Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 17 Oct 21, 11:51 AM  
Link to this Post
megaflyer
Imagineer

I am lucky as I love both by birth name and adopted name but most people I (including family ) hated their names and made a point of being known as something different or changing them. I think its best not to overthink it as if they like it great if not they wont use it
megaflyer is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Oct 21, 11:54 AM  
Link to this Post
marlouwrig
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by EssexSue View Post
Times change too, I love the name Archie but you certainly would not have called a child that when I was naming mine.
My three grandsons names to me sound more like 3 old men in flat caps playing dominos in a pub, well 2 of them anyway, third one depends on Joe or Joseph.
I know exactly what you mean. When I wanted to call DD (born in 1982) Hannah, my Mother was horrified because it was a 'servant's name'. I just told her she must have been watching too much Upstairs Downstairs because she certainly didn't come from a family that had servants

Our latest grandchild, born this week is called Molly.

DVC Member BCV, BLT & VGC
marlouwrig is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Oct 21, 11:55 AM  
Link to this Post
JudgeJ26
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Princesa View Post
I wouldn’t be put off by names not being available on things, as most things can be easily personalised now. I’d hate to have a name that was constantly misspelled or mispronounced though. I’m a teacher and I dread reading some names from the register as I know I’m going to butcher the pronunciation. There are also some kids who are too quiet to tell you that it’s wrong too, so I’ve gone all year saying the wrong thing and don’t get told until parents’ evening.
There are some really funny videos on YouTube where a supply teacher deliberately mispronounces the students names from the register. It takes the students a little while to catch on😂😂😂.
JudgeJ26 is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Oct 21, 12:03 PM  
Link to this Post
megaflyer
Imagineer

Originally Posted by marlouwrig View Post
I know exactly what you mean. When I wanted to call DD (born in 1982) Hannah, my Mother was horrified because it was a 'servant's name'. I just told her she must have been watching too much Upstairs Downstairs because she certainly didn't come from a family that had servants

Our latest grandchild, born this week is called Molly.
Hannah and Molly are lovey names

NB My parents always told us f emale servants and were traditionally named after flowers (Daisy , Ivy, Rose) so Hannah is a save bet
megaflyer is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Oct 21, 12:12 PM  
Link to this Post
Sue
Imagineer

Sue's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 3
Restaurant Reviews: 17
Personally I’m not a fan of Endeavour - would lead to inevitable comparisons with the TV character?
It’s got to be YOUR choice though, do bear in mind that what you are keen on now, may not feel right in a couple of years, don’t be fixed on anything would be my thoughts.

As someone who was only given one name, I’m a fan of always giving two - one traditional and one a bit different. Then the child will always have a choice for their preference.

”Science is the belief in the ignorance of experts” - Richard Feynman. Theoretical Physicist

7th Magical Trip - August /September 2008. FOOD & TRIP REPORTS

Route 66 and all that TRIP REPORTS
Sue is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Oct 21, 12:14 PM  
Link to this Post
EssexSue
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by megaflyer View Post
Hannah and Molly are lovey names

NB My parents always told us f emale servants and were traditionally named after flowers (Daisy , Ivy, Rose) so Hannah is a save bet
I love flower names. So did employees change the girls names? My great grandma was Daisy but she was certainly not a servant. I also have a granddaughter Daisy, love the name being reused that like that

My youngest granddaughter is Martha which took some getting used to but she is such a personality she owns it.

Edited at 12:21 PM.
EssexSue is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Oct 21, 12:19 PM  
Link to this Post
arielrocks
VIP Dibber

My ‘Sadie’ ended up being Lily because everyone moaned about Sadie. So I let my husband name her as I named our son, George.

But I have never once called her lily, she’s always been Lil to me.
arielrocks is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Oct 21, 12:24 PM  
Link to this Post
Macca04
Imagineer

Three of my grandchildren are inadvertently named after their great great uncles and aunt. Arthur, George and Alice. Alice has the middle name Ivy who was also a great aunt.

My two sons were certainly in tune with their great Nan when it came to names.
Macca04 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Oct 21, 12:25 PM  
Link to this Post
duchy
Imagineer

I’m surprised we haven’t had a Dibbette yet !

My Dad absolutely hated my son’s name , no one could understand why , Joshua was pretty tame (and both me and my brother also have Old Testament names too ) . He got over it !
duchy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Oct 21, 12:28 PM  
Link to this Post
hexagon
VIP Dibber

hexagon's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 12
Haha, thanks guys.

Yeah I don’t want to be fixed on names, but I’ve thought about these names for a few years, even though I haven’t been too keen on a potential baby for that long lol. I was always too scared I wouldn’t cope but I’m doing better now so my confidence has come back.
hexagon is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List