Notices
Disney Cruise Line and Other Cruise Planning Cruise Questions and Tips.

Old 14 Jul 19, 08:10 AM  
Link to this Post
Elliebelle
I want to go now!

Dropping off luggage on embarkation day & extension lead info

Hello,

I'm travelling on the Disney Dream in August 3 night Bahamas cruise.

On the day we arrive at port in our rental car I've read that you drop your luggage off with the porters and next see it on the ship later that day.

My question is do you pull up in a designated area on arrival by car where the porters are and drop off your luggage and then park your car? Or do you park your car and then drop off the luggage?

With regards to extension leads I know you are unable to take them onboard without getting them checked etc and that they have some onboard you are able to borrow. Is that from customer services as soon as you get onboard? My husband is confined to a wheelchair and we need to be able to charge various batteries for his wheelchair so we normally always need an extension lead when we travel as there are never enough sockets ( I will be keeping our one in the car while we are onboard the ship as I have read that they confiscate them if they are in your luggage). Are you unable to use international adapters either? Or do you borrow those as well from Disney? We are a family of four so is there enough USB ports in the cabin to charge two smartwatches and 4 phones? Or do I invest in a USB group charger?

Thanks for any info
Elliebelle is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Jul 19, 09:38 PM  
Link to this Post
Licoricelover
Excited about Disney

Drop luggage off first then park your car. It’s very easy. Just keep whatever you need with you for the afternoon as the time your luggage appears outside your cabin varies.
Can’t help with extension leads but I am sure someone will know.
Have a great trip. It’s a beautiful ship. We are on the Dream in September. Can’t wait.
Licoricelover is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Jul 19, 09:13 AM  
Link to this Post
Bats
Disney Cruise Line VIP!

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 13
So, let's start with the car.
You have two choices, you can drop people and/or luggage off - it's marked as 'drop off area', then drive down to the rental office and get their shuttle back up. Or you can drive to the rental office, drop the car off and get the shuttle back up.

Importantly, I'd ask about your husband. Is he 100% chair confined or can he transfer and do a few steps? I ask this as the rental agency buses will all have steps and to get a bus capable of carrying a chair and passenger may take time (time you may not want to waste). If this is the case, then I would opt for dropping him and luggage off at the kerbside.

Extension cords are not permitted and will be confiscated for the duration of the cruise then returned on the last morning. You can hire them (deposit only) from Guest Services, or speak to DCL directly (or through your TA if you booked that way) and ask if they can hold one for you.

Again, I'd ask about your husband. Presuming you have an accessible room, a power chair will be able to be charged and there are plenty of sockets (especially USBs - not for chair obvs!).
If you don't have an accessible room, then a power chair will not fit and you will need to charge it in the 'charging area', normally found behind the lifts. You absolutely cannot charge it or leave it in the corridor.

I would ultimately suggest that you speak to Shoreside Special Services though as they can help you directly, here is their info:
disneycruise.disney.go/f...ility-devices/

Hope that helps, have a great cruise!
Joa
Old 15 Jul 19, 02:59 PM  
Link to this Post
Licoricelover
Excited about Disney

if You need your rental car after your cruise and are not returning it on cruise day you can park opposite the drop off area. We do this every year it is about $20 more than the car park but for us with twins and two pushchairs it is invaluable. It is very small and does fill up quite quickly though. Great for a quick getaway afterwards and hassle free. We are on our way 5 minutes after leaving the terminal building.
Licoricelover is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Jul 19, 09:58 AM  
Link to this Post
Bats
Disney Cruise Line VIP!

theDIBB Guidebook
Originally Posted by Licoricelover View Post
if You need your rental car after your cruise and are not returning it on cruise day you can park opposite the drop off area. We do this every year it is about $20 more than the car park but for us with twins and two pushchairs it is invaluable. It is very small and does fill up quite quickly though. Great for a quick getaway afterwards and hassle free. We are on our way 5 minutes after leaving the terminal building.
They may have a blue badge (or whatever colour it is in the US) so they'd get to park in the disabled spaces which I presume are even closer?
:-)
Old 16 Jul 19, 11:34 AM  
Link to this Post
Elliebelle
I want to go now!

