Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 8 Oct 19, 09:43 PM  
Link to this Post
cheekydeeky
VIP Dibber

Staircase decoration Update page 3

We are finally getting the staircase decorated .

The plasters were in at the weekend skimming the walls - I took the pic when they had just finished but it’s all nearly pale pink now. Joiner is booked in mid October to replace the skirting (not sure what the correct term for the bits up the side of the stairs is), bannister and balustrade. All woodwork will be painted white.

I’m thinking I want a pale grey paint - polished pebble, goose down and chic shadow are all contenders although I think chic shadow maybe too dark ?

I’m thinking a pale grey/silver carpet.

The issue is that there is no natural light other than what comes in from the two doors at the bottom (both half glass and into bright and airy south facing rooms). I had thought about a light tunnel but we ruled it out.

Will grey be too cold? There’s a light at both the bottom and top of the stairs and I’m thinking about matching lights - something like the multi pendant in the pic but it can’t hang down too much as we don’t have the height at the bottom of the stairs.

Edited at 09:43 PM. Reason: Updating
cheekydeeky is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Oct 19, 09:56 PM  
Link to this Post
mickeyspal
Imagineer

Mobile

We have polished pebble and a dark grey carpet in our hall and stairs . Doesn't look cold at all
mickeyspal is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Oct 19, 10:17 PM  
Link to this Post
cheekydeeky
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by mickeyspal View Post
We have polished pebble and a dark grey carpet in our hall and stairs . Doesn't look cold at all
Thanks, do you have a pic? My concern is that we have no natural light
cheekydeeky is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Oct 19, 10:39 PM  
Link to this Post
Rebelrebel
Imagineer

Goose down can be a little dark I have it in a room with a lot of light (just a small area) and wished I'd got polished pebble which DD has and is lighter.

Edited at 10:32 AM.
Rebelrebel is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Oct 19, 06:51 AM  
Link to this Post
windsor_hills
Imagineer

Our stairs layout looks a little bit like yours. We only have natural light from the glass in the front door, so our hallway and stairs in particular is very dark. We previously had a cream hallway, then went beige/orange and it made the space even darker. Often meaning we had to put the lights on. We’ve now gone to a very very pale silver and almost white, and the space is much brighter.

We have gone for spot lights on the landing, a pendant on the stairs and then a light fitting in the hallway that matches the pendant. Have attached pictures below to try and help.

Good luck with whatever you choose.

Before

After

windsor_hills is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Oct 19, 07:11 AM  
Link to this Post
ClaireNJ
Imagineer

Love the lights
ClaireNJ is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Oct 19, 10:03 AM  
Link to this Post
Momofboys
Imagineer

Momofboys's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Ours is similar too, previous owners had lilac ragwash on walls and dark carpet.

We chickened out and went for cream, it was just as grey was taking over though and we were worried about it looking cold as the lilac did.

The light at the top is from the bathroom so only when the door is open!

Old 9 Oct 19, 10:40 AM  
Link to this Post
galaxy101
Getting Excited

Originally Posted by windsor_hills View Post
Our stairs layout looks a little bit like yours. We only have natural light from the glass in the front door, so our hallway and stairs in particular is very dark. We previously had a cream hallway, then went beige/orange and it made the space even darker. Often meaning we had to put the lights on. We’ve now gone to a very very pale silver and almost white, and the space is much brighter.

We have gone for spot lights on the landing, a pendant on the stairs and then a light fitting in the hallway that matches the pendant. Have attached pictures below to try and help.

Before

After

I love the glass banister, Im busy doing up a property that I am going to move into I really would like this in my house thanks for the inspiration x
Old 9 Oct 19, 11:10 AM  
Link to this Post
scoobydooby
VIP Dibber

Mobile

Originally Posted by windsor_hills View Post

Before

After

That’s lovely! Do you mind me asking if a national company did that as I am looking to have ours done like this. Also was it expensive? I’d also like our hike under the stairs boxing in and bespoke shoe and cost storage building into it. Was you’re originally boxed in? Your space looks identical to my house. Thanks!
scoobydooby is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Oct 19, 11:20 AM  
Link to this Post
Sandra & co
Imagineer

Sandra & co's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1
This is ours and it’s grey and I think it looks nice!