Notices
General Trip Reports Reports that don't fit in to the other categories

Old 14 Feb 20, 09:43 AM  
Link to this Post
magickate
Imagineer

32 in 12: Merlin challenge 2020

Morning

It's the start of our Disney free year and once again we've decided to buy Merlin passes and if you haven't guessed from the title we've set ourselves a little challenge.

We have 12 months from today and will be attempting to visit each one of these atleast once!

There's going to be lots of travelling as we live in the West Midlands but when we were talking about doing this at Christmas we realised how little of the UK the kids have actually been to so we don't mind too much. It's all going to be on a pretty tight budget as I'm in full in saving mode for California next year but hopefully we'll make it work

On our little Merlin adventures will be myself & DH Simon, I'm the planner and he's the impulsive one. It's a good combination

Our nearly 14yr old Zoe. She's easy going, love theme parks & animals, would happily go to Disney every year.

& our 9yr old James. Cracking sense of humour, asks 1000 questions a day and likes to get in on the planning with me. Is getting braver each year with coasters.

We don't have many set plans yet. We're super busy with full time jobs, extra part time work & we're both at Uni too just to complicate things further but as it's half term here for us next week we're making a start.

February 17th: Warwick Castle
February 18th: Legoland Discovery Manchester & Sealife Manchester.

So that will be the 1st 3 ticked off by Tuesday!

I'll just be using this report as a place to keep track & get my plans noted down as we make them so it'll be ongoing ramblings from me sorry. But if anyone is considering buying them & wondering if it's worth the cost I hope this helps a little.
magickate is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Feb 20, 12:11 PM  
Link to this Post
MilliesFairy
Proud to wear my Ears

Sounds like a great challenge, we love our Merlin passes. Remember to prebook your timeslot for legoland as you wont get in otherwise. I don't know if you have to book for sealife.

Have fun.
MilliesFairy is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Feb 20, 12:42 PM  
Link to this Post
magickate
Imagineer

Originally Posted by MilliesFairy View Post
Sounds like a great challenge, we love our Merlin passes. Remember to prebook your timeslot for legoland as you wont get in otherwise. I don't know if you have to book for sealife.

Have fun.
Thanks! Have already booked for Tuesday, bonus they've got rid of the £1 charge too. Sea life we can just turn up
We haven't had the passes since 2018 so looking forward to seeing some of the new things since then.
magickate is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Feb 20, 05:26 PM  
Link to this Post
HEMANCLOFTY
Dibbing with Tink

HEMANCLOFTY's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
I can't wait to follow along - a fantastic year ahead for you all
HEMANCLOFTY is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Feb 20, 08:01 PM  
Link to this Post
magickate
Imagineer

Thanks, I hope so!

After a day being stuck inside thanks to the rubbish weather our Merlin year now has a bit more of a plan.

Feb:
Warwick Castle
Sea life Manchester
Lego discovery Manchester

March:
Alton Towers

April:
York dungeons
Sea life Scarborough

May:
Sea life Bray

June:

July:
Legoland
Chessington
Thorpe Park
London eye
London Dungeon
Shrek adventure
Tussauds London
Sea life London
Sea life Brighton

August:
Edinburgh Dungeon
Sea life Loch Lomund

September:

October:
Blackpool attractions

November:

December:

Jannuary:

Will work out where we can fit the rest in

Edited at 11:22 PM.
Old 15 Feb 20, 08:08 PM  
Link to this Post
buryboy
Imagineer

Great stuff
Looking forward to how you get on with this
Our MOST ANNOYING trip to Tenerife February 2018 ( an homage to infamous dibb threads
buryboy is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Feb 20, 08:18 PM  
Link to this Post
magickate
Imagineer

I think I should also explain how mad it sounds that we're flying to Dublin to visit Sea life.

