Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 4 Oct 19, 08:50 PM  
Link to this Post
minnie29
Apprentice Imagineer

Going without the Kids!

So, bit of a long story, so I'll try and shorten it.
Basically, we've had to cancel our January Holiday - our 13 year old has moved schools (this was all done very quickly). The new school is a Grammar school and strict on term time holidays (old school not so much). The problem is my husband has booked and paid to run the Dopey challenge out there, costing £500. He has been training hard for it and put so much effort in. We have been considering him just flying over on his own for 5 nights to run the races (5k, 10k, half marathon and then on the final day the full marathon). He says it wouldn't be the same without us, and be a bit poop on his own. My sister suggested that I go with him for the 5 nights and leave the kids with her! At first I couldn't even contemplate going without them (3 and 13) but now I'm starting to consider the thought :/ ...Slightly... a tiny bit... we wouldn't be doing any parks, you don't have to purchase park tickets to do the races. I'd be going just to support my husband and kind of a travel partner. we'd just go out for nice meals of an evening probably. It just seems wrong to go without them, even for 5 nights, it is our 'family place' and I'm worried that the guilt would be too much. The 13 year old is fine with the idea, we go every year an are going back in August 2020. The 3 year old doesn't really understand, but would love to spend a few nights with her cousins .
What would you do? all opinions welcome
I-Drive July 2004. I-Drive Oct/Nov 2006. Southern Dunes May 2010 (married in Florida!). Town Centre June 2011. Southern Dunes August 2012. Hampton Lakes and Carnival Cruise August 2013. Regal Palms 2014. Southern Dunes 2017. Southern Dunes and Hard Rock Hotel May 2018. AKL, POFQ, Wilderness Lodge and Disney Dream2019.
Dopey challenge - All Stars stay January 2020. Cabana Bay Sept 2022
minnie29 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Oct 19, 08:52 PM  
Link to this Post
KarenG
Imagineer

Sure why not?

We’ve done Dopey a couple of times and to be honest you’re on such strange time zones it might not be that much fun for the kids

Personally I would not fancy flying home the day of the marathon though.
KarenG is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Oct 19, 08:55 PM  
Link to this Post
minnie29
Apprentice Imagineer

Originally Posted by KarenG View Post
Sure why not?

We’ve done Dopey a couple of times and to be honest you’re on such strange time zones it might not be that much fun for the kids ✈️
Yeah, in theory we could take the 3 year old as she's only in nursery, but for 5 nights the travelling would be too much for her.
I-Drive July 2004. I-Drive Oct/Nov 2006. Southern Dunes May 2010 (married in Florida!). Town Centre June 2011. Southern Dunes August 2012. Hampton Lakes and Carnival Cruise August 2013. Regal Palms 2014. Southern Dunes 2017. Southern Dunes and Hard Rock Hotel May 2018. AKL, POFQ, Wilderness Lodge and Disney Dream2019.
minnie29 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Oct 19, 08:56 PM  
Link to this Post
louiseybobs
Imagineer

louiseybobs's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Restaurant Reviews: 8
We've just got back from DLP as we did the 36k challenge and didn't take James aged 6 (tomorrow! ). If it were a race in another country you wouldn't feel as guilty but with it being Disney I know where you're coming from

Although we are going to Florida on Wednesday. Don't feel guilty just go for it! Your hubby will need your support and you'll both be so tired from racing/supporting you won't have time to feel guilty 🤣
louiseybobs is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Oct 19, 08:56 PM  
Link to this Post
minnie29
Apprentice Imagineer

Originally Posted by KarenG View Post
Sure why not?

We’ve done Dopey a couple of times and to be honest you’re on such strange time zones it might not be that much fun for the kids

Personally I would not fancy flying home the day of the marathon though.
My husband thinks he's superman and says he'd be fine to fly the same day lol
Old 4 Oct 19, 08:58 PM  
Link to this Post
minnie29
Apprentice Imagineer

Originally Posted by louiseybobs View Post
We've just got back from DLP as we did the 36k challenge and didn't take James aged 6 (tomorrow! ). If it were a race in another country you wouldn't feel as guilty but with it being Disney I know where you're coming from

Although we are going to Florida on Wednesday. Don't feel guilty just go for it! Your hubby will need your support and you'll both be so tired from racing/supporting you won't have time to feel guilty 🤣
Well done to you both! that's a lot of miles to run.
Old 4 Oct 19, 09:14 PM  
Link to this Post
Minnie18
Imagineer

Mobile

I would go and enjoy quality time with your partner it will do you both good. you could always bring your children little presents back.
Minnie18 is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Oct 19, 09:16 PM  
Link to this Post
minnie29
Apprentice Imagineer

Originally Posted by Minnie18 View Post
I would go and enjoy quality time with your partner it will do you both good. you could always bring your children little presents back.
we never go away together as a couple. And I know the 3 year old would love staying at my sister's house. And yeah, l'd bring back a few treats
Old 4 Oct 19, 10:41 PM  
Link to this Post
KarenG
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by minnie29 View Post
My husband thinks he's superman and says he'd be fine to fly the same day lol
It’s the four ‘middle of the night’ starts that I found tough... that was before running the marathon on day 4! 36k in Paris was a breeze in comparison 😆
Old 5 Oct 19, 11:32 AM  
Link to this Post
sotagals
Imagineer

It's not like you can't stay in touch with them and your 3 year old will be able to understand that Daddy is doing an important run.

I used to love staying at my auntie's when I was little - it always felt like an adventure.

Edited at 11:35 AM. Reason: Typo
sotagals is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List