Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 28 Jan 21, 02:38 AM  
Link to this Post
stink08
Very Serious Dibber

Insomnia

Anyone else having problems with getting kids to sleep, dd10 is awake till gone 1am every night for last few weeks, I’m getting her up early and she doesn’t have any gadgets or tv in her room, she goes to bed at 9 and reads for half an hour, but by 11 she is up and down the stairs, tried getting into bed with her, to settle her but that doesn’t work either, she is constantly tired and grumpy!
Old 28 Jan 21, 07:41 AM  
Link to this Post
MillyMoo
Imagineer

Mobile

I've definitely noticed a change in my 7yr old! I think shes not being worn out mentally aswell as physically.

But, when my other daughter was 10 she went through a really difficult stage of not being able to sleep. She was in and out of bed, always wandering around, up and down the stairs, like her body wouldn't let her stay in bed long enough to actually nod off. It got too much in the end and so we went to the drs, they prescribed a mild antihistamine that made her drowsy and break the cycle.

Hope you find something to help your dd, its really difficult - especially if you yourself like to go to bed early!
MillyMoo is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Jan 21, 12:05 PM  
Link to this Post
whlparkstone
Imagineer

Mobile

I am the opposite, I wake at 4am every morning but have no trouble going to sleep at night.

What about trying audiobooks rather than reading? Also maybe eating earlier in the evening?

Hope you find something that works
Old 28 Jan 21, 12:29 PM  
Link to this Post
stink08
Very Serious Dibber

Originally Posted by MillyMoo View Post
I've definitely noticed a change in my 7yr old! I think shes not being worn out mentally aswell as physically.

But, when my other daughter was 10 she went through a really difficult stage of not being able to sleep. She was in and out of bed, always wandering around, up and down the stairs, like her body wouldn't let her stay in bed long enough to actually nod off. It got too much in the end and so we went to the drs, they prescribed a mild antihistamine that made her drowsy and break the cycle.

Hope you find something to help your dd, its really difficult - especially if you yourself like to go to bed early!
Thank you, think I may try the dr route, she is normally such a happy girl, so it’s definitely affecting her
Old 28 Jan 21, 12:33 PM  
Link to this Post
stink08
Very Serious Dibber

Originally Posted by whlparkstone View Post
I am the opposite, I wake at 4am every morning but have no trouble going to sleep at night.

What about trying audiobooks rather than reading? Also maybe eating earlier in the evening?

Hope you find something that works
Thank you, Argh I don’t know what’s worse I’d be awful if I woke that early, feel rubbish today as been awake since 5.30am she does have audio books aswel and listens to Harry Potter but that doesn’t help either, and she doesn’t eat enough to keep her awake and we do eat by 6pm and then all she will have after is a glass of milk, few people on fb have recommended a weighted blanket so may be worth getting one of those
Old 28 Jan 21, 12:47 PM  
Link to this Post
400ixl
Imagineer

The human body clock needs to see the changes in natural light to keep a rhythm and it is required more in some than others.

They have shown if you put someone in 24hrs of continuous darkness with no light or understanding of time, some people stick to the same sleep pattern, others drift later and later.

For those who drift they recommend that in the morning you get up at the same time, get curtains open and then get outside as soon as possible even for a short time. In the evening they make sure the room is as dark as possible at least 30 minutes before sleep.

I know people who suffer and have been getting up in the morning, having breakfast and then going for a 10 minute walk to get that natural light. It also separates the day into leisure and work / school segments. This may help get the sleep pattern back on track.
400ixl is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List