Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 20 Jun 19, 08:36 PM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by Mr Tom Morrow View Post
Colette. To be honest I think they are all much of a muchness. All great when things work well. Then when it goes wrong that's when we find out who is the best.

But is it? Or is it more like we have found a call handler who is good as opposed to being useless.

My worst experience with BT was ringing them to terminate my late Mums phone line and the Guy tried to upsell me on my package.

Probably the best ≈≈≈≈ ripping I have ever done in my life. I doubt he could sit down for a month. ≈≈≈≈≈≈.
Coincidentally, I have had many bad experiences with BT, but the worst was when I was dealing with them regarding my deceased father's account (he died 18 months after my mother). They were the worst company to deal with by a very very long way. (I just wanted to close the account not get out of paying anything).
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Jun 19, 10:12 PM  
Link to this Post
YorkshireT
Imagineer

I have to say I had no problems with BT for a number of years, tried Virgin about 2 years ago and they were appalling, with sharp practise and over utilisation of the system , with a 200mb connection running at about 5.

Anyway, BT got expensive, £52 a month for calls, and broadband with a max speed of 38mb.

Virgin offered me 500 meg, 2 new boxes, full TV package, all calls and an unlimited sim for £85 a month with cash back. Given I was paying for a sim anyway, it cost me about another £10 a month, for full TV and 500mb Internet.

Given my previous experience, I had great trepidation, and they guaranteed I would get at least 300mb or so of Internet.

Anyway, install was excellent with even a manager turning up to check it all and do Speedtest. I have a wireless mesh system plugged in as the WiFi signal is shocking from Virgin boxes , and now get around 400 close to the box, and maybe about 200 upstairs. When I plug in a LAN cable, I get 550, so it is delivering what they promised.

U.K. call centre.

I’m sure people have horror stories about them all, but as far as I’m concerned at the moment, Virgin has raised its game above BT.

Edited at 10:13 PM.
YorkshireT is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Jun 19, 08:59 AM  
Link to this Post
tspill
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Mr Tom Morrow View Post
I find BT to be very good. However their Bombay call centre or wherever it's located is about as much use as a chocolate teapot!

I pay a few pence extra a month and can ring a UK number. Worth every penny.
I agree. Had to call them yesterday and all sorted.
They no longer have call centres in India - all brought back to the UK so that helps a lot.
They have processes to follow (remember they know nothing about you or your abilities to diagnose a fault). Just roll with it, stay calm and it will be sorted. Once you "lose it" - it is human nature to be less helpful.
tspill is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Jun 19, 09:22 AM  
Link to this Post
400ixl
Imagineer

Dealing with issues wise BT, Sky and Virgin are all much the same, can be hit and miss. Just avoid TalkTalk as it is far more miss than hit.

There are lots of other smaller suppliers as well to consider where the service could be more personal. At the end of the day, other than Virgin they have to rely on Openreach to an extent so often their hands are tied in what they can do themselves.

At the end of the day, everyone will the preferred supplier, often based on their personal experience of one and what they have anecdotally heard about others. At the end of the day, go with which has the package that suits you best.
400ixl is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Jun 19, 02:05 PM  
Link to this Post
Saratoska
VIP Dibber

Saratoska's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 1
My son has switched back to BT from Virgin as he said they were worse

Saratoska is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Jun 19, 02:20 PM  
Link to this Post
tspill
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Saratoska View Post
My son has switched back to BT from Virgin as he said they were worse
I know a number of people that tried Virgin and all have moved away again - some to BT and some to other companies. Nothing but bad stories about Virgin.
tspill is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Jun 19, 02:23 PM  
Link to this Post
red cuillen
Excited about Disney

BT still had a call centre overseas a few weeks ago when they messed me around on the live chat. And the lady who phoned the following day to do what those just following the script couldn't do was overseas too.
After years of dithering we switched following that debacle.
Agreed that they are probably all them same, and it depends on who you get put through to. The final straw for me was BT resorting to blackmail by saying, "if you want to keep a BT email address" - which we'd had for 20 years, it'll cost £7.50 a month. That was the spur to change, I guess the genuis that came up with that one thought people would stay with them to avoid the hassle.
(That reminds me, must change the email contact I use on the dibb! )
red cuillen is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Jun 19, 02:24 PM  
Link to this Post
cartoonp
VIP Dibber

cartoonp's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 4
Restaurant Reviews: 14

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 2
Guidebook Photos: 45
Guidebook Reviews: 1
Thanks all for reply’s know back on
cartoonp is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Jun 19, 04:28 PM  
Link to this Post
Bats
Disney Cruise Line VIP!

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 13
Advice for all - in weather that involves lightning, unplug everything from your telephone socket.

If the lightning travels down the line and blows your router/telephone/anything else plugged in and you then call Openreach out, you could be charged for that call out.

You can think it's right or wrong, but Openreach work with all providers and may charge them, then the provider may then send the charge on to you.

Unplug the lot, much safer!
Old 21 Jun 19, 04:38 PM  
Link to this Post
cartoonp
VIP Dibber

cartoonp's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 4
Restaurant Reviews: 14

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 2
Guidebook Photos: 45
Guidebook Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by Bats View Post
Advice for all - in weather that involves lightning, unplug everything from your telephone socket.

If the lightning travels down the line and blows your router/telephone/anything else plugged in and you then call Openreach out, you could be charged for that call out.

You can think it's right or wrong, but Openreach work with all providers and may charge them, then the provider may then send the charge on to you.

Unplug the lot, much safer!

Yep Agee with this
cartoonp is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List