Notices
General Trip Planning Other Holiday Planning.

Old 12 Aug 18, 07:05 AM  
Link to this Post
Disneymaddaddy
VIP Dibber

Nashville, Memphis & Smoky Mountains

Hi all,

We are off on our holiday on Friday we have 2 nights in Nashville and 2 nights in Memphis before 10 days in our Cabin in the Smokies (Severville)

Has anyone done a hire car pick up in Nashville we are using Dollar and wondered if it the same as Orlando where you choose any car in the lot for the size you have booked?

Also any little gems that you have come across on your trips there that you can share?

WDW Visited in 1992, 1995, 1997, 1998, 2004, 2005, 2007, 2008, 2010, 2011, 2013

Edited at 07:56 AM.
Disneymaddaddy is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Aug 18, 07:46 AM  
Link to this Post
paulaandhappy
Very Serious Dibber

We stayed in Pigeon Forge for 2 weeks a couple of years ago and had a great time there best holiday ever!
Visited the Dolly statue in Seiverville nearby is a place called courthouse donuts where the put your choice of toppings in ur donut of choice they were lovely.
There is a bbq place called Corkys in Pigeon Forge we went there 1st night food great and best strawberry lemonade we ever had.
Cadets cove is great we saw a few bears there lots of cute little cabins and churches to look around.
We drove over to Cherokee for a couple of nights to do Smoky Mountain railroad was a lovely drive through the mountains stopped at Clingmans dome on way back.
Roaring fork motor trail at Gatlinburg loads of other things as well.
We did a trip report in reporter app.
You will have a fab time the people are so friendly and the service is so much better than Orlando as they don’t get nearly as many brits going there.
:pop:June 06 Imperial swan, Aug 07 Hampton Inn Pointe Orlando, Aug 08 Crowne Plaza Universal, Feb 09Fairfield Inn & Suites Int Dr,Nov 09 Extended Stay Deluxe Orlando Convention Centre Universal Boulevard, Sept 10 Homewood Suites Sept 11 Extended Stay Deluxe Universal BoulevardFeb 12 Homewood Suites Int DriveFeb 13 Comfort Inn & Suites Canada Ave Feb 2014 Rosen Inn Pointe Orlando Aug 2014 Enclave Suites Feb 2016 Comfort Inn and Suites Canada Ave April 2017 AllStars Music&Staysky Suites
paulaandhappy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Aug 18, 09:44 AM  
Link to this Post
Pumpkin Pie
Imagineer

If you like parrots visit Parrot Mountain at Pidgeon Forge. Its on the land next to Dollywood. Most of the birds are outside cages.

There is also a Christmas hotel which is worth a look. We walked around the lobby - it’s Christmas themed all year round. Wouldn’t call it a gem but it is over the top in its decor!

Edit: if you are anywhere near Asheville, NC I strongly suggest you visit Biltmore Estate. The house and gardens are magnificent - it’s a great day out. If you go look out for the humming birds in the gardens.

Edited at 11:51 AM.
Pumpkin Pie is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Aug 18, 11:47 AM  
Link to this Post
orlandosgr8
Imagineer

orlandosgr8's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 1
We visited the Smoky mountains for a week 4 years ago and had a fabulous time. We went zip lining with ClimbWorks which was fantastic and rafting with Smoky Mountain Outdoors, from memory this took about 45 minutes to get to. A nice walk we did was the Noah Bud trail and we did the drive through Cades Cove and saw bears. One evening we did the Dixie Stampede which was fun. Have a fabulous time I can't wait to go back there again one day.

Orlando 02,04,06,07,08,10,11,12,13,14,16, 18 &
New York 06, 11 and Smoky Mountains 14
orlandosgr8 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Aug 18, 11:50 AM  
Link to this Post
CrispyA
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Disneymaddaddy View Post
Hi all,

We are off on our holiday on Friday we have 2 nights in Nashville and 2 nights in Memphis before 10 days in our Cabin in the Smokies (Severville)

Has anyone done a hire car pick up in Nashville we are using Dollar and wondered if it the same as Orlando where you choose any car in the lot for the size you have booked?

Also any little gems that you have come across on your trips there that you can share?
Have a wonderful time! We did a road trip around Tennessee last year - my report is in my signature if you want any ideas/information. We picked up our car in Nashville - can’t remember now who it was with but we were assigned a specific car. It turned out to be too small but the desk in the car park were really helpful and changed it for us. I remember the desk staff trying to get us to sign up for extra insurance without even telling us so have your wits about you!

