Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 20 Sep 20, 11:50 AM  
Link to this Post
Bozza
Imagineer

Bozza's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 49
Originally Posted by loola30 View Post
The degree of saving varies depending on the cabin, but at the upper class level on reward flights it works out around £4,080 as two singles and £2,730 as a return (for a family of 2 adults, 2 children). I think the difference in an economy reward each way is around £80 difference.
Thanks - we've booked many PE/Upper returns with miles but never booked one leg and then the second leg later (when 330 days ticks around) so it's not been a consideration, but posts on this thread had piqued my interest.

We've just started thinking about next Summer and when I last checked there seemed to be decent PE and/or Upper availability to both Florida and the West coast so we need to decide (toss a coin?) to see which one we're going to visit.

Part One
Part Two
Bozza is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Sep 20, 12:00 PM  
Link to this Post
Softy
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Bozza View Post
Thanks - we've booked many PE/Upper returns with miles but never booked one leg and then the second leg later (when 330 days ticks around) so it's not been a consideration, but posts on this thread had piqued my interest.

We've just started thinking about next Summer and when I last checked there seemed to be decent PE and/or Upper availability to both Florida and the West coast so we need to decide (toss a coin?) to see which one we're going to visit.
The main reason for it is to make sure you get the outbound reward flight as soon it’s released, otherwise there’s a fair chance they will all have gone by the time your return flight is released, especially in the peak times. I always do it when I book reward flights in August or Xmas.

Edited at 12:02 PM.
Softy is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Sep 20, 12:04 PM  
Link to this Post
Bozza
Imagineer

Bozza's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 49
Originally Posted by Softy View Post
The main reason for it is to grab the outbound reward flight as soon it’s released, otherwise there’s a fair chance they will all have gone by the time your return flight is released, especially in the peak times.
Oh yeah, I fully appreciate why people do it - hence me mentioning the 330 days for the return leg.

We're not great planners - a couple of years ago we booked peak August holiday PE returns with miles in July - did a quick search, surprisingly found some availability so booked up.

(For accommodation we've booked the Beach Club at around 11pm to check in the following day before!)

Part One
Part Two
Bozza is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Sep 20, 05:25 PM  
Link to this Post
Mymemories
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by Bozza View Post
(For accommodation we've booked the Beach Club at around 11pm to check in the following day before!)
OMG ! 😱😱 There is no way my compulsive Disney holiday planning disorder would ever allow me to do that ! 😂😂😂
Old 21 Sep 20, 07:07 AM  
Link to this Post
eaglesrest
Apprentice Imagineer

I've just been through this process, and spoke to two different agents.

One said we could book the outbound and they would effectively 'hold' the seats until the inbound became available 3 weeks later, and then ticket the flights.

The other agent said we couldn't do that, but we could book a return on rewards (outbound/inbound on the same day) and then call up 3 weeks later to change the date of the inbound to our actual dates, subject to reward availability. The £30pp change fees will be waived. This is the option we chose.

So as it stands, we now have 4 x UC SFO rewards, with an hour to get from arrivals to departures if we are to make our inbound flight the same day

In the past we've always booked a single outbound, and then called up to add the inbound to make a return ticket. Some agents won't do it but if you hang up and call back you you usually get someone who knows the process. With competition for MAN-MCO rewards in summer hols, booking this was the only way we could get reward seats. If you get a flexible agent when booking the outbound, it can help to ask them to add notes to the booking to state that you will be calling back to add an inbound to convert to a return.

Looking at the current reward availability for LAS/SFO/LAX next year, I don't think there would be an issue getting rewards whichever method used.
eaglesrest is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Sep 20, 08:02 AM  
Link to this Post
loola30
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by eaglesrest View Post
I've just been through this process, and spoke to two different agents.

One said we could book the outbound and they would effectively 'hold' the seats until the inbound became available 3 weeks later, and then ticket the flights.

The other agent said we couldn't do that, but we could book a return on rewards (outbound/inbound on the same day) and then call up 3 weeks later to change the date of the inbound to our actual dates, subject to reward availability. The £30pp change fees will be waived. This is the option we chose.

So as it stands, we now have 4 x UC SFO rewards, with an hour to get from arrivals to departures if we are to make our inbound flight the same day

In the past we've always booked a single outbound, and then called up to add the inbound to make a return ticket. Some agents won't do it but if you hang up and call back you you usually get someone who knows the process. With competition for MAN-MCO rewards in summer hols, booking this was the only way we could get reward seats. If you get a flexible agent when booking the outbound, it can help to ask them to add notes to the booking to state that you will be calling back to add an inbound to convert to a return.

Looking at the current reward availability for LAS/SFO/LAX next year, I don't think there would be an issue getting rewards whichever method used.
Thank you. Once again it seems like a classic case of 'who you speak to' at VA. I think they've gone through so much change and updated policies recently it's no wonder things are confusing. Plus those poor people at the end of the phone must have taken so much verbal abuse recently

I'm hoping if I phone and am super lovely and tell them exactly what I want they might just sort it all out just for the novelty factor of not answering a refund query

I've currently got:

April (2 x one-ways)
Outgoing - 4 x UC seats (peak), using my 2019 companion voucher, at a cost of 172,500 miles and £1,829 in tax.
Incoming - 4 x EC seats (off-peak), using my 2020 companion voucher, at a cost of 25,000 miles and £478 tax.

What I want to do is:

August (return)
Outgoing - 4 x UC seats (peak), using my 2019 companion voucher, 172,500 miles.
Incoming - 4 x PE seats (peak), using my 2020 companion voucher, 65,000 miles.
Total tax - £2,352. If I can only do it as two one-ways, the tax would be £2,701

This is all dependent on reward flights being available, whether or not they'll let me change my current April flight to August and then convert it to a return and being able to use two companion vouchers against a return booking. Should keep me and the agent busy for a bit!

Edited at 08:04 AM.
loola30 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Sep 20, 09:05 AM  
Link to this Post
KarenG
Imagineer

Mobile

They’ve let me do similar to that previously Loola so I’d hope you’ll be ok! Good luck

(Subject to availability but there looks to be loads Generally for 2021 at the moment)
Old 21 Sep 20, 11:53 AM  
Link to this Post
TelfordWolf
Disney's Yacht Club Guest

TelfordWolf's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Hi
I have just sorted our August 2021 flights yesterday and thankfully got a helpful guy to sort things out

I originally booked MAN-MCO Outbound in UC booked on day of release but then have struggled to get a return in UC to Manchester
Rearranged yesterday to do a return from LHR as there is a lot of availability for UC

Was not charged any amendment fees or anything just the difference in taxes
Also used my upgrade vouchers from this years cancelled flights so worked out at 310,000 miles for 4 UC returns

Now all we need is flights to resume by next year ...
fingers crossed
July/August 2011,2013,2016,2017,2023 - Highlands Reserve
August 2024 - New York City
TelfordWolf is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List