegas for long weekend stag/hen parties. I’m another who isnt interested in theme parks in California because there’s too much for us to do but yes I would do what you have suggested. I’d do 3 days in Disney max, probably 2, one day in Universal and then the rest visiting the coastal towns of Laguna and Newport Beach. Without a car I’d go down to San Diego. Pre Covid I probably would have said to you wait and go for 3 weeks in the future but now you just never know and with a 20 year old who may not want to travel with you in a few years? I’d be on the plane ✈️
Good point about our daughter. I don’t think she would want to come if we are doing lots of touring, that’s why we thought maybe just the week at this point focusing on the parks and then we can return as a couple and explore other parts at our leisure! We had thought our Disney trip in 2020 would be our last big family trip but of course that didn’t happen, and neither did its replacement in 2021! The money from that trip has been used for two weeks all inclusive in Mexico next Easter. She is so looking forward to that as she won’t have been abroad then for over two years and is used to going a couple of times a year!
cherub85 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Aug 21, 01:47 PM  
Link to this Post
megaflyer
Imagineer

I have done San Diego for just 2 days (work) but equally flown to Palm Springs (LA then car to PS) for New Year - a few days. Easily doable infact going to LA, once we can, with my sister and her hubby for a long weekend
megaflyer is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Aug 21, 02:01 PM  
Link to this Post
Bozza
Imagineer

Bozza's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 49
We've taken to doing February half-term Saturday to Saturday (landing back Sunday) trips and although all of these, to date, have been to Orlando, we wouldn't hesitate to go to the West coast if we found flights at the right price.

As others have said - plenty of people go to Vegas for long weekends, so fly nearly as far and stay for less time.

People often fly indirect to Florida too, with a total flight time of 12-14 hours, less time than it will take to fly to the West Coast direct.

The time difference is the one factor that I would suggest is significant. We know we can handle that fine, but not everyone may be the same.

But, in short, if we could snag decent flight prices, we'd happily do a West Coast week. We did four days at Disneyland, staying at the Disneyland Hotel on our last West Coast trip and, to be sure you really have the time to take it all in, I'd suggest at least three days. One day would be enough for Universal, leaving you with a few days to maybe chill on the coast at Santa Monica, or similar. Sounds a lovely trip to me!

Part One
Part Two
Bozza is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Aug 21, 04:40 PM  
Link to this Post
pritch
Apprentice Imagineer

pritch's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 4
While in Anaheim knots farm worth a day, a different theme park
Liki Tiki Resort Kissimee 09, Homewood Suites 10 Disneyland Anaheim 11. Coco Key I drive 12. AKL Arusha view 16. Ramada Maingate Kissimee 16, Disney All Star Music 16 Rosen Inn Pointe Orlando 14/16/18/19/22 Serlago suites kissimmee 16 /22 Continental plaza i drive 16 Wakuhula Suites cocoa beach 16. International Palms cocoa beach 14/18/22, Hilton Cocoa Beach 08. Disney Dolphin 18
pritch is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List