Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 22 Oct 21, 08:02 AM  
Link to this Post
eeyoremad32
Trainee Dibber

Weight loss surgery

Hi i was wondering if anyone has had bariatric surgery recently that could give me some information of what to
expect, i've been under the icos team for nearly two year & finally have my appointment (5th november) to disgust which surgery would be best for me & i've been advised to get as much information as possible on all three types of procedures (so band sleeve & bypass) x
eeyoremad32 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Oct 21, 11:24 AM  
Link to this Post
lardyboy
Getting Excited

I've not actually had bariatric surgery myself, but I paid for my wife to have a gastric band fitted several years ago.

The initial pre-surgery diet was successful and without it surgery is not possible. Post surgery the problems were many. The first month she was only able to drink fluids and nothing too thick, tomato soup was a luxury. Second month it was partially liquidised food, mashed potato and lots of gravy, pea and ham soup, milkshakes. Once this was over then she had a high protein, low carb diet and regular monitoring of the band's performance and tightening of the band. She lost several stone by sticking to the rules.

All good, but it's the issues of her mental condition that have given her issues. She struggled to not fill a plate and empty it (down to treatment as a child by her mother) This would regularly see her being very sick and losing everything she had managed to eat. Eating too quickly and not chewing enough - food would get stuck, too large to go through the band easily - lots more throwing up (another result of motherly 'love'). Eating the wrong food - fried rice, a couple of small mothfuls swelled up and made her feel like she was going to have to go to hospital, followed eventually by throwing up, very painfully.

She has managed to quieten some of her eating demons and has now lost over half her body weight and is at a healthy and maintainable weight.

While I'm sure that you won't have the same mental issues as my wife some of the problems will be the same. Here's my advice as someone supporting a bareatric surgery patient;

1) Listen to the dietician/nutritionist. She is well paid to advise on things she absolutely knows about. Not listening will give you problems

2) Small plates - if you think your portion is too small, put it on a side plate and it'll fool your brain and make you less likely to overeat

3) No finger food - use a knife and small fork (means you'll be less likely to put too big a mouthful in). Finger food tends to be eaten too quickly

4) Put your cutlery down between bites - chew everything very thoroughly, until it has almost no texture. Don't pick them up again until you have completely swallowed. Not doing this will lead to filling your fork before you have finished chewing, leading to swallowing early. Keep doing this and you'll end up eating quicker and this tends towards barely chewed food getting stuck and the inevitable throwing up.

I don't want to make it sound like a horror story, DW is now ten years older than she was told she would make if she didn't lose weight. SHe enjoys life and smaller portions of delicious food, with lots of food completely off limits (fried rice, wraps, fluffy bread).It is definitely worth it, and if you can stick to the rules one of the best ways to lose and manage your weight, it's also the least likely to reverse itself by stretching.

Hope this frank description hasn't put you off. It's hard work and you will need lots of support by you can do it.
lardyboy is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Oct 21, 03:28 PM  
Link to this Post
eeyoremad32
Trainee Dibber

Hi Lardyboy

Thank you for your very open & honest description of how weight loss surgery has been for your wife, it has put me off at all i really wanted someone to not just sugar coat it and i understand it could be a long hard struggle and not some kinda of magic cure but i feel i need to make some big changes to my life choices (which i have been trying for past 2years) and my offer of surgery is a great opportunity for me to be healthier and have the confidence to do the things i've been putting off for to long x
eeyoremad32 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Oct 21, 09:55 PM  
Link to this Post
Loopylooloo
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by eeyoremad32 View Post
Hi i was wondering if anyone has had bariatric surgery recently that could give me some information of what to
expect, i've been under the icos team for nearly two year & finally have my appointment (5th november) to disgust which surgery would be best for me & i've been advised to get as much information as possible on all three types of procedures (so band sleeve & bypass) x
My mum saw a top consultant and was advised to have the bypass, by no means an easy fix, and she has to be very aware of certain things now, (vitamin deficiency, and sometimes needing to be near the toilet at short notice) but she lost 10 stone from 20 stone. It saved her life no question. There are support groups online I believe or I can put you in touch with my mum x

Our trip reports -
1st trip to Florida - April 2014 - 'Are we nearly Bankrupt yet?!'
The Kuna Mahuna Croatia Holiday 2016
Bankrupt again Florida 2017
New York & RCL Anthem of Seas 2018
https://dibb.in/13476718
And now it’s time for Wine Wine Wine! Rome + Celebrity Cruise May 2022
https://dibb.in/15427816

Edited at 08:20 AM.
Loopylooloo is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Oct 21, 10:45 PM  
Link to this Post
Bolto6
Imagineer

My mum had full bypass surgery in 2018 (I think, could have been 2019,) her procedure was 2nd Jan, so had to go through Christmas on the pre-surgery diet. So be aware of dates and try to avoid any time you might have an event coming up.

