Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 9 Jul 19, 11:56 AM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by Loftus View Post
I would say a coulee of things in response to that.

When the pound falls the stock markets, or more precisely the FTSE100, rise because most companies report their earnings in dollars and they are then inflated in sterling.
I don't think it is true that most companies in the FTSE 100 report earnings in £, certainly the ones HQ in the UK will report in £. I have just looked at the first ten companies (alphabetically) in the FTSE 100 and 3 reported in $ and 7 reported in £.

Also, the reporting currency will not impact FTSE 100, equity analysts are smart enough to understand that multinationals can have results distorted by currency. The FTSE 100 is based on share price which will rise as sterling weakens because the stock becomes cheaper for overseas investors and then demand increases price.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Jul 19, 12:10 PM  
Link to this Post
Loftus
Imagineer

I shouldn't have said report their earnings in dollars, I should have said produce. My bad. The overall point remains the same though.

schroders/en/us/insi...in-two-charts/

"Other factors may have been at play in those months, but one of the strongest drivers in the fortunes of the FTSE was the performance of the pound.
This is because such a large proportion of profits for FTSE 100 companies is made in dollars. If sterling weakens then dollar revenues, once converted back into sterling, are worth more."

"As the chart below shows, 71% of revenues generated by FTSE 100 companies come from outside the UK."

Edited at 12:28 PM.
Loftus is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Jul 19, 01:12 PM  
Link to this Post
Nimbus
Imagineer

Nimbus's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 8
Restaurant Reviews: 21

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 36
Guidebook Reviews: 2
Originally Posted by Sew109 View Post
it makes our exports cheaper and our imports more expensive which should mean we buy more home grown products and inflation should stay low.
Of course, the key word in that statement is "should".

Although I agree that the weak pound is potentially good news for exporters and home grown businesses, unfortunately the UK as a whole imports far more than it exports. Therefore, in general, a weak pound is bad news for the UK.

As for interest rates staying low, that's good news for borrowers (like yourself) but bad news for savers (like me!). What it does mean is that it encourages people to borrow more rather than saving, which in turn drives us more into debt.

Anyway, back to the dollar rate, all I know is that it's fallen around 3 cents in the last two weeks since Boris and Jezzer became the last two contenders. I wouldn't be surprised if it continued to fall slightly in the near future, but I admit that is just a guess.

~ Trip Report Indexes ~

Edited at 01:14 PM.
Nimbus is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Jul 19, 01:17 PM  
Link to this Post
disney332
Imagineer

The best time to buy Dollars is when you have the money and want some.

Always worked for me.

Disney332
Old 9 Jul 19, 04:23 PM  
Link to this Post
Sew109
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Nimbus View Post
As for interest rates staying low, that's good news for borrowers (like yourself) but bad news for savers (like me!). What it does mean is that it encourages people to borrow more rather than saving, which in turn drives us more into debt.
Makes perfect sense I was a saver as well but moved most of my cash into other investments 50% is property some in Premium Bonds and the rest in funds and art. My funds have done well the property delivers an income and my pension has already made 13% this year ! There are opportunities but you have to work it and take a risk and traditional saving vehicles like "high" interest savings, or government bonds do not give a worthy return.

If I can borrow at 1.86% its nuts to pay that debt back when I hope that I can make more than that I have learnt though not to manage my own funds
Sew109 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Jul 19, 09:21 PM  
Link to this Post
Warkman58
Imagineer

Originally Posted by ClaireNJ View Post
As the title says I don’t know whether to get my holiday money now or when Boris is PM
“Sigh”
Well you better get them before a general election then and if Corbyn gets in, yiu wont ever able to go on holiday.
Villa Formosa Gardens, Flights BA/Aer Lingus
20th August 2016 to 3rd September 2016,
Warkman58 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Jul 19, 09:32 PM  
Link to this Post
YLL
Imagineer

Mobile

Doesn't really matter at the end of the day, Boris or not... Brexit won't happen on 31st October. Reality will bite him in the ass soon...
YLL is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List