Thanks for the info.

I did not realise that the car park for the cruise terminal requires a bus ride transfer? I thought it is a multi storey car park right next to the terminal and that you walk via a walkway (on level 3) into the main departure/security area? My husband is 100% confined to his wheelchair as he is paraplegic so the thought of mucking about getting on and off buses is not something I wanted to do. We do have a flordia disabled placard so will be able to park in disabled bays. Hopefully we will be able to find the area opposite that Licoricelover mentioned?
I've contacted Disney regarding the extension lead and they have advised that one will be in the stateroom for us. We do have a disabled stateroom booked.

Thanks again for the info
Elliebelle is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Jul 19, 01:32 PM  
Link to this Post
Licoricelover
Excited about Disney

Totally forgot I went on a cruise 3 years ago with my husband who had a Florida disabled tag and we were able to park free in the main car park. There are some on the ground floor and some on the floor where the skyway is. It is only a few minutes walk to the terminal on level ground. The earlier your pat time the more chance you have of finding a disabled bay. We spoke to people who arrived after 1.30 and there were no designated disabled bays left.
I’m not sure if they have any disabled bays in the small outdoor car park as there are only about 120 spaces. I think you would need to ask at the kiosk. It is on the left as you drive towards the main car park.
My daughter and I were given one of the wheelchair accessible staterooms one year (no idea why). It was really spacious.
We have just come back from a Cunard cruise and although it was a lovely ship I much prefer the Dream.
Have a lovely time.
Old 17 Jul 19, 09:52 AM  
Link to this Post
Bats
Disney Cruise Line VIP!

theDIBB Guidebook
Originally Posted by Elliebelle View Post
Thanks for the info.

I did not realise that the car park for the cruise terminal requires a bus ride transfer? I thought it is a multi storey car park right next to the terminal and that you walk via a walkway (on level 3) into the main departure/security area? My husband is 100% confined to his wheelchair as he is paraplegic so the thought of mucking about getting on and off buses is not something I wanted to do. We do have a flordia disabled placard so will be able to park in disabled bays. Hopefully we will be able to find the area opposite that Licoricelover mentioned?
I've contacted Disney regarding the extension lead and they have advised that one will be in the stateroom for us. We do have a disabled stateroom booked.

Thanks again for the info
Arrive at port for 11:15am, go straight to the main garage (multi story) and you can park for free with your badge (as mentioned above). Your boarding time is linked to your port arrival time (you'll choose that online), but I think, in the circumstances, it's best for you to arrive at 11:15am if your PAT is later. You'll prob not to have to wait very long to get onboard once you've checked in etc.

This is only if you're keeping the car though - something I'd defo do in your circumstances to avoid faff.

Have fun!
Joa
Old 17 Jul 19, 11:06 AM  
Link to this Post
Elliebelle
I want to go now!

I read on the port info page that adapted cars with a disabled badge do not have to pay at the cruise terminal for parking but it seems to only be vaild if the car is registered to a disabled person so hire cars would not apply, because they do not have the disabled ID tag (number plate) I presume? When we hire a car in the states my husband arranges for hand controls to be fiitted which allows him to drive a standard automatic car therefore adapting the car for a disabled person to drive a regular car but the number plate is standard not disabled registered. I guess we will see when we arrive.
My port arrival time I booked is 11.45am so your suggestion to arrive at 11.15 fits well. We are keeping the car as we are travelling all around Florida. This is the only Disney thing we are doing as my husband is not a disney person ! Myself & the kids are and are super exicted to be doing the cruise and really looking forward to Castaway Cay.
Old 17 Jul 19, 02:05 PM  
Link to this Post
Licoricelover
Excited about Disney

My husband has a uk disabled badge but does not use a wheelchair. He applied for and was granted a Florida disabled tag which hangs in the car. It doesn’t matter what car you are driving. We definitely had free parking at the terminal with the tag even though he does not use a wheelchair and we were in a hire car.
Your pat time sounds perfect. More time on the ship.
Tips.
Get lunch early. Becomes a rugby scrum later with everyone trying to find a table with all their hand luggage.
I don’t know how old your children are but try and get on the aqua duck as soon as it opens. Queues are so much shorter.