Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 28 May 20, 12:42 PM  
Link to this Post
PumpkinCupcake
Apprentice Imagineer

ESTA Application

I was just checking on mine and have noticed that it is due to expire on the 28th September, which is 3 days before we're due to fly out all being well...

I know obviously it can't be used now, but are you still able to apply for them in advance? And if so, has anyone done this?

Just worried that if I'm able to do it, and leave it awaiting confirmation on the travel ban being lifted, that it will take a long time to be approved, and not enough time before my flight.
Alternatively, I'm also worried that if I apply, it will do something bad

I worry too much...
PumpkinCupcake is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 May 20, 12:52 PM  
Link to this Post
mick
VIP Dibber

mick's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
First of all an ESTA is only approval to travel to the USA so only needs to be valid for the date of travel. But I can understand your caution with the risk of a 3 day delay.

But yes you can get a new one even of the old one hasn't expired. You'll get a warning somewhere in the process to say you have a valid one but just ignore.

Slightly different now. After entering P/P details (which you can still do manually and no need to scan) you'll get an email with a code such as ABC1 which you have to enter to proceed.

We've had live ESTAs since they were introduced in Jan 2009 and renewed them about 10 days ago

Mick

Edited at 02:25 PM.
mick is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 May 20, 01:38 PM  
Link to this Post

Mobile

Just apply now .
I did ds’ a couple of weeks ago and came back accepted about 20 mins later .
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 May 20, 02:52 PM  
Link to this Post
PumpkinCupcake
Apprentice Imagineer

Thanks both! I just wasn't completely sure with everything that was going on if there was a stop on them at the moment.

Absolutely dreading filling it in. I live in NI, and when I applied for my last one I had just switched from a British to Irish passport, and that always confuses me when filling in the part about nationality and having had another one (or whatever the question is). This time when I apply for it, I have to try and remember how I answered these questions last time, but also put in a different surname as I got married last year
I always feel like they're going to think I'm lying when I do these forms.
PumpkinCupcake is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 May 20, 02:58 PM  
Link to this Post
mick
VIP Dibber

mick's Reviews
Originally Posted by PumpkinCupcake View Post
Thanks both! I just wasn't completely sure with everything that was going on if there was a stop on them at the moment.

Absolutely dreading filling it in. I live in NI, and when I applied for my last one I had just switched from a British to Irish passport, and that always confuses me when filling in the part about nationality and having had another one (or whatever the question is). This time when I apply for it, I have to try and remember how I answered these questions last time, but also put in a different surname as I got married last year
Sorry I can't help at all on your dual passport issues but yes there have been some anecdotal experiences on here that people have had their ESTAs cancelled due to them doing API. API may be considered to be an "attempt" to fly. But as I say purely ANECDOTAL - I don't have a mate who works for the DHS.

The advice I've given on here for 11 years (ignore if you like ). We always do it on the desk top with a large monitor. Joan and I sit side by side. We both double check the questions and answers. Every time you put your cursor in a box to answer a large dialogue box open to explain what they want.

Mick
Old 28 May 20, 03:04 PM  
Link to this Post
mick
VIP Dibber

mick's Reviews
PS

Forgot to say they came back pending as most seem to now. But you then get an email saying your status has changed. Just log back in and retrieve the application. We always print them

Mick
Old 28 May 20, 03:09 PM  
Link to this Post

Mobile

Originally Posted by PumpkinCupcake View Post

I know !
The amount of anxiety I felt when filling it in was crazy .
I was also really nervous that due to the travel ban that it would come back as denied .
When I got the email saying the status had changed my heart was beating out of my chest . What a nugget I am 😂
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 May 20, 03:14 PM  
Link to this Post
mick
VIP Dibber

mick's Reviews
Originally Posted by FizzyWhip View Post
I know !
The amount of anxiety I felt when filling it in was crazy .
I was also really nervous that due to the travel ban that it would come back as denied .
When I got the email saying the status had changed my heart was beating out of my chest . What a nugget I am 😂
I have absolutely no factual evidence that doing your API is considered to be an attempt to fly. Sadly some Dibbers over the years have started a new application when they simply intended to check their current status and that did cancel their live ESTAs.

Had an email from BA today asking if I was looking forward to our November flights and suggesting I did API. No way thanks - I'll wait until late October.

Mick
Old 30 May 20, 02:41 PM  
Link to this Post
Thorpy
Imagineer

In this current climate, I'd employ the tactic of the olden days where the check-in agent does API for you at the airport !

Totally get the anxiety when filling in ESTA, I think it's on a par with being followed by a police car.
Old 30 May 20, 02:50 PM  
Link to this Post
mick
VIP Dibber

mick's Reviews
Originally Posted by Thorpy View Post
In this current climate, I'd employ the tactic of the olden days where the check-in agent does API for you at the airport !

Totally get the anxiety when filling in ESTA, I think it's on a par with being followed by a police car.
Thorpy

Whisper this quietly and hopefully nobody will spot it but have you noticed that after a 2 year feeding frenzy the words "middle names on ESTA" have not been seen on the DIBB for months.

Seriously though when you put your cursor in any data box a large dialogue box opens and the requirements are very unequivocal

Mick