We live near Birmingham, about 45mins away. Thought we'd make a nice little weekend of it and have a 3 night break in Dublin. That as until I worked how much it would cost flights were way more than I'd anticipated because I wanted to go in May half term. I have 2 big assignments due in the 21st and the kids finish school the 22nd so thought it would be a nice way to celebrate after what will be a stressful few weeks for me. If it was just the flights I probably would have booked it anyway but the hotels were expensive too and then adding food and stuff on top it was starting to get silly.

Not one to give up on a potential trip that easy I had a look at other options and somehow 30 mins later we were going to Majorca

May 22nd we fly Birmingham to Dublin. evening flight as kids are at school until 3. Pick up our hire car and stay at a premier inn 5mins from the airport for the night.

May 23rd we can enjoy a day in Dublin including Sea life then head back to the airport in the evening, drop off the hire car & fly to Majorca.

We've got 5 nights all inclusive in Cala D'or where I stayed last year on a girls holiday. I wanted to take the kids there anyway as I knew they'd like it so it's worked out well.

We fly straight back to Birmingham from Majorca on the Thursday night because it was the cheapest day but the 3 flights, Premier Inn & Majorca all inclusive has cost me less than the original long weekend in Dublin was going to. We did say no holiday this year so we'll just call this a bonus mini break
Old 15 Feb 20, 08:39 PM  
Link to this Post
buryboy
Imagineer

Originally Posted by magickate View Post
I think I should also explain how mad it sounds that we're flying to Dublin to visit Sea life.

We live near Birmingham, about 45mins away. Thought we'd make a nice little weekend of it and have a 3 night break in Dublin. That as until I worked how much it would cost flights were way more than I'd anticipated because I wanted to go in May half term. I have 2 big assignments due in the 21st and the kids finish school the 22nd so thought it would be a nice way to celebrate after what will be a stressful few weeks for me. If it was just the flights I probably would have booked it anyway but the hotels were expensive too and then adding food and stuff on top it was starting to get silly.

Not one to give up on a potential trip that easy I had a look at other options and somehow 30 mins later we were going to Majorca

May 22nd we fly Birmingham to Dublin. evening flight as kids are at school until 3. Pick up our hire car and stay at a premier inn 5mins from the airport for the night.

May 23rd we can enjoy a day in Dublin including Sea life then head back to the airport in the evening, drop off the hire car & fly to Majorca.

We've got 5 nights all inclusive in Cala D'or where I stayed last year on a girls holiday. I wanted to take the kids there anyway as I knew they'd like it so it's worked out well.

We fly straight back to Birmingham from Majorca on the Thursday night because it was the cheapest day but the 3 flights, Premier Inn & Majorca all inclusive has cost me less than the original long weekend in Dublin was going to. We did say no holiday this year so we'll just call this a bonus mini break
DIY at its best .
You just HAVE to complete all 32 now you have made the plan for the hardest one
Our MOST ANNOYING trip to Tenerife February 2018 ( an homage to infamous dibb threads
buryboy is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Feb 20, 09:40 PM  
Link to this Post
magickate
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by buryboy View Post
DIY at its best .
You just HAVE to complete all 32 now you have made the plan for the hardest one
Hopefully! The Scottish ones are a real trek for us too but the kids stay with my parents for a week in August about 40mins from Edinburgh so hoping to tie all that in together.

Think I might need some extra annual leave 🙈
Old 17 Feb 20, 10:48 PM  
Link to this Post
magickate
Imagineer

Mobile

Visit number 1 done & dusted, an enjoyable day at Warwick Castle. One awful photo, must work on my selfie skills

The rain stayed away & the dungeons were fantastic. Poor Simon kept getting picked out to participate so was tortured, put on trial & had his head chopped off much to James's delight. Birds of prey was also really good with a red kite, buzzard & an eagle showing off their skills.

We didn't buy any of the awful staged photos, took a picnic with us & parking is free with the passes so a cheap & cheerful day.

Tomorrow is 2 & 3 as we head up to Manchester, I'm expecting it to be mega busy as it indoors in half term but hopefully it won't spoil our fun!