Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 31 Aug 19, 06:59 PM  
Link to this Post
LexiBantam
Excited about Disney

Mobile Anyone been through Chemo

We came home on Tuesday to the devastating news that my lovely day has advanced stomach cancer. Sadly it is too far gone for an operation. He has started chemo hoping to buy some time but has been told it will be months rather than years. We are all in complete shock, and my kids who are incredibly close to him, are beside themselves. An immediate problem is that everything makes him feel so sick that he has basically stopped eating - he had chemo on Wednesday and since then, other than water he has had a few ice lollies. Does anyone have any experience of this, or any ideas what to try? tia xx
LexiBantam is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 31 Aug 19, 07:05 PM  
Link to this Post
Drsmum
Proud to wear my Ears

This was how I was when getting chemo. He needs to tell the dr or chemo nurses, they have many different antisickness meds to help . It’s just a matter of finding the right combination for him . Does he have a number to call if having problems ? If so call and let them know
Drsmum is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 31 Aug 19, 07:09 PM  
Link to this Post
Rozzyb2011
VIP Dibber

Rozzyb2011's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Mobile

Hi

I am so sorry for you and your family. My husband had 6 months of chemo, once a week on a Thursday and it was very intense. He would be quite poorly on Saturday, Sunday and Monday with vomiting and tiredness and not eating but would perk up Tuesday through Friday.

About a month in he really started to feel better and started eating again.

We found high calorie easy to eat foods were best at first such as cakes and protein bars and pro cal shots and ensure, noth prescribed by the dr - they are high calorie and high protein drinks.

Rest is vital as is the people around your dad also taking of themselves. Try and eat properly and rest yourself and dont be afraid to ask for help, your dad will make himself more unwell worrying about the people he loves if they arent looking after themselves.

If you need to chat or have any questions DM me anytime.

Take care

Ros

2016: Clarion Inn, Lake Buena Vista
2018: POR & Dibb villa "Shamu villa" Sunset Lakes
2022: Dibb villa "Shamu villa" Sunset Lakes
2025: Dibb villa "Villa4Orlando" Hunters Creek
Rozzyb2011 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 31 Aug 19, 07:33 PM  
Link to this Post
lepres
Excited about Disney

So very sorry to hear your sad news. When I had chemo all I could face eating was a small portion of plain salmon cooked in the microwave, 3 or 4 small new boiled potatoes and a couple of small cherry or plum tomatoes - I lost count how many times I ate it or tried to eat it. When my husband had radiotherapy last year he was prescribed Fortisips, lots of different flavours and I believe you can get them delivered. It really is a matter of 'whatever takes your fancy' and then eat as much as you can to try and maintain some weight. Also, I know they are not great, but ready meals can be quite sloppy and just slide down - at least it helps the calories. Best wishes to your father, don't forget to look after yourself and treasure your times together xx
lepres is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 31 Aug 19, 07:37 PM  
Link to this Post
Baggie Bird
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Drsmum View Post
This was how I was when getting chemo. He needs to tell the dr or chemo nurses, they have many different antisickness meds to help . It’s just a matter of finding the right combination for him . Does he have a number to call if having problems ? If so call and let them know
My mom felt sick and lost her appetite whilst having chemo. Please tell the oncologist/chemo nurses as Drsmum says there are different anti-sickness drugs he can have to ease his nausea. Thinking of you all xx

1999 Villa Davenport Lakes, 2001 Villa Windsor Palms
2003 with friends in LBV 2005/2006, 2007 Villa Southern Dunes, 2008 Villa Greater Groves, 2009 Bally's Vegas Villa - Hampton Lakes, 2010 Blue Heron Beach Resort, 2011 Dibb Townhouse Regal Palms 2015 Heron Villa High Grove
Baggie Bird is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 31 Aug 19, 07:49 PM  
Link to this Post
Pumpkin Pie
Imagineer

I had a horrible taste in my mouth most of the time and found eating pineapple helped a lot - something I don’t eat much of normally. I also found homemade soup helped. My lovely husband used to make it for me.

Hope things improve for him.
Pumpkin Pie is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 31 Aug 19, 09:41 PM  
Link to this Post
THE WIZARD
VIP Dibber

So sorry to hear your news. My DH had Fortisip frim the doctors when he could not face food. He made it clear from the start of his treatment he did not want sympathy he wanted life to be as normal as possible, please keep that in mind. I would think your dear dad wants to hear normal stuff & laughter not sadness & tears while he is still with you all.
Old 31 Aug 19, 11:01 PM  
Link to this Post
shrek1609
Relaxing at the Grand Floridian

Mobile

Firstly you should have been given a helpline number to use in case of adverse reaction/issues.
Please contact them and advise them that he’s not able to eat.
Lots of different anti sickness drugs they can try but it is very much trial and error finding the one that suits the individual, but if after a day or two it’s no better ring again and get a different one to try.

I lost almost 3 stone whilst in hospital all summer and then when starting Iv chemo.
Everything tasted metallic... I found I was better with things with a strong taste the could override the metallic taste in my mouth and was told to try using plastic utensils.

Dry crackers helped when I was nauseous.
I was given a prescription for fortisip, which is over 300 calories per small bottle and was on 4 of those a day (I could only drink them straight from the fridge ice cold).
My poor husband spent, and wasted, a fortune on trying to tempt me to eat.
For the first week after chemo I’d rarely eat anything but days 8-20 my appetite would pick
Up.
I eventually had a thing about strong cheese, pickled onions and crackers but had to take anti sickness 4 times a day throughout.

I’m now on chemo tablets which again make me nauseous ...

As much as you’re worried it’s tablets that will help and small plates to tempt. My husband resorted to bringing me things in saucers as a plate overwhelmed me.

My doctor told me I had to think of food as part of my treatment and had to hit 2000 calories a day. He told me I needed to be physically strong to get through chemo. This was what made me determined to try and eat even if I didn’t fancy it. A chocolate with a drink. One cracker with cheese every couple
Of hours.

Good luck. X
2013 A level celebrations Mum & daughter HRH/RPR/Rosen@Pointe
2008 All the family Regal Palms/HRH
shrek1609 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 31 Aug 19, 11:09 PM  
Link to this Post
Jockey
Imagineer

My dad had Chemo for Bowel cancer, he got special drinks from the dr..fortisip , they are high calorie. Milk shakes etc also good
Old 1 Sep 19, 09:02 AM  
Link to this Post

I had breast cancer Jan 2017, chemo May - Aug 17.

Chemo is horrible and I felt sick every day at first until the Oncologist sorted anti sickness meds. They give you the cheapest kind first but you/he needs to ask for better. Eventually they gave me Emends anti sickness (very expensive but we are worth it) and this stopped all the sickness. Please ask them or ring GP and get advice.

I ate scrambled eggs, chocolate milk shakes and the protein enriched ones, angel delight, bananas and other really soft food as my mouth was sore (the lining was peeling off in chunks) but nothing spicy. Ice lollies and sorbet were great.

Once the sickness went I craved really strong flavours of food - salt and vinegar crisps, beetroot, roast beef and mustard sandwiches.

Water tasted metallic so I had lots of different cordials - lime was my favourite. I hated the taste of tea and went on to coffee (wasn't a coffee drinker before).

I found little and often the best with food, your body can't survive without it and it needs it to heal.

Best wishes.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List