Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 28 May 20, 07:38 PM  
Link to this Post
Espman1
Trying for More Ears

Mobile

We only have a 1hrs 4min layover this time in Atlanta. But virgin and Delta assure me it'll be fine !
Espman1 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 May 20, 07:44 PM  
Link to this Post
snowbelle
Imagineer

Mobile

I would take the later one and book a hotel at Tampa airport for the night 4:15 hrs will go quicker than you think we did a two hr via Atlanta once and passengers had to be offloaded I spent the whole flight worried we would miss it and we made it with minutes to spare ( we were the last passengers on before they shut the door, we were in business and the gate agent was saying “ Run Mrs A the doors are shutting “😃
snowbelle is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 May 20, 08:05 PM  
Link to this Post
KarenG
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by Espman1 View Post
We only have a 1hrs 4min layover this time in Atlanta. But virgin and Delta assure me it'll be fine !
Outbound? That would make me very very very worried. Atlanta is not the fastest hub I’ve been through.

And I’m quite relaxed about connection times normally; this one I wouldn’t be.
Old 28 May 20, 08:16 PM  
Link to this Post
landandword17
Imagineer

OP BA don't fly that route so those will all be AA flights. I don't believe BA have any other partner airlines in the US so as long as you are on the flight out with BA it is their obligation to get you on the next flight down to Tampa but they could route you indirectly through their network. It is not possible for them to leave you stranded if the BA flight is late in which should ease your worries a bit. You would get there eventually.

I'd be temped to change it to the longer layover if you think it will worry you and will your travel day with stress. Of course, once you change it then you know the BA flight will probablu get in early, that always seems to happen I know long layovers are a pest but if it means you relax and can enjoy the flight over it's worth it I think. On the other hand if you would be okay with getting there... eventually in the chance of a delay then leave it be. For me, because we travel as a couple I'd roll the dice but if I was travelling with kids I'd change for peace of mind.

Edited at 08:22 PM.
landandword17 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 May 20, 09:00 PM  
Link to this Post
Grumps Mrs
VIP Dibber

Mobile

I'd say it's a bit uncomfortable at sub 2 hours.
I did Man- SFO via PHL with a 3hr 50 layover. Due to the packed arrivals hall and the slowest moving security line to the connecting flight I only just made it - literally last call for boarding!
Didn't plan to take that route ever again, however, next trip it offered the best time/price combo so I prepared for another nightmare and was amazed to get through in less than an hour. TSA agent told me Wednesday is their slowest day so maybe consider a mid week departure?
Grumps Mrs is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 May 20, 09:19 PM  
Link to this Post
Espman1
Trying for More Ears

Mobile

Originally Posted by KarenG View Post
Outbound? That would make me very very very worried. Atlanta is not the fastest hub I’ve been through.

And I’m quite relaxed about connection times normally; this one I wouldn’t be.

No this is for our inbound flight.

We're going MCO - ATL - LHR with virgin / Delta
Espman1 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 May 20, 10:34 PM  
Link to this Post
MatJohnson
Proud to wear my Ears

I've found quite a lot if you can put the leg work in between the plane and immigration that helps. So my normal plan is:

- Isle seat on the left of the plane
- Close to the front as possible
- Pretty much march to immigration to get there close to the front (need to do some weaving)

Normally works for me when on business trips

I've been on shocking connections before and made them. I once did one end of Copenhagen airport to the other in 10 mins (I know EU, but still I had to run )
MatJohnson is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 May 20, 10:46 PM  
Link to this Post
KarenG
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by Espman1 View Post
No this is for our inbound flight.

We're going MCO - ATL - LHR with virgin / Delta
That’s a completely different story then. As long as your first flight leaves on time you’ll be fine. We’ve done Atlanta home with a 40 minute connection - though I don’t particularly recommend it.

Outbound you have immigration, bag collection, customs, and reclearing security before jumping on the AirTran to your next terminal. One hour four minutes to do that would be well outside my comfort zone (and I wonder if it even meets the minimum MCT). Inbound would meet that easily.
Old 29 May 20, 02:25 AM  
Link to this Post
Harry
Imagineer

Harry's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 3
weve had a few 50-60 min connection flights in the past... all been made... id dream of 90 mins!

"... he is moving like a TREMENDOUS machine... "
Harry is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 May 20, 10:14 AM  
Link to this Post
KarenG
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by Harry View Post
weve had a few 50-60 min connection flights in the past... all been made... id dream of 90 mins!
We had a 28 minute one once at Newark! It was going home though. The plane that we came in on actually parked next to the plane we were going home on so that was easy!

I was ok with it as there were other flights home that night if we’d missed the first one - we got a silly price of about £300 each in school summer holidays so we just decided to risk it and not be upset if we missed the flight.