Notices
Theme Parks Florida Rides, Attractions, Genie+ Questions and Info.

Old 17 May 17, 04:40 PM  
Link to this Post

Universal Studios OR Islands of Adventure?

In September, my boyfriend and I are heading off to Florida for just under two weeks!

This is primarily a Disney trip - I've been once before and he has never been - but we're throwing in Sea World as well.

Neither of us have ever been to either of the Universal parks and would like to go to see the Harry Potter stuff. However, I think the ticket prices for a multi park pass are ridiculous, especially when we're already paying quite a lot for all the Disney things we're going to be doing! Aside from Harry Potter nothing massively appeals to me at either park and the boyfriend isn't fussed either way.

As such, which is your favourite out of Universal and IoA if you could only fit in one? Both in terms of which section of the Harry Potter world is better/more fun and in terms of the park as a whole!
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 May 17, 05:24 PM  
Link to this Post
lovedisney
Imagineer

IoA definitely, the theming is amazing, there are a lot more rides, and I think the Harry Potter section is probably better than Universal. Have you checked out the 14 day 3 park ticket which includes the new water park ?

July '17 - Sunset Lakes, Aug '15 - Windsor Hills, Aug 13- Highlands Reserve,Aug '11 -Windsor Hills
Oct '09 - Sunset Lakes,May '08 - Lindfields,April '07 - Florida pines,April '05 - Florida Pines,July 1997 - Quality Inn Plaza,I Drive. May 96 - International Drive
lovedisney is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 May 17, 05:32 PM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by lovedisney View Post
IoA definitely, the theming is amazing, there are a lot more rides, and I think the Harry Potter section is probably better than Universal. Have you checked out the 14 day 3 park ticket which includes the new water park ?
Thank you, but as mentioned above I think the prices are stupidly high even for a one day pass to one of the parks - so 14 days in three is definitely not happening! The water park looks nice enough, but we're perfectly happy with Blizzard Beach and Typhoon Lagoon :-)
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 May 17, 05:37 PM  
Link to this Post
sha9
VIP Dibber

sha9's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 5
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Mobile

IoA had more rides in the HP area but I think US is better.

Trip Report Index
sha9 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 May 17, 05:42 PM  
Link to this Post
Floridaagogo
Imagineer

I would look at pictures on line and see which one you prefer.both the harry potter parts are beautifully themed so it may be a case of considering other rides in each park you would prefer.i prefer the harry potter ride in ioa but the dragon breathing fire ontop of gringotts bank is spectacular.i love the mummy and rip ride rockitt in universal and the hulk and Jurassic park in ioa.not an easy choice ...good luck with your decision x
Floridaagogo is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 May 17, 06:38 PM  
Link to this Post
Animagus
Imagineer

Really tough decision. The US HP section, Diagon Alley, is incredible. Only one ride, Gringotts, but so much else to do. The shops are fun to explore and there are loads of wonderful details that fans will love. Knockturn Alley is there and you can eat in Florean Fortescue's or The Leaky Cauldron. There is the Celestina Warbeck show and the Tale of the Three Brothers puppet show. If you buy an interactive and, you can cast spells around DA too.
As for the rest of the park, RRR and The Mummy are great but IOA wins for me with Hulk and Jurassic Park.
If HP is the main draw, go to US. If rides are as important as HP, go for IOA.
Animagus is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 May 17, 06:50 PM  
Link to this Post
loldis
Imagineer

We were considering the same. Wanted to check out the HP stuff - neither of us are really fans, but appreciate good theming. But not interested in the rides in either park, can't ride simulators which seemed to be the bulk of the good ones. So in the end we decided to skip it completely - wasn't worth the nearly $400 in tickets!

BTW, I think someone suggested the 14 day explorer ticket as it's only slightly more expensive than a single day entry - about £220 each on ATD. The ticket packages are crazy like that.

Edited at 07:00 PM.
loldis is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 May 17, 07:12 PM  
Link to this Post
W1zz
Apprentice Imagineer

Originally Posted by loldis View Post
BTW, I think someone suggested the 14 day explorer ticket as it's only slightly more expensive as a single day entry - about £220 each on ATD. The ticket packages are crazy like that.
We're the opposite, doing Universal only. 3 park tickets cost £1,080 (5 adult prices as kids are over 11).

We did consider revisiting a couple Disney parks, but a 2 day ticket works out at £896

It's a shame really, it's as if they want you to spend £2.8K on ultimate tickets or do without Disney or Universal.
W1zz is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 May 17, 09:31 PM  
Link to this Post
Alfiebeau
Trying for More Ears

Personally couldn't do one without the other and although we only do one or two days at universal as we usually stay onsite at Disney the teenagers and adults much prefer the Universal parks
Alfiebeau is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 May 17, 10:44 PM  
Link to this Post
mseagle
Apprentice Imagineer

Originally Posted by revelvia View Post
In September, my boyfriend and I are heading off to Florida for just under two weeks!

This is primarily a Disney trip - I've been once before and he has never been - but we're throwing in Sea World as well.

Neither of us have ever been to either of the Universal parks and would like to go to see the Harry Potter stuff. However, I think the ticket prices for a multi park pass are ridiculous, especially when we're already paying quite a lot for all the Disney things we're going to be doing! Aside from Harry Potter nothing massively appeals to me at either park and the boyfriend isn't fussed either way.

As such, which is your favourite out of Universal and IoA if you could only fit in one? Both in terms of which section of the Harry Potter world is better/more fun and in terms of the park as a whole!
Island of Adventure every time ! Loads of varied rides there plus it has Harry Potters castle. Do try and do both parks though if you can.
mseagle is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List