Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 4 Nov 17, 05:01 PM  
Link to this Post
Bobbins
Imagineer

Bobbins's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by lme30005 View Post
I didn't think the premium food was any better than economy.
That's because it's the same.
Bobbins is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Nov 17, 05:01 PM  
Link to this Post
BrightlyBob
Very Serious Dibber

We flew Virgin PE LHR-LAX and whilst it was comfy and enjoyable on the way out, it was a godsend on the return leg where after the meal me and the wife reclined back and slept a solid 7 hours waking up just a few mins before breakfast. Can’t do that in Economy, I just can’t.

I would say on the way out it’s worth a few quid extra, say £80 to Florida, but it’s easily worth Double or triple that on the return leg. Putting my money where my mouth is we’ve ponied up the extra for PE next year, this time with Thomson as it’s PE was £300 cheaper for us both than Virgin.
BrightlyBob is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Nov 17, 05:09 PM  
Link to this Post
lme30005
Apprentice Imagineer

If you wait for the next sale, booking on the Virgin website, sometimes you can get really good prices for economy out and premium back. I was looking at economy out to Miami and upper class back at Easter and it was only about £800-900 - so tempted!

It's always cheaper to get premium coming home as the US departure taxes are cheaper
lme30005 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Nov 17, 05:46 PM  
Link to this Post

Thanks for posting this LuLu-Belle, I too have been considering this for October next year but Virgin's prices are astronomical at the moment for a return from Gatwick to Orlando in September (been looking at September to get an idea on prices as October's flights aren't available yet). For two people the cheapest I have found on Virgin PE is around £3500, is this usual for people who have booked this before? Or does the price tend to come down in October? PE for BA is around £2000 at the moment for return in October and I'm wondering if it's really worth me waiting for Virgin's October flights to become available. Any advice would be much appreciated!
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Nov 17, 06:01 PM  
Link to this Post
ChrisS
Imagineer

It's personally relevant, like MrT if we were unable to acquire a minimum of PE then we'd look at biz class alternatives/change our dates. We simply can't cope being shoe horned in a 17.5" seat width anymore, the last time we did, in 2012, I required weeks of physio and caused further deterioration to my back.

If it's a cost issue I fully understand why many don't place value on PE, but for those of us with health issues requiring additional space it's worth every additional penny.
Old 4 Nov 17, 06:42 PM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by Bobbins View Post
That's because it's the same.
No it's definitely been a different menu over the last few months.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Nov 17, 07:10 PM  
Link to this Post
ChrisS
Imagineer

Originally Posted by BrightlyBob View Post
We flew Virgin PE LHR-LAX and whilst it was comfy and enjoyable on the way out, it was a godsend on the return leg where after the meal me and the wife reclined back and slept a solid 7 hours waking up just a few mins before breakfast. Can’t do that in Economy, I just can’t.

I would say on the way out it’s worth a few quid extra, say £80 to Florida, but it’s easily worth Double or triple that on the return leg. Putting my money where my mouth is we’ve ponied up the extra for PE next year, this time with Thomson as it’s PE was £300 cheaper for us both than Virgin.
Hiya Bob - you may know this, unless you're on Thomson's 767-300ER, which according to SeatGuru has 20.5" of PE seat width, their Dreamliner PE width is 18" vs VA's 21". Pitch is 2" less than VA at 36".

Edited at 07:11 PM.
ChrisS is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Nov 17, 09:12 PM  
Link to this Post
boomie
slightly serious Dibber

Mobile

Originally Posted by Mr Tom Morrow View Post
I need that extra legroom and bigger seat to keep my back from seizing up.
The extra bits you get are nice but it's the seat I want and the extra room.
Well worth the money
Exactly this! Totally worth it for us, we always book PE.
Disney's Animal Kingdom Lodge - Dec 2017
Disney Dream Cruise & Disney's Boardwalk 2018
boomie is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Nov 17, 09:36 PM  
Link to this Post
fleurbie
Apprentice Imagineer

We always fly PE which is why we don't do long haul every year :
For my DH especially as he's 6"4
we also like being off the plane a bit quicker too and the rest is just a bonus.
We booked in January for this October and a return was £780 each which I thought was a brilliant price tbh
We have gone with Thomson PE but they are smaller 36" virgin 38"
Nov 19 CBR, September 22 BRV, BWV 💕
fleurbie is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Nov 17, 12:44 AM  
Link to this Post
BrightlyBob
Very Serious Dibber

Originally Posted by ChrisS View Post
Hiya Bob - you may know this, unless you're on Thomson's 767-300ER, which according to SeatGuru has 20.5" of PE seat width, their Dreamliner PE width is 18" vs VA's 21". Pitch is 2" less than VA at 36".
Yes, I know. It’s a real oddity. Both fly the Dreamliner, both on a 2-3-2 PE setup, yet somehow the Virgin seat is 21” and the Thomson only 18”. Seems odd, and I hope to remember to measure when I fly Thomson PE next year.
BrightlyBob is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List