Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 22 Sep 19, 08:14 AM  
Link to this Post
Floridatilly
Imagineer

Mobile Stairs

At some point before Christmas we are doing our bedroom, youngest sons bedroom, stairs and landing. I don’t want to rush into anything until I am certain what I want.
Currently we have carpet on the stairs (grey striped). We seem to change stair carpets more often than anywhere else due to the sheer traffic going up & down lol we also have white painted spindles which I do like but again with the constant use they regularly need sanding down, priming and repainted.
We are considering having wooden stairs, maybe oak and glass instead of spindles with a oak handrail.
But all our doors are white, decoration around the house is white & grey. Flooring downstairs is large gloss pale grey tiles. So I am not sure oak will match.
Carpet & painted spindles is the cheapest option but I will want it re doing after a couple of years. Our hall is the first thing you see as you walk in our house and I like to have a nice welcome lol
What do you have on your stairs?
Do you like it?
What spindles/hand rail do you have?

Just to add, I am not concerned about cleaning the glass if we replace the spindles. We have a hand karcher window cleaner, it’s so easy, so fast and rather fun lol
Floridatilly is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Sep 19, 08:34 AM  
Link to this Post
smithlane
VIP Dibber

Mobile

I have no ideas but very interested as also looking to do the stairs and landing after decorating ours and the kids’ bedrooms. I love the look of the oak and glass bannisters but we have oak flooring downstairs and worried it will look too ‘woody’!

IG - alicialanesmith
smithlane is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Sep 19, 01:30 PM  
Link to this Post
mason1
Imagineer

mason1's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 2
DIBB Villa Reviews: 3
We have carpet on our stairs. Growing up, my parents had open tread wooden stairs. They looked really good, but the amount of times I fell down them has put me off wooden stairs for life!
Old 22 Sep 19, 01:31 PM  
Link to this Post
mitch84
Imagineer

mitch84's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 8
Mobile

Can’t you just touch up your spindles, why do they need re-sanding?
Old 22 Sep 19, 01:36 PM  
Link to this Post
borntoshop
Imagineer

Mobile

We have laminate in the hall, cream carpet in stairs. Years ago we stripped the banister, posts and had new spindles. They were waxed at the time and have never needed re-doing.
Nov/Dec 03-Orlando Villa/DLP Sept 04-Greece Nov/Dec 05-Orlando Villa 2007-New Hampshire ski-ing Orlando BWL & Villa 25 Dec 08 Florida New York 2010 New Hampshire 2011 New Hampshire 2012 Florida 2013 North Conway Christmas 2014
borntoshop is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Sep 19, 02:48 PM  
Link to this Post
Colette-S
Bon viveur and shopaholic

Colette-S's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Funny enough I saw this staircase this morning and really liked it but not sure if it’s a bit “cold”
Colette-S is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Sep 19, 03:40 PM  
Link to this Post
windsor_hills
Dibbing with Tink

We decorated our stairs, hall and landing a little earlier this year. We had beige wallpaper and white spindle staircase, with beige stair carpet and a darker wood floor in the hall.

It was ok when it was first done I suppose, but nine years later looked dingy and old fashioned. In hindsight they were not the best colour choices for a hall that only has the tiniest bit of natural light from the front door. However, we had had cream stripes and cream carpet before that and the kids totally ruined that so deliberately went for something darker.

Anyway, so earlier this year we swapped the staircase for an oak and glass one, and went for lighter wallpaper and grey carpet, and we still have white doors.

We didn’t change the hallway floor, but I wish we would have now.

We still need to pop some paintings on the walls, and we are going for some modern abstract art with a pop of colour to brighten the space up a bit, even though we like the neutral backdrop more now.

Anyway...here are some pics. Might help you in your dilemma about putting white, grey and oak together one way or another.

Good luck

Before...

After (but not quite finished).

windsor_hills is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Sep 19, 05:10 PM  
Link to this Post
darbs
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by windsor_hills View Post
We decorated our stairs, hall and landing a little earlier this year. We had beige wallpaper and white spindle staircase, with beige stair carpet and a darker wood floor in the hall.

It was ok when it was first done I suppose, but nine years later looked dingy and old fashioned. In hindsight they were not the best colour choices for a hall that only has the tiniest bit of natural light from the front door. However, we had had cream stripes and cream carpet before that and the kids totally ruined that so deliberately went for something darker.

Anyway, so earlier this year we swapped the staircase for an oak and glass one, and went for lighter wallpaper and grey carpet, and we still have white doors.

We didn’t change the hallway floor, but I wish we would have now.

We still need to pop some paintings on the walls, and we are going for some modern abstract art with a pop of colour to brighten the space up a bit, even though we like the neutral backdrop more now.

Anyway...here are some pics. Might help you in your dilemma about putting white, grey and oak together one way or another.

Good luck

Before...

After (but not quite finished).

This looks lovely, did a company fit it or a joiner?
darbs is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Sep 19, 05:54 PM  
Link to this Post
windsor_hills
Dibbing with Tink

Originally Posted by darbs View Post
This looks lovely, did a company fit it or a joiner?
Thank you. DH dismantled the old stairs and clad the posts from a kit we bought on line. His mate who is a joiner helped him attach the handrail, and a local glass company measured the glass and fitted it for us.
windsor_hills is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Sep 19, 06:17 PM  
Link to this Post
Floridatilly
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by mitch84 View Post
Can’t you just touch up your spindles, why do they need re-sanding?
He won’t re sand them down to the wood. Just sand them to remove the top layer of paint so that it’s an even surface then undercoat and ten paint.
My husband is such a perfectionist it’s ridiculous lol
Floridatilly is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List