Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 26 Oct 21, 03:08 PM  
Link to this Post
Mazbar
Imagineer

Mazbar's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 6
Have they stopped teaching engine braking

I was following someone today and every single bend in the road on came the brake light. I was taught engine braking when I was leaning many years ago, simply taking my foot off the accelerator and letting the car slow down on its own. I was told it helps save fuel by not turning momentum into heat. Maybe I’m wrong, but do any of the dinosaurs out there remember being taught this as well.
Mazbar is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Oct 21, 03:11 PM  
Link to this Post
darbs
Imagineer

Mobile

Yes I was taught this and told it would reduce the wear and tear on the brakes! My son is doing driving lessons at the moment I will ask him what he has been taught!
darbs is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Oct 21, 03:15 PM  
Link to this Post
Mr Tom Morrow
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 3
I was taught this. Also I was taught never to slow the car down by dropping a gear as it's cheaper to replace brakes than a clutch.

I use the cruise control to slow down, just keep dropping it to suit the road.

"PAGING MR MORROW, MR TOM MORROW..."

''I drink Wine and know things''

DVC Owners at SSR since 2003.
Multiple annual visits to America since 1976
Mr Tom Morrow is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Oct 21, 03:22 PM  
Link to this Post
YorkshireT
Imagineer

‘Engine braking’ or more accurately ‘recharge braking’ is a given on electric cars, I hardly touch the brakes and when I do it’s only at sub 10mph usually to bring it to a total stop. This is why electric vehicle brakes will last 100,000 miles + . So soon everyone will learn the art of engine braking again so to speak.
Old 26 Oct 21, 03:27 PM  
Link to this Post
Bondy007
Imagineer

I barely use my brakes at all, I find drifting round bends more fun!
But seriously, thought everyone knew how to naturally slow down to avoid over use of brakes! I’m sure I was taught to ease off the accelerator and shift down the gears appropriate to the speed your doing.
Old 26 Oct 21, 04:04 PM  
Link to this Post
Pino_Spetzberg
Imagineer

Watched an item on TV about HGV driving.
One of the points made was that EU rules, or something, no longer requires secondary brake air lines for trucks, artics, have just the one now.
Mentioned in passing that changing down for downhill gradients and corners no longer taught.
Relying on your brakes instead saves fuel and emissions.
Old school HGV drivers insist slowing through gears takes heat out of brakes, and in the event of failure or emergency braking you have more chance of stopping.
We were always taught to match gears with engine speed through bends and approaching junctions, downhills etc.
Modern cars often have autos now so, like trucks, they will probably drop down a gear for you.
My wife's car changes up and down gears at exactly the same points on our route to town.

Young people don't seem to change down gears any more for down hills, or corners.
Pino_Spetzberg is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Oct 21, 04:16 PM  
Link to this Post
Mr Tom Morrow
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 3
I suspect they don't teach double declutching nowadays as modern cars don't need it. We did in the 60's and early 70's!

"PAGING MR MORROW, MR TOM MORROW..."

''I drink Wine and know things''

DVC Owners at SSR since 2003.
Multiple annual visits to America since 1976
Mr Tom Morrow is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Oct 21, 04:22 PM  
Link to this Post
Loulou127
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Mr Tom Morrow View Post
I suspect they don't teach double declutching nowadays as modern cars don't need it. We did in the 60's and early 70's!
I miss the choke to hang my handbag from 😂😂😂
Loulou127 is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Oct 21, 04:31 PM  
Link to this Post
Mazbar
Imagineer

Mazbar's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 6
I taught my daughter to read the road ahead, when approaching a bend judge when to take your foot off the accelerator to reduce your speed to one that is appropriate for that bend if you know the road but if you don’t always be ready for the unexpected. Reduce your speed before the bend or corner and accelerate through the corner try not to break on a bend or corner.
Mazbar is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Oct 21, 04:31 PM  
Link to this Post
FloridaFairy
Apprentice Imagineer

Originally Posted by Mr Tom Morrow View Post
Oh my days haven’t heard that in years…can remember my dad saying that …I used to giggle …..he used to yell at me if I ‘slipped the clutch’! could never see the problem until my dd does it sometimes ….

Electric cars kind of creep me out as there’s ‘no noise’ just a hum….. I learned to drive by listening to the engine as well as the ‘feel’ ..
FloridaFairy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List