Notices
Car Hire & Transportation Discuss the best way of getting around Florida.

Old 16 May 18, 07:49 PM  
Link to this Post
Liv
Helping Mickey

Alamo full size SUV - which would you choose?

Hi All,

Looking for a bit of advice

I have a full size seven seater SUV booked for August. The booking says it will be a Ford Expedition "or similar ". I know that I'll be able to choose from a row of cars. Anyone know what my choices are likely to be? Which would you look for and why?

Thanks, Amanda
Liv is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 May 18, 08:34 PM  
Link to this Post
TigerMom
Apprentice Imagineer

We have had 2 Expeditions and a Gmc Yukon. The Yukon was bigger but the Expeditions were nicer to drive. Hoping for a Tahoe this year.
TigerMom is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 May 18, 08:41 PM  
Link to this Post
Liv
Helping Mickey

Originally Posted by TigerMom View Post
We have had 2 Expeditions and a Gmc Yukon. The Yukon was bigger but the Expeditions were nicer to drive. Hoping for a Tahoe this year.
Thanks for that. Out of interest, why would you like a Tahoe? Is there something special about them?
Liv is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 May 18, 10:02 PM  
Link to this Post
TigerMom
Apprentice Imagineer

No. It's just not having had one before we would like to try one.
TigerMom is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 May 18, 10:16 PM  
Link to this Post
Northerndave
Being a bit Goofy

Originally Posted by TigerMom View Post
No. It's just not having had one before we would like to try one.
From the inside it will look virtually the same though, apart from the badge on the wheel and some different colour combos.

Still a magnificent bit of kit to drive.
Old 17 May 18, 11:20 AM  
Link to this Post
Charlie30
Getting Excited

We’re here now and ended up with a Nissan Armada. It’s a beast. Very impressed with it but kinda feel like we missed out on the Tahoe that pulled up next to us when we were leaving. With 3 exhausted kids in tow it wasn’t an option to move and start packing again. It’s drinking the gas but I’m not so bothered as we feel very safe and it’s really powerful.
Old 17 May 18, 03:54 PM  
Link to this Post
flossycandy
VIP Dibber

flossycandy's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Can someone tell me if the keys for these are in the car or is it the same as the luxury category and you have to see one of the Alamo guys?
flossycandy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 May 18, 04:40 PM  
Link to this Post
WDocW
Very Serious Dibber

The Expedition has a V6 turbo "ecoboost" engine which develops a colossal amount of torque. I found it amusingly fast for such a big tank of a car.

The Tahoe/Yukon has a traditional V8 with no turbo, but still quite quick and sounds nicer. It will use a bit more fuel but then gas is so cheap it doesn't really matter!

I've never considered the Armada as we prefer a bit of Americana but if the choice was a high-spec one of those or a low spec Tahoe etc we'd pick that.

Just look for one that has leather seats, cloth = low spec.

Last time we found only a Nissan but when asked at the desk a shiny new Expedition was whisked round for us.
WDocW is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 May 18, 10:15 PM  
Link to this Post
Liv
Helping Mickey

Originally Posted by Charlie30 View Post
We’re here now and ended up with a Nissan Armada. It’s a beast. Very impressed with it but kinda feel like we missed out on the Tahoe that pulled up next to us when we were leaving. With 3 exhausted kids in tow it wasn’t an option to move and start packing again. It’s drinking the gas but I’m not so bothered as we feel very safe and it’s really powerful.
I know what you mean! I'm a single mum taking my three daughters and my mother so by the time I get there I don't really have the time or patience to spend ages waiting for a car! That's why I'm trying to get things straight in my head now
Old 17 May 18, 10:19 PM  
Link to this Post
Liv
Helping Mickey

Originally Posted by WDocW View Post
The Expedition has a V6 turbo "ecoboost" engine which develops a colossal amount of torque. I found it amusingly fast for such a big tank of a car.

The Tahoe/Yukon has a traditional V8 with no turbo, but still quite quick and sounds nicer. It will use a bit more fuel but then gas is so cheap it doesn't really matter!

I've never considered the Armada as we prefer a bit of Americana but if the choice was a high-spec one of those or a low spec Tahoe etc we'd pick that.

Just look for one that has leather seats, cloth = low spec.

Last time we found only a Nissan but when asked at the desk a shiny new Expedition was whisked round for us.
Thanks for this - I'll remember to look for leather seats!