Notices
General Trip Planning Other Holiday Planning.

Old 10 Aug 20, 09:49 PM  
Link to this Post
mikeclark007
Serious Dibber

mikeclark007's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by derenstar View Post
The mind boggles with the FCO advise, the methodology for deciding which countries are deemed ‘safe’ is rather opaque!

We’ve booked to go in February staying at Lapita. I’m hoping (though being realistic) that we can travel. There’s a list of approved test centres for the Covid tests that would give a certificate but this will be an added expense for the 4 of us. I really hope they’ve dropped that requirement by then.
I agree. Isn’t it based on the number of infections per 100,000? Wouldn’t even know where to look to see what figure the UAE has.

Lapita looks nice right in the middle of that Dubai Parks and Resorts not. We did Legoland and Motiongate a few years ago. Motiongate was really good in particular the Dreamworks bit. We wanted AI so stayed in Jebel Ali nearby at the JA Beach Hotel. Love it on that complex.
mikeclark007 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Aug 20, 12:52 AM  
Link to this Post
derenstar
Apprentice Imagineer

Originally Posted by mikeclark007 View Post
I agree. Isn’t it based on the number of infections per 100,000? Wouldn’t even know where to look to see what figure the UAE has.

Lapita looks nice right in the middle of that Dubai Parks and Resorts not. We did Legoland and Motiongate a few years ago. Motiongate was really good in particular the Dreamworks bit. We wanted AI so stayed in Jebel Ali nearby at the JA Beach Hotel. Love it on that complex.
Worldometer gives cases per million and as at today, the UAE stands at 6,314 cases per mil against the UKs 4,588 per mil. No idea what this translates to per 100K. So in population terms, I guess they’re not doing that great given they have a much smaller population to us. Their total deaths however is just a fraction of ours at 357 poor souls.

We really like the look of Lapita and having access to all the parks at Dubai Parks & Resorts. We’ve also heard great things about the parks. I understand though that it’s a bit far from everything else but we don’t mind that. We also looked at the Jumeira Beach for the wild wadi water park access but the pull of Dubai parks and resorts was stronger. Maybe next time. I’m trying not to get too excited though, in case it doesn’t happen!
derenstar is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Aug 20, 06:25 AM  
Link to this Post
mikeclark007
Serious Dibber

mikeclark007's Reviews
Originally Posted by derenstar View Post
Worldometer gives cases per million and as at today, the UAE stands at 6,314 cases per mil against the UKs 4,588 per mil. No idea what this translates to per 100K. So in population terms, I guess they’re not doing that great given they have a much smaller population to us. Their total deaths however is just a fraction of ours at 357 poor souls.

We really like the look of Lapita and having access to all the parks at Dubai Parks & Resorts. We’ve also heard great things about the parks. I understand though that it’s a bit far from everything else but we don’t mind that. We also looked at the Jumeira Beach for the wild wadi water park access but the pull of Dubai parks and resorts was stronger. Maybe next time. I’m trying not to get too excited though, in case it doesn’t happen!
Yeah we’ve done all the touristy type stuff so are happy out at JA. The only trip we make is to Aquaventure Waterpark at Atlantis. You’ll have the Legoland waterpark to go to but I’ve not been to that. Hope it’s good.
mikeclark007 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Aug 20, 11:16 AM  
Link to this Post
mikeclark007
Serious Dibber

mikeclark007's Reviews
gulfnews/travel/travel-u... 1597126481719

Interesting article regarding departures from Dubai to Greece and the UK. Here’s hoping something materialises and UAE is removed from our quarantine list.
Old 11 Aug 20, 02:33 PM  
Link to this Post
CarsonMac
Very Serious Dibber

Originally Posted by mikeclark007 View Post
gulfnews/travel/travel-u... 1597126481719

