Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 26 Oct 21, 04:51 PM  
Link to this Post
Johnnyp
Imagineer

Johnnyp's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 8
Originally Posted by Pino_Spetzberg View Post
Watched an item on TV about HGV driving.
One of the points made was that EU rules, or something, no longer requires secondary brake air lines for trucks, artics, have just the one now.
Mentioned in passing that changing down for downhill gradients and corners no longer taught.
Relying on your brakes instead saves fuel and emissions.
Old school HGV drivers insist slowing through gears takes heat out of brakes, and in the event of failure or emergency braking you have more chance of stopping.
We were always taught to match gears with engine speed through bends and approaching junctions, downhills etc.
Modern cars often have autos now so, like trucks, they will probably drop down a gear for you.
My wife's car changes up and down gears at exactly the same points on our route to town.

Young people don't seem to change down gears any more for down hills, or corners.
I use the exhaust brake on my hgv to slow down where appropriate, although some units are more keen than others to introduce you to the windscreen when on max setting 😄
Johnnyp is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Oct 21, 05:56 PM  
Link to this Post
7SeasSailor
Imagineer

Interesting subject. My instructor told me to always use the brakes so that the driver behind me would see my brake lights which would signal my intentions.
Old 26 Oct 21, 07:11 PM  
Link to this Post
duncanb
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Bondy007 View Post
I barely use my brakes at all, I find drifting round bends more fun!
But seriously, thought everyone knew how to naturally slow down to avoid over use of brakes! I’m sure I was taught to ease off the accelerator and shift down the gears appropriate to the speed your doing.
Power slide for me opposite lock at the ready and smash the loud pedal. 🤪
Old 26 Oct 21, 07:12 PM  
Link to this Post
signtalker
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Mr Tom Morrow View Post
I suspect they don't teach double declutching nowadays as modern cars don't need it. We did in the 60's and early 70's!

I was taught this , when I took my advance driving test in the police force , took awhile to get used to it lol

Jules
signtalker is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Oct 21, 07:31 PM  
Link to this Post
DrMagical
Excited about Disney

My car, electric, the brake lights will come on as I lift off the accelerator. Probably used the brake pedal 3-4 times in last 6000 miles!
DrMagical is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Oct 21, 09:45 AM  
Link to this Post
scotgirl
VIP Dibber

scotgirl's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 1
I have a hybrid and find that I need to brake - simply lifting my foot off the accelerator doesn't work. My car seems to want to just go! Also braking charges the battery.
Old 27 Oct 21, 02:41 PM  
Link to this Post
gjdjud
GEORGE

gjdjud's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 3
Restaurant Reviews: 26
As an instructor myself engine braking is good practice in lots of situations but it doesn't allow for the idiot behind you that doesn't know what's going on! Brake lights are a massively important indicator. Checking brake lights is one of the show me tell me questions you could potentially get asked at the beginning of your test.
gjdjud is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Oct 21, 03:54 PM  
Link to this Post
Mo&Chris
VIP Dibber

This was a discussion my dad and I had when I was learning to drive over 20 years ago, so it's not new!

I always say my instructor taught me to pass my test, my dad taught me to drive!

/Mo
Mo&Chris is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Oct 21, 05:26 PM  
Link to this Post
levtweeney
Imagineer

levtweeney's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
I miss the guy in front with the big red flag telling people you were there.

Old 30 Oct 21, 08:41 PM  
Link to this Post
kk20
Imagineer

Originally Posted by YorkshireT View Post
‘Engine braking’ or more accurately ‘recharge braking’ is a given on electric cars, I hardly touch the brakes and when I do it’s only at sub 10mph usually to bring it to a total stop. This is why electric vehicle brakes will last 100,000 miles + . So soon everyone will learn the art of engine braking again so to speak.
Electric cars are effectively automatics so you cant avoid using the brake pedal to brake.
kk20 is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List