Notices
Walt Disney World and Florida Trip Reports Trip Reports and Videos

Old 12 Jul 19, 12:13 AM  
Link to this Post
walt4it
VIP Dibber

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 8
:) A Mi11ion Dreams = 2018 - Day 25 - Our Goodbye to Dr Jackie Ogden and Nemo.

Welcome back and as always thanks for sticking with this report until the very end.
Nearly there now
As always, thanks for all the comments and PM's asking for info or advice - always happy to help.

Our previous day - Day 24 is a click here away.

The index to all of 2018 is here

and as always the index of all trips and all previous reports can be read by clicking here

Welcome to Day 25

Sunday 19th August 2018.

It is my final photo fest of the whole trip, the next few days do not contain the amount here. Grab a cuppa - this might be a long one

After a day off and a time to just take stock of how little time lay ahead of us we decided that we would plan for very little again today, make use of our fast passes and ready ourselves for the next few days.

Weekends, in most of the parks, have got to the stage where we sometimes feel that it is worth having a low expectation of the day, as with yesterday, it is sometimes better just to have a day away – there is no longer a ‘quiet day' in Disney.

Today we parked at Animal Kingdom, Peacock 9 to be exact and at 11-20am to add even more detail!

It seemed busy even on entry. So, Starbucks seemed the best first stop for a cinnamon roll, coffee and Joe’s new favourite drink- a peach citrus iced tea.

He has really enjoyed these iced teas on this trip and I guess we will never pass another Starbucks at home if they are available there. (have yet to find them though!)

We were soon to be headed to Flight of Passage for the final time on the whole trip, but not before a quick toilet stop -to which Joe describes as "...the moment I nearly died"

On opening the door to return to Pandora he was forced to jump out of the way to avoid a speeding ECV.

He didn’t even get an apology for nearly being totally wiped out. The look on his face told it all, He really did look as if he avoided being run over and now has a real reason to scowl at ECV's rather than just taking having my opinion to rely on

We lingered just taking in the different sights you find in different light conditions within Pandora-

We then fast passed our way to meet Dr Jackie Ogden and finally onto our final Flight of Passage for this whole trip- our 8th.

I have totally run out of superlatives to describe this ride. We could very easily have got in line and waited two hours to ride just once more time, and would probably have spent the rest of the day in the queue given the chance.

Sivako!

We had other plans for today.

Next stop was the Safari as we had missed this on all previous visits this year – sometimes that just happens ,but I have to admit there is a limitation to the number of animal back sides that I can see, especially when you can spend time at AK in other places – today we only waited 25 mins and saw loads of animals.

Today was Disney Photopass day 2018 – a time to look out for a few different photos and some different magic shots/ characters.

We even managed to spot Bolt!

There was noticeably more photographers throughout the whole park.

The boys rode EE single rider and we then visited the Nemo show for our final time in 2018.

We never spoke to each other throughout we were just glued and all reciting the whole script word for word. Usually we get this final AK visit in early, not anymore due to FoP , as a result saying goodbye at Nemo means so much.

Amidst loads of work and a whole lot of stuff going on, the most beautiful and most heart rendering moment in any Disney park, never mind ride, food nor anything else.

My most favourite photos and the most tear rendering ending of any show in the whole of WDW.

Usually we leave Mk with that golf ball sized lump in the throat – it took me awhile to adapt to two golf balls after our final Nemo show.
No idea why at the time, but possibly much more aware now as I type all of this.

So much time in this trip has been work impacted. I love my job and only on looking back on so many days of this trip – I recognise how it impacted more than it should have done, yet at the time it needed to be done and I was the only person who would be able to do it.

We left and just soaked up Animal Kingdom, the live music , the space and the different smells too.

You need to do this. Just to soak it all up.

Visually we all get taken in by MK and the theming, yet there has been something special happening in this park, since the arrival of Pandora, a true belief it is a full day experience and an ability to challenge senses that other parks don’t.

It has taken AK a long time to grow into it’s true skin but it is truly a special place to visit now. It has a more mixed identity than on my first visit , it has gotten over the animal bit. There is a true sense of verve in all that you see and do here and that bodes well as it remains true to itself as a park. Know that sounds odd , but it feels so thematically right even with films and added characters.

As we absorbed all of that , so the wallet absorbed a final shop stop for a WDW top and Flight of Passage pins- see what the place does to you!

The boys went pin trading before we departed just after 4,it was a hot one !

As we drove we were listening to a great version of
Should I fall behind - live in NYC in the car.

I am going to be indulgent here, as I have rarely mentioned it at all on this trip – new hire cars with a free 1 year subscription to Sirius XM allow you free uninterrupted access to Estreet Radio every Bruce song you dare to want to listen to.

You will have endured the previous song per day with video in 2016

To me, it again meant, we had the greatest Springsteen fest in the car every time we went out!

I have made a conscious decision not to include all of that again!
Until now – there was not a word spoken in the car, the enormity of the song brought home to us, just all we had loved together over the past few weeks, that final Nemo wave , that real awareness that for the past 24 days we had just loved every minute of each other. We don’t get a chance to do this for the other 48 weeks of the year.

The song just hit home so much today

Please wait for me xxxx

It is what we do for each other encapsulated in just one song.

Golf ball in the throat moments left aside, we had a matter of minutes drive from AK to a quick McDonald’s stop , which has become a cheap snack option when you don’t need much else to see you through until an evening meal.

7 dollars later and at least 8 drink refills with just one, small happy meal cup we were refreshed and ready to go...

Down the 192 to get some Krispy Kreme doughnuts - close to Rolling Oaks it had only been open three weeks – see what those Voodoo doughnuts led us to!

The smell proved too much for Joe!

Caught red handed!