Interesting article regarding departures from Dubai to Greece and the UK. Here’s hoping something materialises and UAE is removed from our quarantine list.
isn't BoJo supposed to be updating the FCO list on Thursday? hopefully good news then?!
Quality Inn Plaza , I drive (2009) / Los Angeles, CA (2010) /New york + Villa at Chatham park (2014/15) / Quality Inn on 192 (2015) / Laguna beach (2016) / Flamingo inn ,Daytona beach (2016/17) Houston , Atlanta + Coco key water resort, I drive (2017), Boston (2018), New York City (2018) Washington DC + Clarion Suites Maingate, (2018)Red Lion/ New orleans (Sept 2019) Cabbibean Resort/ Red lion (Jan 2020), Baymont Inn and Suites (Aug 2020)
CarsonMac is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Oct 20, 04:23 PM  
Link to this Post

I thought I had seen a big Dubai thread in the past. I thought I would bump it as we just booked a five /six day trip after my BA companion voucher was unexpectedly extended another six months (it would have expired next month otherwise).

If I can’t stay at the Burj , I would like to stay at the Atlantis, DH thinks we should stay at Sofitel Dubai The Palm Resort & Spa which is more or less next door, he thinks this because of hotel loyalty points. Any thoughts?
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Oct 20, 04:52 PM  
Link to this Post
act1980
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by Claudette View Post
I thought I had seen a big Dubai thread in the past. I thought I would bump it as we just booked a five /six day trip after my BA companion voucher was unexpectedly extended another six months (it would have expired next month otherwise).

If I can’t stay at the Burj , I would like to stay at the Atlantis, DH thinks we should stay at Sofitel Dubai The Palm Resort & Spa which is more or less next door, he thinks this because of hotel loyalty points. Any thoughts?
When are you travelling?

We are so tempted to book a week in December staying at the Sofitel. It would work really well for us with our baby as they have 1 bedroom apartments with a washing machine so it would be ideal. Just not sure if we’ll be able to go. It’s still on the FCO’s advisory list isn’t it?

We’re also planning to go in May staying at Atlantis again, hoping that one works out at least 🤞🏼
Old 15 Oct 20, 05:17 PM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by act1980 View Post
When are you travelling?

We are so tempted to book a week in December staying at the Sofitel. It would work really well for us with our baby as they have 1 bedroom apartments with a washing machine so it would be ideal. Just not sure if we’ll be able to go. It’s still on the FCO’s advisory list isn’t it?

We’re also planning to go in May staying at Atlantis again, hoping that one works out at least 🤞🏼
I have got the end of January booked, my extended companion voucher runs until May but I have something pencilled in for April, so January will be nice. I am not assuming anything will go ahead, I just want to have some plans but fully prepared to cancel if need be.

I believe Dubai will let us in at the moment but have to get a covid PCR no more than 96 hours before travel. I am not sure what being on the “FCOs advisory” means, is that good or bad? I am not going to worry about our rules just yet, I will look into it nearer the time.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Oct 20, 06:05 PM  
Link to this Post
act1980
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by Claudette View Post
I have got the end of January booked, my extended companion voucher runs until May but I have something pencilled in for April, so January will be nice. I am not assuming anything will go ahead, I just want to have some plans but fully prepared to cancel if need be.

I believe Dubai will let us in at the moment but have to get a covid PCR no more than 96 hours before travel. I am not sure what being on the “FCOs advisory” means, is that good or bad? I am not going to worry about our rules just yet, I will look into it nearer the time.
Ah nice, I'll keep my fingers crossed for you!

I think the FCO thing would basically make travel insurance void but I know Emirates Holidays are offering free Covid cover so I guess that eliminates that problem.
Old 15 Oct 20, 08:18 PM  
Link to this Post
megaflyer
Imagineer

Originally Posted by act1980 View Post
Ah nice, I'll keep my fingers crossed for you!

I think the FCO thing would basically make travel insurance void but I know Emirates Holidays are offering free Covid cover so I guess that eliminates that problem.
I think emirates are the only company I would go with and I would book any insurance through them to avoid any potential complications eg is it void or not ? I wound want to make sure there was full cover with just one company - medial cadre in the UAE is eye watering expensive (I know for having a bad asthma attack there one year) - makes USA seem reasonable
megaflyer is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List