Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 27 Jan 21, 02:54 PM  
Link to this Post
scooby99
Imagineer

Let's not forget that a nationwide chemist chain in the US (Walgreens) still sells cigarettes & alcohol; they stopped selling cigarettes for a while but started again in 2019 following customer complaints 🤦
CVS stopped selling cigarettes in 2014 but still sells alcohol.

Can't imagine walking into Boots and picking up some cigarettes, beer & wine, eh?

Edited at 02:55 PM.
scooby99 is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Jan 21, 02:55 PM  
Link to this Post
StorybookCircus
Very Serious Dibber

I’m a librarian and part of my job is to teach new students how to evaluate research they find online. We always teach them to check the date of publication and I use posters like this one to demonstrate why 😅 I like to talk about Pluto as well- the planet, not Mickey’s dog!- which was identified in 1930, downgraded from planet status in 2006, and upgraded again in 2018. Science changes rapidly and holding onto outdated ideas can be dangerous!
StorybookCircus is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Jan 21, 06:08 PM  
Link to this Post
Nimbus
Imagineer

Nimbus's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 8
Restaurant Reviews: 21

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 36
Guidebook Reviews: 2
Originally Posted by StorybookCircus View Post
I like to talk about Pluto as well- the planet, not Mickey’s dog!- which was identified in 1930, downgraded from planet status in 2006, and upgraded again in 2018.
As far as I was aware Pluto has remained downgraded as a dwarf planet (just like Eris and Ceres, for example). So it's not one of the 8 planets that orbits the Sun.

The IAU still seems to classify it as a dwarf planet and not a planet:
iau/public/themes/pluto/

~ Trip Report Indexes ~
Nimbus is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Jan 21, 07:12 PM  
Link to this Post
P&S
Imagineer

I can remember being in a supermarket with my mum who walked around it smoking a cigarette, there were ashtrays at the end of the aisles!

I actually only know a couple of people who smoke and I cannot believe how much they pay for them

Not having a go at anyone who chooses to smoke but it's not for me as I hate the smell.
Old 27 Jan 21, 07:22 PM  
Link to this Post
Mqt
Apprentice Imagineer

How about smoking on planes? Remember how you had to try to get a seat near the front to avoid the cloud of smoke at the back! When I had my son, smoking on planes was still allowed and I hated him being anywhere near it.
Mqt is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Jan 21, 07:23 PM  
Link to this Post
ROBBOTOO
Imagineer

I can remember the flights we had to holidays when I was younger with my parents where smoking was allowed.
ROBBOTOO is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Jan 21, 10:31 PM  
Link to this Post
captain-codeye
Imagineer

captain-codeye's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
I remember going to Florida 26 years ago and grandma came with us, she had to have her smoking seat at the back and we all sat away nearer the front!

I also remember the little silver ashtrays in McDonald’s.

I gave up 16 months ago thankfully, hate the smell now and feel silly for ever starting.
captain-codeye is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Jan 21, 09:40 AM  
Link to this Post
mickey house
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Mqt View Post
How about smoking on planes? Remember how you had to try to get a seat near the front to avoid the cloud of smoke at the back! When I had my son, smoking on planes was still allowed and I hated him being anywhere near it.
I had forgotten about smoking on planes and on the top deck of buses and on the tube. Sadly the London Underground Kings Cross Station fire was caused by a cigarette killing many innocent people

I agreed to do an electrical job in a house a couple of years ago, but when I turned up the cigarette smoke and stink in the house was awful so I refused to do the job and walked off. I gave up smoking around 30 years and I get a headache if I'm subjected to cigarette smoke.
mickey house is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List