We enjoyed a swim and sun at the Villa- Joe even did a word for word re-enactment of The Nemo show( will avoid posting it here but there is video that I will keep forever!)

Before the weather turned – see what those famous last words did yesterday!

Having not had a storm yesterday and with the day being so hot, you expected what was to come.

The weather channel app was accurate as at 6-15 the first rain and thunder struck, lightning followed as we got in the car and took an enforced weather break to get some things to take home. Advil in particular for Grandad!

The drive there brought spectacular views of lightning filling the skies around us, from the Ronald Regan end of the 27 being dry to the Walmart road being flooded and us navigating a way through to avoid damage to the car.

Everyone bailed out at the door as I was left to park the car ( See what happened there then! ) and then to make a dash for it to get into the store.

The change in temperature was startling!

We actually did not buy very much and as we paid, Joe noticed that someone had walked away from the self checkout without taking the cashback they requested, all $60 of it.

We scanned the place looking for the guy who had walked off.

Thankfully Joe spotted him and as he thanked us, we were so glad that he was reunited with his cash - All of us would have felt awful not seeing the cash returned, and having done something similar a few years ago and someone pocketing the cash, I know how bad it feels too.

We had spent just over an hour in the shop and as we got back in the car the lightning literally fizzed in the sky above, leaving a smoke trail too.

The journey up the 27 was filled with many a gasp of disbelief at how close the lightning appeared and also just how much it lit the now night-time sky.

We were thankful we had not made plans for a park or fireworks tonight.

We arrived back at the villa and sorted out dinner for the boys - pizza and Chinese from the freezer for us- this was a great buy and tasted great.

We caught up on highlights of the James gig in Scarborough from Saturday night thanks to YouTube.

The boys were early to bed so with the weather now cleared we put the hot tub on for a proper chill out before hitting bed ourselves.
What a fab day and what a fantastic park Animal Kingdom has become. We found our farewell a difficult one.

The recognition was, that the end was near and a little something booked tonight should provide a nice surprise tomorrow.

See you real soon for Day 26 - just click here to keep on reading

Thank you for reading

Going out in a Blaze of Glory- Our Summer of Sorcery 2019 - COMPLETE! 4 Weeks, from The Yacht Club for 10 nights onto much more Florida fun too

All of our previous Trip reports and escapades can be read here.

Edited at 01:02 AM.
walt4it is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Jul 19, 12:58 PM  
Link to this Post
Palm trees
Apprentice Imagineer

Wow, there's a massive temperature drop there when the rain came! I bet it felt nice though (although I'd probably have been terrified driving through it!).

Ps just noticed your trip countdown, I bet it feels great finishing this reporting as you get ready for your next one

Edited at 01:00 PM.
Palm trees is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Jul 19, 09:15 PM  
Link to this Post
walt4it
VIP Dibber

theDIBB Guidebook
Originally Posted by Palm trees View Post
Wow, there's a massive temperature drop there when the rain came! I bet it felt nice though (although I'd probably have been terrified driving through it!).

Ps just noticed your trip countdown, I bet it feels great finishing this reporting as you get ready for your next one
I am so determined to get this whole trip report finished and thank you for posting a reply - it is comments like yours that will ensure I get it all done - THANK YOU

That temperature drop was something else! Joe even put a hoodie on in the villa

Appreciate your comments and will keep this report alive until the very end.

Pre trip report for 2019 is posted too - he said shamelessly promoting the new tour

Going out in a Blaze of Glory- Our Summer of Sorcery 2019 - COMPLETE! 4 Weeks, from The Yacht Club for 10 nights onto much more Florida fun too

walt4it is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Jul 19, 09:24 PM  
Link to this Post
rooftopgambler
I have Ears

Mobile

Really enjoying this TR. Wish I could manage to get 4 weeks off work!
rooftopgambler is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Jul 19, 09:38 PM  
Link to this Post
GezzasGem
Imagineer

Mobile

Another fabulous day and so lovely to see how it is soaked up and appreciated 😊 your safari pics are great, were they on your phone or a stand alone camera?
GezzasGem is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Jul 19, 12:22 AM  
Link to this Post
walt4it
VIP Dibber

theDIBB Guidebook
Originally Posted by rooftopgambler View Post
Really enjoying this TR. Wish I could manage to get 4 weeks off work!
Can't go when it is cheap though and would love to see Florida with less sweat

Glad you are enjoying the trip report - the end is in sight
Hope you stay with us until the end

Old 13 Jul 19, 06:23 PM  
Link to this Post
walt4it
VIP Dibber

theDIBB Guidebook
Originally Posted by GezzasGem View Post
Another fabulous day and so lovely to see how it is soaked up and appreciated 😊 your safari pics are great, were they on your phone or a stand alone camera?
Glad you enjoyed reading it

The safari photos were on my main camera, a Panasonic FZ 72 - I had just found a new button to gain greater focus whilst using the zoom - I have also got to admit I take loads of pics and edit out the really rubbish ones
The safari is really difficult to get decent pics on - usually as you have the wrong side of the animal facing you and you then get a load of animal bottoms as a momento

Old 13 Jul 19, 06:56 PM  
Link to this Post
mick
VIP Dibber

mick's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
A brilliant day at AK but that storm looks bad

Joan
Old 16 Jul 19, 01:26 AM  
Link to this Post
walt4it
VIP Dibber

theDIBB Guidebook
Originally Posted by mick View Post
A brilliant day at AK but that storm looks bad

Joan
Thanks for reading Joan - it was a fab AK day

Have even got Day 26 posted tonight too

If I had started like this - we could have got all this finished by Christmas

Old 16 Jul 19, 07:22 AM  
Link to this Post
Taffy1959
VIP Dibber

Taffy1959's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Lovely day at AK and wow that rain