Notices
Disneyland California and West Coast Trip Planning Disneyland California and West Coast Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 18 Oct 21, 08:31 PM  
Link to this Post
Softy
Imagineer

Originally Posted by anji View Post
Just typical that I rebooked our flights to Vancouver with BA on Tuesday! Paid £511 direct with baggage, which I was happy with. Cheaper than our original Air Canada flights. So I'm not looking at any more prices now - happy with what I have so don't want to go aaaarrrgh!
But you can cancel for a voucher and rebook the cheaper price using the voucher. The change wil come as a new voucher you can use on another booking.

So long as your flight is by the end of august 22.
Softy is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Oct 21, 11:31 PM  
Link to this Post
anji
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by Softy View Post
But you can cancel for a voucher and rebook the cheaper price using the voucher. The change wil come as a new voucher you can use on another booking.

So long as your flight is by the end of august 22.
Thanks. I didn't know that but we're going in September anyway.

Index to all trip reports here https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho...3#post15913083
Seattle to San Francisco
Road Trip Florida 2017
New England Road Trip 2019
Florida Road Trip 2022
Canada/Pacific NW Road Trip 2022
Cyprus Chill week May 2023
Road Trip California & Arizona 2023
anji is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Oct 21, 06:36 AM  
Link to this Post
YorkshireT
Imagineer

Originally Posted by cornishfrogboy View Post
No secret that I research things to death.
No secret that I am building up research to buy California in late Oct of 2022.
No secret that BA have a sale on.
No secret that BA release on 355 days.
Might be a secret that we go hand baggage only.

These may tip some into a purchase as I believe them spectacularly low, particularly when you look at current Orlando prices for 2022!

This seems to be the current going rate when flying any Mon, Tues, Wed, Thurs either out or back around Sept.

Hope it helps some as £400 on a multi city to arguably the perfect start and finish points on a West Coast run seems an absolute bargain.
Cornish - how do you go on holiday with hand luggage only, and can you please have a word with Mrs YT who insists on 4 large cases for just a week?
Old 19 Oct 21, 06:38 AM  
Link to this Post
YorkshireT
Imagineer

Originally Posted by megaflyer View Post
BA are retuning A380 to some of the routes - EG that has seen the amount of seats to LAX increase significantly and thus price for Club lowest I have seen in a decade
I’m off to have a look for summer.

Edit- no good for us, Club adds 6k to the holiday over economy.

Edited at 06:52 AM.
YorkshireT is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Oct 21, 07:00 AM  
Link to this Post
cornishfrogboy
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by YorkshireT View Post
Cornish - how do you go on holiday with hand luggage only, and can you please have a word with Mrs YT who insists on 4 large cases for just a week?
In 2019, we did Boston, NY, Dayton OH, Orlando, Naples, Miami on hand luggage only, over 3 weeks and with 2 internal flights, 2 car hires and a train, ( plus trains to and from Cornwall to the airport). 4 flights in all, so hold baggage would have hurt!

We simply wore our coats, long trousers/ Shoes/Bulkier stuff and used the pockets for camera, etc. We had around 7x Knickers and socks each and plenty of shorts, shirts, IPads etc. We took few toiletries (100ml max) and no towels.
We knew that Dayton was nights 5,6 and 7 , also that it had washers and driers. We simply got up and used the washing machine, moved it to the drier when we went to breakfast and it was dry by the time we were ready to go out, all folded in our suitcases to start again.

When we got to Orlando, it was one night on IDrive, one in the ROR and then 9 in a villa with adequate washing/drying facilities.

We had no issues whatever and provided we are not travelling to both hot and cold areas (such as Toronto and then Florida next Easter), then we have set the die for all future vacations.

Don’t forget that I spent 11 years with Army and Royal Marines. I am used to carrying everything that I need on my back. That focuses you on what you really need, rather than what you might need and in fact, actually do not…. £100pp approximate saved on the longhauls and around £60pp on the regionals = £640 on every vacation between the four of us.. plus no pfaffing around in baggage reclaim! On that trip, the longest we spent going from airliner door to outside concourse was around 30 minutes.. and that included immigration/customs at Boston as we had the exit row seats next to the disembarkation door plus the row behind. The baggage reclaim belt hadn’t even started moving when we passed it.

There.. you can sell this idea to your DW and save hundreds!

By contrast, my rather high maintenance sister in law took 10 pairs of shoes on her 2019 10 nighter in Mexico. She/They always put two suitcases each in the hold! For Mexico, we could almost manage on one cabin bag between us, provided the Hotel had wash and dry facilities.

In conclusion, I guess that I simply have a marvellous, low maintenance wife who would sooner spend the saved money once we get there on vacation stuff!

2005 onwards.. lots of times!

Index of all my Trip and Pretrip reports..https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho...6#post15662196

Edited at 07:13 AM.
cornishfrogboy is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Oct 21, 07:16 AM  
Link to this Post
YorkshireT
Imagineer

Originally Posted by cornishfrogboy View Post
In 2019, we did Boston, NY, Dayton OH, Orlando, Naples, Miami on hand luggage only, over 3 weeks and with 2 internal flights, 2 car hires and a train, ( plus trains to and from Cornwall to the airport). 4 flights in all, so hold baggage would have hurt!

