Notices
General Trip Planning Other Holiday Planning.

Old 4 Jan 21, 12:40 PM  
Link to this Post
fatblokeflorida
Excited about Disney

Dubai - how long for first timers?

Hi, just looking for some general advice really.

We are considering Dubai during either the May/June or October half term holidays so will already be limited to the number of nights but as first time visitors, how many nights would you recommend?

Good hotels/areas to consider?

Also, which of those times would be the best time to visit? May seems really cheap but October doesn't look that expensive either.

Thanks - any advice would be appreciated.
fatblokeflorida is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Jan 21, 01:03 PM  
Link to this Post
megaflyer
Imagineer

I can do Dubai a few days to 2 weeks and never get bored.
The beauty is use night flights 0 they are relatively short and it examines your time there - I tend to fly out form UK around 10pm landing early morning and get to hotel around 7/8/. You can fly back again around 1am and that works well for me
The area depends on what your want to do - beach, city or desert. However I avoid the Palm, I dont really like it and it is a but further in a taxi/car to the city but then again I now stay in same hotel I have been using for more years than I can remember but I have stayed in the marina which was busy but fun, the Creek ( I stayed there a few days then a few days on the beach) and the desert - which I enjoyed but wouldnt do it again . Also dont tile out Fujairah - it’s beautiful and the sea is making there (all glow as at night form of sere fence) but it is a good 90 mins from Dubai airport and city
The summer is blistering hot (much more than Florida) - I dont mind it but yu cant sit outdoors to drink or eat (even at night) - apart from no outdoor service (or very limited) its too uncomfortable in your finery - dressing for the evening is somjhting to bear in mind - no shorts or TSHirt (or flip flops ) for men in most places after 6pm and they are VERY strict about dress code - if a women are showing too much shoulders they bring you a wrap (in some places) but I like dressing formally for evening and the restaurant and vars have excellent a/c (even the tram stops and bus stops have a/c - even the outdoor escalators - its bizarre but fabulous )

Ask away - many of us are Dubai regulars. Its a marmite place and thankfully I LOVE it
megaflyer is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Jan 21, 01:30 PM  
Link to this Post
fatblokeflorida
Excited about Disney

Originally Posted by megaflyer View Post
I can do Dubai a few days to 2 weeks and never get bored.
The beauty is use night flights 0 they are relatively short and it examines your time there - I tend to fly out form UK around 10pm landing early morning and get to hotel around 7/8/. You can fly back again around 1am and that works well for me
The area depends on what your want to do - beach, city or desert. However I avoid the Palm, I dont really like it and it is a but further in a taxi/car to the city but then again I now stay in same hotel I have been using for more years than I can remember but I have stayed in the marina which was busy but fun, the Creek ( I stayed there a few days then a few days on the beach) and the desert - which I enjoyed but wouldnt do it again . Also dont tile out Fujairah - it’s beautiful and the sea is making there (all glow as at night form of sere fence) but it is a good 90 mins from Dubai airport and city
The summer is blistering hot (much more than Florida) - I dont mind it but yu cant sit outdoors to drink or eat (even at night) - apart from no outdoor service (or very limited) its too uncomfortable in your finery - dressing for the evening is somjhting to bear in mind - no shorts or TSHirt (or flip flops ) for men in most places after 6pm and they are VERY strict about dress code - if a women are showing too much shoulders they bring you a wrap (in some places) but I like dressing formally for evening and the restaurant and vars have excellent a/c (even the tram stops and bus stops have a/c - even the outdoor escalators - its bizarre but fabulous )

Ask away - many of us are Dubai regulars. Its a marmite place and thankfully I LOVE it
Thanks, much appreciated and will definitely look at the night flights but what do you do with your luggage on the last day if not flying until 1AM?

We would want to do the city and beach ahead of desert but I am very much a shorts and t-shirt person when on holiday so not sure how I would get on with the dress code!
fatblokeflorida is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Jan 21, 01:40 PM  
Link to this Post
megaflyer
Imagineer

Originally Posted by fatblokeflorida View Post
Thanks, much appreciated and will definitely look at the night flights but what do you do with your luggage on the last day if not flying until 1AM?