Make sure to try Gus’ Fried chicken in Memphis and also the Flying Fish. In Nashville, try the Station Inn for live music (not on Broadway) and on Broadway make sure to go to Roberts Western World which has great musicians. Mas Tacos in East Nashville is worth a trip for food.
CrispyA is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Aug 18, 06:52 PM  
Link to this Post
Disneymaddaddy
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by paulaandhappy View Post

We stayed in Pigeon Forge for 2 weeks a couple of years ago and had a great time there best holiday ever!
Visited the Dolly statue in Seiverville nearby is a place called courthouse donuts where the put your choice of toppings in ur donut of choice they were lovely.
There is a bbq place called Corkys in Pigeon Forge we went there 1st night food great and best strawberry lemonade we ever had.
Cadets cove is great we saw a few bears there lots of cute little cabins and churches to look around.
We drove over to Cherokee for a couple of nights to do Smoky Mountain railroad was a lovely drive through the mountains stopped at Clingmans dome on way back.
Roaring fork motor trail at Gatlinburg loads of other things as well.
We did a trip report in reporter app.
You will have a fab time the people are so friendly and the service is so much better than Orlando as they don’t get nearly as many brits going there.
Thanks for the tips will try out corkys for definite! Looking forward to lots of lovely food and will certainly try the strawberry lemonade!

Disneymaddaddy is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Aug 18, 06:54 PM  
Link to this Post
Disneymaddaddy
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by Pumpkin Pie View Post
If you like parrots visit Parrot Mountain at Pidgeon Forge. Its on the land next to Dollywood. Most of the birds are outside cages.

There is also a Christmas hotel which is worth a look. We walked around the lobby - it’s Christmas themed all year round. Wouldn’t call it a gem but it is over the top in its decor!

Edit: if you are anywhere near Asheville, NC I strongly suggest you visit Biltmore Estate. The house and gardens are magnificent - it’s a great day out. If you go look out for the humming birds in the gardens.
We plan to go to Dollywood so we look look out for the parrot mountain place.

I think I I read about the Christmas hotel online somewhere and will love a look around.

Not sure if we will be near NC but I’ve made a note in my trusty notebook

Thanks!

Old 12 Aug 18, 06:56 PM  
Link to this Post
Disneymaddaddy
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by orlandosgr8 View Post
We visited the Smoky mountains for a week 4 years ago and had a fabulous time. We went zip lining with ClimbWorks which was fantastic and rafting with Smoky Mountain Outdoors, from memory this took about 45 minutes to get to. A nice walk we did was the Noah Bud trail and we did the drive through Cades Cove and saw bears. One evening we did the Dixie Stampede which was fun. Have a fabulous time I can't wait to go back there again one day.
We are looking to donraftibg as well so will check that out!

Want to go to cades cove for sure and hopefully we will see some bears but from a distance!

I’ve read mixed reviews about Dixie stamped so not sure whether to do that!

Thanks,

Old 12 Aug 18, 06:58 PM  
Link to this Post
Disneymaddaddy
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by CrispyA View Post
Have a wonderful time! We did a road trip around Tennessee last year - my report is in my signature if you want any ideas/information. We picked up our car in Nashville - can’t remember now who it was with but we were assigned a specific car. It turned out to be too small but the desk in the car park were really helpful and changed it for us. I remember the desk staff trying to get us to sign up for extra insurance without even telling us so have your wits about you!

Make sure to try Gus’ Fried chicken in Memphis and also the Flying Fish. In Nashville, try the Station Inn for live music (not on Broadway) and on Broadway make sure to go to Roberts Western World which has great musicians. Mas Tacos in East Nashville is worth a trip for food.
Thank you will take a look at your trip report.

Oh gosh I hope we don’t get stung for extra charges so will make sure that we just keep saying no.

Gus’ and flying fish are added to my notebook

Thanks

Old 14 Aug 18, 05:31 PM  
Link to this Post
Olympiad
slightly serious Dibber

Mobile

Hi - definitely do Cades Cove but worth knowing that it gets very busy with frequent 'bear jams'. Usual advice is to go as early as possible. We went on 4th Aug and did it around 3pm which was ok and took a couple of hours (pretty much just the drive with no stop offs) but spoke to someone who did it earlier the same day and took over 6 hours. We saw 4 bears though, although our closest bear encounters were elsewhere - a cub literally on the roadside and a young bear in the garden of our cabin.
Olympiad is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List