We simply wore our coats, long trousers/ Shoes/Bulkier stuff and used the pockets for camera, etc. We had around 7x Knickers and socks each and plenty of shorts, shirts, IPads etc. We took few toiletries (100ml max) and no towels.
We knew that Dayton was nights 5,6 and 7 , also that it had washers and driers. We simply got up and used the washing machine, moved it to the drier when we went to breakfast and it was dry by the time we were ready to go out, all folded in our suitcases to start again.

When we got to Orlando, it was one night on IDrive, one in the ROR and then 9 in a villa with adequate washing/drying facilities.

We had no issues whatever and provided we are not travelling to both hot and cold areas (such as Toronto and then Florida next Easter), then we have set the die for all future vacations.

Don’t forget that I spent 11 years with Army and Royal Marines. I am used to carrying everything that I need on my back. That focuses you on what you really need, rather than what you might need and in fact, actually do not…. £100pp approximate saved on the longhauls and around £60pp on the regionals = £640 on every vacation between the four of us.. plus no pfaffing around in baggage reclaim! On that trip, the longest we spent going from airliner door to outside concourse was around 30 minutes.. and that included immigration/customs at Boston as we had the exit row seats next to the disembarkation door plus the row behind. The baggage reclaim belt hadn’t even started moving when we passed it.

There.. you can sell this idea to your DW and save hundreds!

By contrast, my rather high maintenance sister in law took 10 pairs of shoes on her 2019 10 nighter in Mexico. She/They always put two suitcases each in the hold! For Mexico, we could almost manage on one cabin bag between us, provided the Hotel had wash and dry facilities.
Ha ha there’s no chance of selling this to Mrs YT Cornish. Telling her to take 7 pairs of knickers and forget the shoes, I’d be on a hiding to nothing. She insists on washers and dryers also throughout the trip (we book hotels only if at least one every few days has a washer dryer) as she likes to take a case full of clean clothes home. I agree though we end up taking at least twice what we need, and Mrs YT has 6 pairs of shoes. Even our toiletries and medicine bag wouldn’t fit in hand luggage.
Old 19 Oct 21, 07:29 AM  
Link to this Post
cornishfrogboy
VIP Dibber

Ha ha there’s no chance of selling this to Mrs YT Cornish. Telling her to take 7 pairs of knickers and forget the shoes, I’d be on a hiding to nothing. She insists on washers and dryers also throughout the trip (we book hotels only if at least one every few days has a washer dryer) as she likes to take a case full of clean clothes home. I agree though we end up taking at least twice what we need, and Mrs YT has 6 pairs of shoes. Even our toiletries and medicine bag wouldn’t fit in hand luggage.
You pays your money and takes your choice. Even for next Easter school hols I am sub £500 and regrettably that includes hold baggage. I would sooner have been sub £400 and travelling light. +2 degrees or so would have been an absolute breeze. I have bent spanner’s on Helicopters at -37 in Norway.

I am waiting to book into San Francisco and out of San Diego commencing around Oct 18 and for 16 nights flying Monday or Tuesday and returning Wednesday or Thursday. That will be just the two of us, hand-baggage only and also including San Luis Obispo- Vegas as well as Tucson (or Phoenix)- San Diego. I am very confident that our longhauls will be £400.99 return from LHR with BA from their own site and relatively confident that the two regionals will be with Southwest , sub £70 each.

With hold baggage? Add another £160= £320 for the two of us. There is no point at all as we will be in Shorts and Polo shirts with Reef flip flops in my case and Light dresses or shorts with Sandals (2 pairs!) in hers… throughout. We will wisely invest the £320 saved in certainly a Mustang Convertible to drive SFO- San Luis Obispo along the PCH … and possibly to drive Vegas- Hoover- Grand Canyon- Winslow- Tombstone- Tucson also, during phase 2. Hand baggage will fit nicely in the trunk (just about).

2005 onwards.. lots of times!

Index of all my Trip and Pretrip reports..https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho...6#post15662196

Edited at 07:34 AM.
cornishfrogboy is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Oct 21, 10:24 AM  
Link to this Post
megaflyer
Imagineer

I’m off to have a look for summer.

Edit- no good for us, Club adds 6k to the holiday over economy.
Shame - might be worth keeping an eye out tho
megaflyer is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Oct 21, 10:28 AM  
Link to this Post
megaflyer
Imagineer

LOL - be like Judith Chalmers and she didnt even pack knickers !

I dont travel light - even for 2 weeks I regularly take 3 cases (at 32kg) in the hold one of them being devoted to boots and shoes . I like to dress for supper and also change throughout the day as I am a sweaty Betty (and another one who sends his laundry for doing on last day so I pack mainly clean clothes going home ready to pop right back into dressing room)
megaflyer is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List