Notices
General Trip Planning Other Holiday Planning.

Old 9 Oct 19, 01:54 PM  
Link to this Post
SussexFamily
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by BerkshireBugsy View Post
I've never been SF but my daughter went on a school trip and found it fascinating and moving. She has often said she would like to go there with me.

I hope you have a great trip

BB
Thank you BB
I love travel but I think this trip is beyond simply broadening horizons. It’s on my list as I think it’s one place that needs to be visited from not only a historical perspective but also a humanistic perspective. It also serves as a reminder for what my predecessors did to liberate Europe over 70 years ago, something that often gets overlooked nowadays.
I’m looking forward to it.
SussexFamily is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Oct 19, 02:15 PM  
Link to this Post
Mr Tom Morrow
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 3
He brought me home a 3 page leaflet on the Schindler Factory. Sad to say I read it and it's gone out now.

I have just found all his photos on my PC. I wondered what he was doing on my computer!

The salt mines look awesome.

Very sad.

"PAGING MR MORROW, MR TOM MORROW..."

''I drink Wine and know things''

DVC Owners at SSR since 2003.
Multiple annual visits to America since 1976
Mr Tom Morrow is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Oct 19, 02:17 PM  
Link to this Post
SussexFamily
Imagineer

Mobile

I have to admit I only watched Schindlers List for the first time very recently...
Desperate situation.
SussexFamily is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Oct 19, 05:48 PM  
Link to this Post
coggie
Imagineer

Mobile

Personally for anyone staying in and around old town I wouldn't bother with transfers to and from the airport as the train from the airport goes straight into the town..
coggie is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Oct 19, 05:54 PM  
Link to this Post
Smilesonfaces
Imagineer

Smilesonfaces's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by SussexFamily View Post
I have to admit I only watched Schindlers List for the first time very recently...
Desperate situation.
I think my husband actually knows the script he has watched it so many times !
Smilesonfaces is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Oct 19, 06:12 PM  
Link to this Post
cheekydeeky
VIP Dibber

We go to Krakow every year between Christmas and new year. It’s a stunning city with beautiful architecture, lovely locals, food and a host of things to do.

No need to book transfers - the train goes direct from the airport to Krakow and costs around £1.50 each. Galleria Krakowska has a kantor on the top floor where I would recommend changing money. A lot of the kantors in town will display one rate and give you another.

Must dos are Auschwitz/birkenhau (personally I’d recommend a private trip rather than a bus tour), the Salt Mines, an electric buggy tour, the underground museum, Wawel Castle, walking tour and of course sitting with a beverage in the square people watching.

Hotels - Wawel hotel have rooms that will easily sleep three (actually they are more like suites), they provide a nice breakfast. Hotel is close to the square but up a very quiet street.
cheekydeeky is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Oct 19, 06:14 PM  
Link to this Post
cheekydeeky
VIP Dibber

Wawel hotel - contact the hotel directly they’re very helpful

cheekydeeky is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Oct 19, 06:25 PM  
Link to this Post
Oh Bother
Trying for More Ears

Krakow is such a lovely city to visit. Reasonably cheap and lots to see and do as people have mentioned.
Just returned from there after a 4 day visit and I am off again at the end of October.
Oh Bother is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Oct 19, 07:03 PM  
Link to this Post
Twin mummy
Imagineer

Twin mummy's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Mobile

I’d agree about doing a private tour of Auschwitz Birkenau rather than a bus tour. We always say that at Auschwitz it’s what you see (set up very much like a museum and you sometimes have to remind yourself what’s actually in the display cases). If you can go into Block 27, it’s the block created by Yad Vashem (the Israeli memorial museum) and the first room shows videos of pre war Jewish life. Upstairs at the top is a room filled with copies of children’s drawings from Terizen (a garrison town near Prague used as a ghetto). There is also the book of names which is just a list of victims, takes up a room and part of it has no names to mark the victims we don’t even know the names of.

I’d also recommend taking time at Birkenau, there it’s what you don’t see. It’s vast, I don’t think you can comprehend just how big it is until you see it.

I’ve now been over 20 times (I accompany and educate on student trips) and each time something new hits me.
Old 9 Oct 19, 07:28 PM  
Link to this Post
SussexFamily
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by coggie View Post
Personally for anyone staying in and around old town I wouldn't bother with transfers to and from the airport as the train from the airport goes straight into the town..
Thank you.
What is the cost of train?