We would want to do the city and beach ahead of desert but I am very much a shorts and t-shirt person when on holiday so not sure how I would get on with the dress code!
Hotels often let you keep your room but if they are busy then they store the luggage for you and allow you to shower and change before leaving for the airport in their spa etc

You MAY find hotels that allow shorts and TSHirt but very few (if any) restaurants I have been to allow it - its Dubai policy rather than hotel policy and they advertise the dress code widely . POlo shirt, chinos and closed shoes are fine (showing your feet is a mark of disrespect and never do that) - shorts must cover your knee at all times especially in shopping malls etc or you could get arrested - again the malls advertise what is acceptable and what isn’t however given the ferocity of the a/c I tend to west thicker clothes anyway for my comfort
megaflyer is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Jan 21, 01:57 PM  
Link to this Post
fatblokeflorida
Excited about Disney

Originally Posted by megaflyer View Post
Hotels often let you keep your room but if they are busy then they store the luggage for you and allow you to shower and change before leaving for the airport in their spa etc

You MAY find hotels that allow shorts and TSHirt but very few (if any) restaurants I have been to allow it - its Dubai policy rather than hotel policy and they advertise the dress code widely . POlo shirt, chinos and closed shoes are fine (showing your feet is a mark of disrespect and never do that) - shorts must cover your knee at all times especially in shopping malls etc or you could get arrested - again the malls advertise what is acceptable and what isn’t however given the ferocity of the a/c I tend to west thicker clothes anyway for my comfort
Thats great thanks, really appreciate it
Old 4 Jan 21, 02:11 PM  
Link to this Post
DisneyCupcake
Imagineer

Originally Posted by fatblokeflorida View Post
Hi, just looking for some general advice really.

We are considering Dubai during either the May/June or October half term holidays so will already be limited to the number of nights but as first time visitors, how many nights would you recommend?

Good hotels/areas to consider?

Also, which of those times would be the best time to visit? May seems really cheap but October doesn't look that expensive either.

Thanks - any advice would be appreciated.
If you are looking at the half term at the end of May it shouldn't affect you but anyone planning trips in April/May should be aware of this years dates for Ramadam due to start on Mon 12th April until Wed 12th May.
DisneyCupcake is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Jan 21, 02:21 PM  
Link to this Post
Geordieprincess
Apprentice Imagineer

We’ve been twice, Easter and October half term. Both were great weather wise.
First time stayed 5 nights at Atlantis the Palm. It is a fabulous hotel but the palm is a bit less convenient for getting around, although taxis are cheap.
Second time 8 nights at Grand Hyatt at the creek, again lovely hotel and more convenient for getting around.
Still plenty we haven’t done and would definitely go back again to either hotel or we might try Jumeriah beach or the marina area as we haven’t stayed there before, or consider Lapita to have an on-site type holiday at Motiongate/Legoland/Bollywood (but I wouldn’t stay there as first timers as it’s too far from the main Dubai attractions).

I wrote mini trip reports...

5 nights in Dubai, April 2017
https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho... php?t=1104715

Halloween in Dubai, October 2018
https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho... php?t=1106980

Edited at 02:22 PM.
Geordieprincess is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Jan 21, 03:05 PM  
Link to this Post
fatblokeflorida
Excited about Disney

Originally Posted by DisneyCupcake View Post
If you are looking at the half term at the end of May it shouldn't affect you but anyone planning trips in April/May should be aware of this years dates for Ramadam due to start on Mon 12th April until Wed 12th May.
Thanks
Old 4 Jan 21, 03:07 PM  
Link to this Post
fatblokeflorida
Excited about Disney

Originally Posted by Geordieprincess View Post
We’ve been twice, Easter and October half term. Both were great weather wise.
First time stayed 5 nights at Atlantis the Palm. It is a fabulous hotel but the palm is a bit less convenient for getting around, although taxis are cheap.
Second time 8 nights at Grand Hyatt at the creek, again lovely hotel and more convenient for getting around.
Still plenty we haven’t done and would definitely go back again to either hotel or we might try Jumeriah beach or the marina area as we haven’t stayed there before, or consider Lapita to have an on-site type holiday at Motiongate/Legoland/Bollywood (but I wouldn’t stay there as first timers as it’s too far from the main Dubai attractions).

I wrote mini trip reports...

5 nights in Dubai, April 2017
https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho... php?t=1104715

Halloween in Dubai, October 2018
https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho... php?t=1106980
Thanks. Will go those a good look. I had looked at Lapita as thought you got tickets included to all the parks but doesn't sound like its a good idea for first timers
Old 4 Jan 21, 10:32 PM  
Link to this Post
Colette-S
Bon viveur and shopaholic

Colette-S's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Personally I think 5 nights is great for a first visit. I usually do 2 weeks but have friends over there. October half term is better than May but more expensive
Also, this thread may help https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho... php?t=1106638
Colette-S is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List