Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 12 Sep 19, 08:03 AM  
Link to this Post
Scotty
Imagineer

Mobile Gallbladder removal and diet.

Following an ambulance journey and a day in surgical assessment I am now on waiting list for gallbladder removal (there was no theatre time yesterday).

To anyone who has had this done, how has it affected what you are able to eat? I have to admit I love "trashy" food and cheese although do try to eat mostly home cooked meals.
We go back to Orlando in February.
Old 12 Sep 19, 08:16 AM  
Link to this Post
Frankie & gang
Apprentice Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by Scotty View Post
Following an ambulance journey and a day in surgical assessment I am now on waiting list for gallbladder removal (there was no theatre time yesterday).

To anyone who has had this done, how has it affected what you are able to eat? I have to admit I love "trashy" food and cheese although do try to eat mostly home cooked meals.
We go back to Orlando in February.
I had my gallbladder out 17 years ago by keyhole surgery.
Recovery was REALLY quick, signed off work 2 weeks but felt normal within couple of days.
Was warned I would always need to eat a low fat diet - but I’ve been fine eating normal stuff inc cheese, cream, chocolate!
I’d say try what you like & see if ok.
Good luck x
Old 12 Sep 19, 08:17 AM  
Link to this Post
alisonjones
Imagineer

alisonjones's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 20
I was/am fine with most foods, except onion and double cream but think that maybe due to my IBS. You’ll soon get to know if anything doesn’t agree with you. All the best
Old 12 Sep 19, 08:20 AM  
Link to this Post
Leggibone
Imagineer

Mobile

In the run up I’ve got to admit not eating much differently, though the week before I did behave as instructed. Post op i ate little bits, but low fat for maybe a week or 2 maybe a bit longer (but not obsessively, just held back on cream/cheesey/ really fatty stuff) I’m 18 months on and I eat pretty much as I used to before the op, I notice copious quantities of dairy/very fatty foods don’t agree with me as they used to (without going into gross detail) but other then that I’m just fine!
It’s all better then worrying whether my lunch is going to give me another stone attack!
2014 - Rosen Inn International, Hard Rock Hotel, Yacht club and Bay Lake Tower! Mr Bears Grand Adventure, 2015- A sneaky to DLP- Sequoia Lodge, 2016- Another WDW trip... BLT, AKL, HRH and Rosen Inn - Mr Bear takes Boris to WDW, 2022 - Taking the small fry…. Coronado spring addition, 2024 - Riding solo?
Leggibone is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Sep 19, 08:24 AM  
Link to this Post
Scotty
Imagineer

Mobile

Oh, that's better than I expected. Thanks. I have ibs so watch what I eat most of the time anyway.
Old 12 Sep 19, 08:27 AM  
Link to this Post
Lemmonie
Excited about Disney

I eat just the same. Although I was never able to eat pastries or really fatty foods in the mornings as it gave me the runs!

The reason I have the same issues my consultant said my Gallbladder was in such a bad way that it hadnt really been working anyway so when it was gone there was no shock to the system or adjustment required.
Lemmonie is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Sep 19, 08:36 AM  
Link to this Post
katiec68
Imagineer

katiec68's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
I was in surgery for 3 hours
My gallbladder was stuck to my liver, my gallbladder was full of sludge and very swollen and the stone was 12mm across so they had to make a big hole to get it out

I was out of action for 4 weeks and then on light duties for the week I returned to work before my holiday.

I have no issues with my diet - other than the occasional issue with citrus - satsumas sometimes dont agree with me.

As a rule I dont eat a lot of fatty food anyway but I do like cheese and have no issues with it.

What I would say is that if you have a bigger op make sure you do your pelvic floor/stomach strengthening exercises as after spending 4 weeks nursing my tummy my back gave up compensating and I ended up on Muscle relaxants for 10 days (couldnt bend over, get up or down or sleep! - couldnt ie on either side due to the op and couldnt lie on my back due to the pain)
katiec68 is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Sep 19, 10:00 AM  
Link to this Post
ziggyzag
Imagineer

I had this done, would have be out the same day but op was delayed due to a emergency so wasn't operated on til 5.30pm, was home next day, was back to normal in a few days, celebrated with a curry Only thing I can't eat much of is chocolate It gives me terrible heartburn.
ziggyzag is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Sep 19, 10:25 AM  
Link to this Post
Scotty
Imagineer

Originally Posted by katiec68 View Post
I was in surgery for 3 hours
My gallbladder was stuck to my liver, my gallbladder was full of sludge and very swollen and the stone was 12mm across so they had to make a big hole to get it out
What I would say is that if you have a bigger op make sure you do your pelvic floor/stomach strengthening exercises as after spending 4 weeks nursing my tummy my back gave up compensating and I ended up on Muscle relaxants for 10 days (couldnt bend over, get up or down or sleep! - couldnt ie on either side due to the op and couldnt lie on my back due to the pain)
That sounds awful. I had an ultrasound yesterday and I think anything like that would have flagged up. I understand where you are coming from re the back though as I already have back issues and am suffering today with it.

Thanks everyone for your input. Has eased my mind a lot.
Old 12 Sep 19, 10:51 AM  
Link to this Post
wez
Apprentice Imagineer

Mobile

I’m 10 years post surgery and it’s mainly pastry that I can’t really eat now. Occasionally really fatty food does affect me but not often. I felt so much better once it was removed!
wez is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List