Post surgery similar to what Lardyboy has said. She can now eat pretty much anything, but she’ll choose a side salad rather than chips when going out for dinner (and nick a few chips from dad.) At home both parents now eat off small plates, I think my dad does it more for support than anything.

She also needs to have a Vit B12 injection every 8 weeks. They started at 12 weeks, but 8 is the minimum they can go to.

What they don’t tell you is the surgery you need afterwards. My mum got her boobs done in Feb 2020 and then had a tummy tuck in Dec 2020, because while she got the bariatric surgery on the NHS, they won’t deal with the cosmetic surgery needed afterwards.

My mum has lost about 7-8 stone in total, and gone from a 22 to a 12-14.
2026 - maybe...

Edited at 10:47 PM.
Bolto6 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Oct 21, 06:28 AM  
Link to this Post
Princesses 3
Very Serious Dibber

My niece had a gastric sleeve a few months ago. She said it’s the hardest thing she’s ever done but has lost over 4 stone and is really happy. She didn’t have a good diet prior to surgery and I always felt this was more being picky and refusing to even try healthier foods - she eats a much more healthy and varied diet now.

There were some real hard times for her eg when her hair started to fall out (soon stopped though) and similar to issues described above.

She is super happy and says it was 100% the right thing to do but even with counselling and support she admits it was harder than she’d thought
Princesses 3 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Oct 21, 11:19 AM  
Link to this Post
NewtoOrlando
VIP Dibber

NewtoOrlando's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
I have been on the waiting list for a gastric bypass for 2 years, and finally got my date for surgery this week.

It's not been an easy decision to make, and I have toyed with my demons back and forth for the last few years but I am finally happy with my decision. I know the process isn't going to be an easy one, but, it's something I know I need to do to enable me to have a better life going forwards, for my kids, my husband, my health but most importantly, for me.

I know life will never be the same, my relationship with food will never be the same, but, I'm hoping that once I have had the surgery, lost my weight and got to grips with my new stomach and my new way of life, I will be having too much fun enjoying life with my family to worry about eating 20 chicken wings.

Please feel free to DM me if you have any questions or just a chat!

Miami/CBR/RPR/Bahama Bay Aug 16
Deerfield Beach/HRH/POFQ/Contemporary/Westridge - Aug 18
New York - Westin Grand Central - Nov 18
Disneyland Paris - Hotel Cheyenne - Dec 18
All Star Sport/POFQ/Aylesbury Villa/Deerfield Beach - Oct 19
Miami/Hard Rock hotel/Pop Century/Legacy Park Dibb Villa - Aug 2022

Saratoga Springs/Rosen Plaza - Dec 2024
NewtoOrlando is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Oct 21, 08:38 PM  
Link to this Post
Loopylooloo
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by NewtoOrlando View Post
I have been on the waiting list for a gastric bypass for 2 years, and finally got my date for surgery this week.

It's not been an easy decision to make, and I have toyed with my demons back and forth for the last few years but I am finally happy with my decision. I know the process isn't going to be an easy one, but, it's something I know I need to do to enable me to have a better life going forwards, for my kids, my husband, my health but most importantly, for me.

I know life will never be the same, my relationship with food will never be the same, but, I'm hoping that once I have had the surgery, lost my weight and got to grips with my new stomach and my new way of life, I will be having too much fun enjoying life with my family to worry about eating 20 chicken wings.

Please feel free to DM me if you have any questions or just a chat!
I can honestly tell you that my mum has never looked back, despite it being challenging at times, she has a whole new lease of life and just radiates happiness, and energy! Good luck for your treatment.

Our trip reports -
Loopylooloo is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Oct 21, 07:30 AM  
Link to this Post
Loopylooloo
VIP Dibber

I saw this on BBC this morning and thought it might be useful

bbc/news/av/uk-58989946

Our trip reports -
Old 25 Oct 21, 08:39 AM  
Link to this Post
lardyboy
Getting Excited

Originally Posted by eeyoremad32 View Post
Hi Lardyboy

Thank you for your very open & honest description of how weight loss surgery has been for your wife, it has put me off at all i really wanted someone to not just sugar coat it and i understand it could be a long hard struggle and not some kinda of magic cure but i feel i need to make some big changes to my life choices (which i have been trying for past 2years) and my offer of surgery is a great opportunity for me to be healthier and have the confidence to do the things i've been putting off for to long x
I'm so glad that it hasn't put you off. I was actually having second thoughts about posting as it was a really trying time for both of us, but DW would definitely agree that it was the best thing she ever did.

It will be hard, you will wish you had never done it, there will be tears but when you finally lose enough weight to feel like it's made a big difference, you'll wonder why you didn't do it before.

I wish you all the luck in the world and if you ever feel down and wonder what you're doing, feel free to drop me a line, I'll be happy to give you any support I can

Lardy
lardyboy is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List